Would you donate blood now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
blood bank is experiencing alarming low supplies and is appealing for more donors. some elective surgeries have been postponed. would you donate now? if no, what are the reservations? are the declarations required onerous? or would 'rewards' help to spur donors to come forward?

i would donate for sure! but i'm always like shy and no idea how to approach or no one to accompany me =( .

of course i will donate. im quite a regular blood donor juz that past few months i keep hitting alittle flu bug here and there. not eligible for donation. should be available after next week when the medication in my body clears up. anyone who always wish to donate, yet scared to donate or no companion, perhaps can get together and go.

anyone wants to organise? hehe...

dolpjki said:
of course i will donate. im quite a regular blood donor juz that past few months i keep hitting alittle flu bug here and there. not eligible for donation. should be available after next week when the medication in my body clears up. anyone who always wish to donate, yet scared to donate or no companion, perhaps can get together and go.

anyone wants to organise? hehe...
Inaccessibility to donation center is the main cause. If they have donation centers down at Orchard, I'd go every 3 months to donate. It only takes 5mins of my time and a plaster to get it over and done with.

I liked it when I was in school/army, they always bring the nurses/chairs/doctors down to the school/camp, now that I'm working... I don't see it at all :(

I am not sure about this, just like to clarify whether the donated blood is chargeable to those in need:think: . This is what i heard from my colleagues, anyone got a hospital bill to verify?. I myself also donate blood during my study and army time.

I am hestiate to donate a I am worried that my blood is not cleaned, I might get into jail.

espn said:
Inaccessibility to donation center is the main cause. If they have donation centers down at Orchard, I'd go every 3 months to donate. It only takes 5mins of my time and a plaster to get it over and done with.
I support espn's comment. I second that. (a regular blood donor myself, mostly done in CCs)

valkyrie said:
I am not sure about this, just like to clarify whether the donated blood is chargeable to those in need:think: . This is what i heard from my colleagues, anyone got a hospital bill to verify?. I myself also donate blood during my study and army time.
Yes. They charge by the packets IIRC.

However, if (touch wood) you end up back there yourself, they write off the packets you used based on the number of packets you donated yourself.

ghost77 said:
I am hestiate to donate a I am worried that my blood is not cleaned, I might get into jail.
They normally take 3 test tubes more of blood to test prior to using your blood. You have to fill up a questionaire also before you donate.

blood bank at SGH very accessible. mrt to outram station only mah.

I would love to donate blood, however if you have spent more than a couple months in Europe in the '90s then you are banned from donating blood in Singapore. I lived in Switzerland until 9 years ago, ever since i am in Singapore and still i am banned from donating blood. In view of the blood shortage it sounds like madness (but not the cow madness they try to prevent from spreading).

blood donation center may be not very accessible but the bloodmobile drives are certainly accessible if you plan.

here's a list of the drives coming up:
http://www.donorweb.org/mobiles/

btw, i dun mind them charging the recipients for the blood cos retrieving, testing and storing of blood require alot of resources. plus, if u have a chance to pay and save your life, y not? it's only tough when u cant even pay to save ur life... and that's when they do not have enough blood to supply.

Lenscapes said:
blood bank at SGH very accessible. mrt to outram station only mah.
I got to travel ALL the way down leh, I always go bugis/orchard area. It's not along my way... unlike if orchard/bugis, I can simply just pass by take 5mins of my time. I don't want to go all the way there just to spend 5mins.

dolpjki said:
blood donation center may be not very accessible but the bloodmobile drives are certainly accessible if you plan.

here's a list of the drives coming up:
http://www.donorweb.org/mobiles/

btw, i dun mind them charging the recipients for the blood cos retrieving, testing and storing of blood require alot of resources. plus, if u have a chance to pay and save your life, y not? it's only tough when u cant even pay to save ur life... and that's when they do not have enough blood to supply.
Whoa.. good :thumbsup: At least if I pass by or what I will know :thumbsup:

espn said:
I got to travel ALL the way down leh, I always go bugis/orchard area. It's not along my way... unlike if orchard/bugis, I can simply just pass by take 5mins of my time. I don't want to go all the way there just to spend 5mins.

I agree with you, if it is in downtown area, i am sure more pple will have the incentive to donate blood.

My next donation date is in Feburary though.

Reward or no reward still go.

valkyrie said:

Your colleuage is wrong, trust me, he/she does not know what he/she is talking about..... I know ..... i used to work in HSA. The amount paid is for the testing and processing of the blood so it can be safely used. Just think, without the testing and processing, you risk getting Blood infected with AIDs and other diesese. It is a small cost to pay for safety.

kitkat said:
I agree with you, if it is in downtown area, i am sure more pple will have the incentive to donate blood.
Yeah, most people don't mind donating, it's seriously the chance/effort required to do it. If I need to go Wisma, and the donation is at the youth park further at cineleisure there, I don't mind walking down and donate!

hahaha... guess wht.. there's one at cityhall area today.

-------------
11:00 AM-5:00 PM 7 Raffles Boulevard, Marina Square Pacific Ballroom @ Ground Level
(Nearest MRT station: City Hall)
-------------

Whoever's working there or happens to go there for lunch, you may juz drop by after lunch. please remember NOT to go on empty stomach. a donation takes abt 15mins to 30mins on avg for me.

ghost77 said:

If you answer truthfully on the questionaires it is not a chargeable offence. The guys that was recently charged in courts were due to the fact they lie in the questionaires projecting a safe image which in fact false and they can cause their STD to be transmitted if HSA had not done test on their blood, which brings me back to why each packet of blood is chargeable, due to the manpower, equipment, testing and processing of the blood product.

I had donated blood for 2 years myself until I was banned from donating because they found I MIGHT (the doctor is not sure) have trait of thalessima, the report is not conclusive, but on the safe side, they just ban me.

dolpjki said:
hahaha... guess wht.. there's one at cityhall area today.

-------------
11:00 AM-5:00 PM 7 Raffles Boulevard, Marina Square Pacific Ballroom @ Ground Level
(Nearest MRT station: City Hall)
-------------

Whoever's working there or happens to go there for lunch, you may juz drop by after lunch. please remember NOT to go on empty stomach. a donation takes abt 15mins to 30mins on avg for me.
5pm... I still working at office somewhere leh...

Status
Not open for further replies.