Would this lens cover 8x10 ??

Anxin

Jan 12, 2011
Could anyone confirm if a Graphic-Kowa 150mm f9 lens has enough coverage for 8x10 format?

I have a chance to buy this at a great price (below S$300), but I just want to be certain that it is usable on 8x10 with no dark corners.

TIA for any info

Last edited:
Could anyone confirm if a Graphic-Kowa 150mm f9 lens has enough coverage for 8x10 format?

I have a chance to buy this at a great price (below S$300), but I just want to be certain that it is usable on 8x10 with no dark corners.

TIA for any info

No I don't think so. looks like a APO lens for graphic reproduction. If manufacturer don't state that is "APO" then may be is just another 40º-50º angle of view standard lens for 4x5 format. The lens should have a similar size front and back element (symmetrical design).

Since the IC for 8x10 is 325mm (or slightly less in practice), if only the Image Circle of this lens is known, the answer will be clear.

Last edited:
i read that the IC is abt 290mm so you will have dark corners on 8x10 even w/o movements. has this lens been mounted with a shutter or are you going to use it as a barrel lens?

Mounted in a Polariod Prontor shutter.

290mm is a lot of coverage for a 150mm repro lens. They are typically 4 element and the usable image circle is typically marginally more than it's focal length.

Yep, I had read about its reported IC as 290mm, but just thought it would be great if someone here might have actual experience with this lens to verify it. Having said that, even if it is marginally shy of the 100% 8x10 coverage, I figure it would still work great in 5x7 or 6x17. So I just went ahead to buy it anyway. Everything in picture for GBP 115. Not bad I think.

$GraphicKowa_150f9.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a extreme wide angle on 8x10. Hope your standards don't extend beyond 150mm at minimum position. Have fun!

At f9 on an A4 size ground glass, unless u have an extremely bright focusing screen, focusing and composing is not fun also leh....

Thanks all the'老'前辈for the experience talks and tips. I'm really a n00b in 8x10.

You are right that the GG on my V8 is quite dim for an f9 lens and probably needs a recessed lens board for 150mm. Maybe a 240mm lens would be easier. (Actually I was trying to find a Fujinon A 240mm, but it's getting rare and pricey these days.)

Btw, is the yanke bright screen any good?

I have a 7" Goerz Dagor and it is able to cover 8x10 when stopped down.

for 150mm, I think you still can do with 4x10....
you can have 2 shots on a single 8x10 sheet !!! wonderful.

The next widest option you can have should be at 210mm range.
Should be able to find lots of 210mm at the evil bay... cheap and good also...

Thanks all the'老'前辈for the experience talks and tips. I'm really a n00b in 8x10.

You are right that the GG on my V8 is quite dim for an f9 lens and probably needs a recessed lens board for 150mm. Maybe a 240mm lens would be easier. (Actually I was trying to find a Fujinon A 240mm, but it's getting rare and pricey these days.)

Btw, is the yanke bright screen any good?

Get the 120mm nikkor sw! That covers 8x10 and is relatively cheap in e***.

forgot to mention... 180mm lens also very popular..

That SW 120 nikkor is a good lens, but bulky n quite heavy, rite?

Last edited:
bulky is a relative word....

compare to your i-phone, YES... very bulky.
compare to your tripod and camera... not so bulky... hehehe...:bsmilie:

That SW 120 nikkor is a good lens, but bulky n quite heavy, rite?

bulky is a relative word....

compare to your i-phone, YES... very bulky.
compare to your tripod and camera... not so bulky... hehehe...:bsmilie:

True, true..but if bulk/weight is not a consideration, I would go after this bad boy :p

$image.jpeg

We need a show yr 8x10 or bigger lenses thread. I am not much into wide lenses for my 810. I have from 14inches to 18 inches. Most are below usd300 and yet perform well due to the big negative.

Sent from my SM-A500G using Tapatalk