Would u give ALL good pictures to your friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

psyche

I have this very real case scenario which I face several times, including now...

Picture this: You go travelling with a friend who is not into photography. He/she only has a simple compact camera. You own some really good SLR/DSLR (eg, Canon EOS 30/3, Nikon F80/F100, Minolta Dynax 7/9). While travelling, you take pictures of your friend using your camera and of course, being an enthusiastic photographer, you take lots of beautiful scenaries.

Now when u return home, your friend wants to see the photos. Well, to be fair, he/she wants you to develop the photos with him/her in it. BUT!! In addition to that, he/she is impressed with the scenaries that you had taken with your camera and wants you to develop them too, so that he/she can display them in his/her album (!!!) with maybe a nice write up with decorations, travel details etc.

How would you handle the situation? Would you gladly do so (since it's your friend after all) even though you know you have spent a lot of time and effort taking the pictures? It's your work and your friend only wants only the best of them all! And because it's a friend you know quite well, you find it hard to charge him/her film price and developing fees.

Or would you politely tell him/her that it's your work and you will only develop those pictures with him/her in them but not the scenaries?

Or would you only show selected pictures in the hope he/she will not see the very good ones?!!! (A bit kiasu here but possible?!)

:)

Since it is good friend, share.

In exchange, ask him/her to do up a album for you.

I can make photographs, but when comes to displaying them in album.... eh...

So win win situation?

me, i'll be flattered that he/she likes my stuff. i'll develop prints (if from digital, just embed a small copyright sign @ the bottom) and pass to him/her. if he/she wants to pay for it (most people will), fine, if not, also fine (just dun print so many lah). :D

my personal philosophy in this is, photography is to be appreciated. no point hoarding it all to yourself if you have good shots to share. besides, appreciation is a payment all by itself.

but that's me. :dent:

hmm.....

I tot you said friend right ? then act like friends lorr,

if cost is a concern, just ask them to pay for developing cost... :)

Just present to him or her as a gift, after all, you shared a holiday but really, if he or she appreciate the pictures and would like a set of it, I would just pass it to you.

:D

A friend is a friend is a frined... so long he/she doesn't re sell the shots, it should be fine... but hey, thats just me... I'll be personally quite flattered if my friend wanted a copy of sunrise/sunsets to keep or to share. :D

I noticed that you had stressed the point that it was you who had taken the pictures.

Would it make you feel better if you could watermark the pix eg "copyright of psyche" - assuming that its a digital camera that you had used...

depends on how close u are to ur friend....

personally, i think i wld not put a water mark there as he/she may find it a flaw...

since its friend, im quite sure he/she wldnt sell that pic away as its a gift from u.....:)

Originally posted by Revo
personally, i think i wld not put a water mark there as he/she may find it a flaw...

since its friend, im quite sure he/she wldnt sell that pic away as its a gift from u.....:)

Revo I agree with you here. Suggested it as psyche seemed to have stressed that he/she did all the work & now friend wants photos - so thought maybe he/she wanted credit for the work for his/her photos in the friend's album?

Actually better to be "da fang" for this lah :)

No need to act till like dat one la,you should be flattered,not worried about all these minor thing.
:D

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
Revo I agree with you here. Suggested it as psyche seemed to have stressed that he/she did all the work & now friend wants photos - so thought maybe he/she wanted credit for the work for his/her photos in the friend's album?

Actually better to be "da fang" for this lah :)

yup i saw what he mentioned...but i thot the addition of watermarks...might not be a too happy thing for his friend...

hope u dun mind what i said psyche...

:)

va-li the easy...........

Just sign at the back of the photo and give it to your friend!
Like a super star autographing his photo. Or even better, sign on the front surface of the pic itself.

as long the friend don't pass the photos off that he shot them himself, why worry.

when my gf goes to vacation with another female friend, they literally make another copy of all photos shot - you get two sets of photos in the end, one set by the other companion.

and if it's a fair number of photos to be reprinted, you should ask your friend to pay for the costs, or at least get free dinner / kopi in return - no need to feel "obligated" to give free photos if you don't perfectly feel like it.

I would just share it. Its a shared holiday and so the moments are shared. Besides, when you develop it, the negatives / originals (for digital) are still with you.

Urmm... so far I have printed mine for free for people I know. I mean that's what friends are for....

;)

dont u think it depends on whether what kinda friend it is?
if its a really good friend or even my best friend, i'll be more than glad to give it to him as a gift of my friendship and i know how my friends love my work and i know they appreciate me so why not?

*nod* but if its some mere acquaintance, i might be mean and erm demand copyrights lol! nah.. but.. close ;)

did i mention that i'd give it to my friend even if they didnt ask for it? :D

if its nice, i'd sare as momento of the trip :)

the actual bad part is when u print fotos and give it to them, they reject it and say, erm, sorry not my type i cannot appreciate and shove them somewhere in their cabinet

:/

my sis did that to me. :cry:

whats the problem? just print out and give the friend all those pics that he/she wants. afterall u still get back the $ spent for those request; and also u still own the negatives

Well, my sentiment is this. Friendship is based on trust and mutual understanding. If I ask my friend to print all those photos for me, I would ask him how much is the printing cost and I would pay him for it. If he rejects it, then fine. And if he tells me the amount for printing, I would very gladly pay for it. I always made it very clear to my friends that I don't exploit them and they don't exploit me too.

You may think I am stingy but I am not. I just want to be fair to all my friends because when money is concerned, it could get sticky even if you are long time friends. If your friends does not bother to pay you the printing cost, he is in no way considered a sincere and truthful friend.

I live in a world that all my friends takes turn to pay when we go for dinner or lunch, the amount doesn't mean anything, it is the sincerity. The poor sometimes gets extra treat from those who can afford. If your friends know you well (they probably would since you went for tour together), even if you refuse to tell him or her, he/she would still know your financial well being and act accordingly.

I guess sincerity in friendship is what I look for.

Regards,

Andy Ho
Pulau Ubin Redefined

Status
Not open for further replies.