Would you ever buy an expensive film compact camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavenderlilz

Jun 2, 2002
hErE lAh
Hi All

Was just wondering if any of you would every buy an expensive compact like Contax T3, Ricoh GR1V , Leica Minilux etc?

Would like to hear the comments of those who do own & use such cameras. :)

I have a Contax T2 but it was given to me by my uncle. Although it takes beautiful and sharp pictures, I don't think I'd spend that kind of money for such cameras. If I want more control, I'd get a SLR (even small one like Dynax 4). If I want compactness, I'd get a good compact PnS.

Originally posted by Tweek
I have a Contax T2 but it was given to me by my uncle. Although it takes beautiful and sharp pictures, I don't think I'd spend that kind of money for such cameras. If I want more control, I'd get a SLR (even small one like Dynax 4). If I want compactness, I'd get a good compact PnS.

hi Uncle!

had debated for quite a while.... but decided that I shouldn't be buying one that's too expensive.... and ended up with a expensive $320 P&S Yashica T Zoom ;p

GR1V, maybe. For the size and the great 28mm lens. But at it's current price, rather expensive.

Leica Minilux and T2/T3 no. Too expensive for a compact camera. I believe they cost > $1000.

Regards
CK

dunno whether you consider this expensive but i got my Yashica T4 @ $250, second hand but mint (never been used, not a shot fired). was considering a Ricoh GR1v before that which is much more ex...

so i guess my 2 cents is, yes i'll pay for a good film conpact.

The most expensive PnS cam I ever have is Samsung ECX-1s (Black Porsche Design), not worth the money for its picture quality. After 2 years moderate usage the camera went bonker, no intention to fix it since the servicing fee was too ex.
I still prefer SLR given the same price with ex PnS.

I have both the Contax T3 and the Ricoh GR-1s, and I love them both - carry at least one everywhere i go.

Why?

Prime lenses (35mm on the T3; 28mm on the GR-1s) gives super sharp and detailed pics (compared with those 35-105mm f/4.5-11 type zooms on the run-of-the-mill P&S), and they are easy to use, light to carry. But also provides a lot of manual overrides in determining exposure, focus points, flash modes, etc.

Worse thing is that my wife prefers pics from the Contax T3 to my F5 - she will say "See, the pic sharp sharp and flash so bright" compared to my artistic, grainy, slightly OOF pic taken with the 85mm f/1.8 indoors without flash.

I have a Contax T3 and used to have a Ricoh GR10 (the fully auto version of the GR1v). More or less the same reasonings as Darren. Its small enough to carry it every where i go, the manual overrides are very helpful, ability to set aperture, shutter speed range is displayed so i know if i'm able to hand hold, prime lens which takes excellent pictures, can use filters, focus distance readout on the top display, etc. Bought it second hand from TCW for $800+. Condition was mint so to me it was a good buy.

To me if for some reason the T3 that i have is spoilt or lost (touch wood), i won't hesitate to go out and buy a new one immediately.

I have a 28ti and a35ti, both I use them extensively during family outings.

Easy to carry and excellent picture quality

Yes i'll pay for a good compact P n S. Believe in quality lens and camera. Have Ricoh GR 1 V (used to have Contax T2) in addition to F5, F80S and Canon AE1. Hardly use the AE1 now. Wife likes GR1 due to its compactness and sharp images. She uses the Minolta and Olympus P & S (zoom lens) too.

Yup, base on my usage... a good film compact camera (with some manual features) that can shoot slides will be good.

I carry at least one camera with me everyday.

Easier for my wife to use too!

Maybe Ricoh ones as others are more expensive.

I won't spend S$800 on a P&S, but recently saw some people selling Ricoh GR1v at S$400 and S$450, so tempted that I almost want to buy it...but too late liao.

I will buy P&S, not more than RM1k.

I have a T2 also. It's gold and black in color and looks a bit gaudy. It's the 60th anniversay edition. Was told that it would be a good buy and paid quite a bundle for it. ($3000+). Never used it though, but it sure does come in a nice box. Maybe I should sell it........

I bought the Olympus mju II yesterday. Cheap and good, if the reviews are to be believed. Who says it must be expensive?

I have my reservations about how useful aperture priority shooting would be for a wide 28 or 35 mm lens. Anyway I wanted a point and shoot which I could load with 1600 film, for those situations where the IXUS would not be able to cut it.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
I bought the Olympus mju II yesterday. Cheap and good, if the reviews are to be believed. Who says it must be expensive?

I have my reservations about how useful aperture priority shooting would be for a wide 28 or 35 mm lens. Anyway I wanted a point and shoot which I could load with 1600 film, for those situations where the IXUS would not be able to cut it.

So, u mean u carry 2 cameras with you all the time ie mjuII & Ixus?

what sort of situation would your IXUS not be able to cut it?

Status
Not open for further replies.