Would you consider the Fujifilm S1 Pro or the S2 Pro for a digital SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by mpenza
They're both based on Nikon's bodies.

S2 Pro, and that's not just based on the S2 Pro having more megapixels. The F80-based body of the S2 Pro is so much better than the F60-based body. The latter does not even support most of the functions of the SB28, has no continuous mode (except in the "Sports" mode), high starting ISO of 320, doesn't accept AF-S lenses and several other small 'problems'. Otherwise, image quality of the S1 is already excellent.

I'd always tell people, "Excellent camera, horrible body".

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

S2 Pro, and that's not just based on the S2 Pro having more megapixels. The F80-based body of the S2 Pro is so much better than the F60-based body. The latter does not even support most of the functions of the SB28, has no continuous mode (except in the "Sports" mode), high starting ISO of 320, doesn't accept AF-S lenses and several other small 'problems'. Otherwise, image quality of the S1 is already excellent.

I'd always tell people, "Excellent camera, horrible body".

Regards
CK

I second that. Working with high ISO and without auto fill flash functionality is a pain.

Having said that, the S1 is still an excellent camera dispite its limitation (from the F60 body). Price difference between a 2nd hand S1 and a new S2 is about 2K, enough money to get you a decent wide angle (eg.g Sigma 15-30) and a good carbon fiber tripod.

PS: D100 not in consideration?

So S2 and D100, which one would you choose? ;p

Originally posted by cyanbloodbane
a decent wide angle (eg.g Sigma 15-30)

:bsmilie: L:bsmilie: O :bsmilie: L :bsmilie:

Originally posted by ziploc
So S2 and D100, which one would you choose? ;p

Thats tough given the lack of sample and user feedback :bsmilie:

Not taking technical specs into consideration, I favor the S2 more than D100, for the following reasons:

- excellent experience with the S1. Highly recommended for use in travel photography and the body proves to be more rugged than it looks.

- excellent Fuji after-sale service, IMHO much better then Nikon Singapore.

Originally posted by Jed

:bsmilie: L:bsmilie: O :bsmilie: L :bsmilie:

Oops...got to clarify this before ppl start flaming each other :rbounce:

Decent as in giving reasonably sharp images (A4 printable) without the use of tripods and solely for non professional usage.

BTW, the S1 needs super wide lens to achieve a 20+mm 35mm equivalent due to a smaller CCD. Arnt much choices out there, given a limited buget.

Well for two grand, I'd forget the CF tripod and go find a 2nd hand 17-35.

Originally posted by Jed
Well for two grand, I'd forget the CF tripod and go find a 2nd hand 17-35.

Agreed, if you dunt mind manual focusing. No AFS for S1.

Hmm... that's an interesting one... but no, AF-S is not hardly necessary for a wide angle zoom. Wouldn't the 15-30 also be manual focus then? Leaving the 18-35 from Nikon as the next option.

Originally posted by Jed
Hmm... that's an interesting one... but no, AF-S is not hardly necessary for a wide angle zoom. Wouldn't the 15-30 also be manual focus then? Leaving the 18-35 from Nikon as the next option.

Theres a non HSM version from Sigma. But these will be non-issue with the S2, which is using a N80 body.

To be honest, the lack of metering for mf lenses in those two bodies is a pain in the neck.

No 500mm mirror lenses... (no stalking... heh.) No relatively cheap mf lenses...

AFAIK Sigma only makes the non-HSM in other mounts... i.e. not Nikon and Canon where they produce HSM versions. I'm quite possibly wrong though.

Originally posted by Richard
To be honest, the lack of metering for mf lenses in those two bodies is a pain in the neck.

No 500mm mirror lenses... (no stalking... heh.) No relatively cheap mf lenses...

There's something really cool, known as a Sekonic L608. :devil:

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Richard

Eh, manual lenses? Why would anyone want one of those ?!?! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by ckiang

There's something really cool, known as a Sekonic L608. :devil:

Regards
CK

I'll like to see you use that when covering an event. ;p

F60/S1 Pro can accept AFS lenses. Metering still on, A, P, S, M, program modes still can be used. What it looses is just the AF function, and you have to use manual focus.

Originally posted by Kho King
F60/S1 Pro can accept AFS lenses. Metering still on, A, P, S, M, program modes still can be used. What it looses is just the AF function, and you have to use manual focus.

Of coz it can, but what's the point of using an AF-S lens then, if it can't AF? :(

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.