Would this be considered stealing?

bartman

Aug 17, 2004
Singapore
Last night i was at a supermarket doing some grocery shopping. While I was moving around the fruit juice and dairy milk section, I overheard the father of a 11/12 year old telling his daughter that “as long as we pay for it later, it’s ok”. Then I noticed that the mother had opened and was drinking from a carton drink of some kind (I could not clearly see what kind of drink). Most likely it should be from the immediate shelf in that section.

In restaurants, you get to consume before paying as there are verbal agreement/contract being made when you places your order.

In a supermarket, this guy have not made payment yet and he is already consuming it, technically would this be considered stealing since he has no ownership of the item yet?

What do you guys think?

To me, that is stealing.....

becos rules stated that you must pay first. Cannot open without paying.

Huh? Why must they do that? Really so thristy?

as long as you pay, it is not consider stealing, i do that sometime. if you walk out without paying then it is consider stealing.

actually all supermarts have a policy of "Pay Before Consumption". if caught by the shop's staff, it can be considered as shoplifting or stealing (depending on how an*l the staff can be).

my dad used to do that. i used to do that..... until we were told off HAHAHA

can just take the drink and walk the to cashier to pay it, than open and drink it for all you want.

be a man, do the right thing.

Go to Ppl house, you will ask for a drink not just take and drink, basic manners. Open without paying is not the rite thing to do even you pay at the end.

Last time, I saw a mother hand the banana peel to the checkout-girl to throw away....!
Shocking.
This was after Larry took away all the bananas and made the prices super high!

I used to work in Carrefour Suntec during my poly time for extra cash to fund BBB. I have a few cases of scanning empty bottle or carton as customer is thirsty while shopping and want a drink. Actually, there are security such as security guard, in-house security guard (in disguise) and CCTV in such supermarket. They will fix the problem of customer not paying for the item after eating or drinking it in the store. For smaller mart and others, I am not sure how they operate.

Most of the time, when I am in a longer queue in shops like 7-11 buying a drink, I will drinking it while queuing unless I thinks it causes the cashier inconvenience in processing the item.

Its not right to do it in the supermarket. If its ok then we can open Biscuits, chips, eat fruits drink everything then pay. If the supermarket allow that then they will not be able to control who eat or drink first before pay from those who did it but never pay. You will have to pay first then it belongs to you then you can consume it, simple logic. People did it because they are lazy so they find an excuse or reason to justify their action.

Next time I shall go to a supermarket for dinner, cook up a steak on a brand new electric grill along with a bottle of wine to go before I make payment at the cashier.

:bsmilie:

Last night i was at a supermarket doing some grocery shopping. While I was moving around the fruit juice and dairy milk section, I overheard the father of a 11/12 year old telling his daughter that “as long as we pay for it later, it’s ok”. Then I noticed that the mother had opened and was drinking from a carton drink of some kind (I could not clearly see what kind of drink). Most likely it should be from the immediate shelf in that section.

In restaurants, you get to consume before paying as there are verbal agreement/contract being made when you places your order.

In a supermarket, this guy have not made payment yet and he is already consuming it, technically would this be considered stealing since he has no ownership of the item yet?

What do you guys think?

Well, theoretically what is defined as stealing: Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

I'm not sure if there is intention to steal, especially if said person pays eventually. But does it reflect well on the parents and what they are telling their daughter? No. If I were really THAT thirsty, I would buy the drink first, and open it after paying for it. Then continue with shopping.

Well, theoretically what is defined as stealing: Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

but hor, the situation ts described is exactly stealing liou lor.. let me elaborate:the father say it's okay as long as u pay for it. but what is the duration? during the stay within the premise of the supermarket? or as long as u're in the supermarket? or three years later? later can mean even a hundred years later, rite? so...in conclusion, the mother was stealing.

but hor, the situation ts described is exactly stealing liou lor.. let me elaborate:the father say it's okay as long as u pay for it. but what is the duration? during the stay within the premise of the supermarket? or as long as u're in the supermarket? or three years later? later can mean even a hundred years later, rite? so...in conclusion, the mother was stealing.

Well, it's not clearcut whether this would be stealing, and I'm quite sure if the father pays for the drink eventually no one is going to haul the family's ass to court...

It's still bad behaviour, but stealing...?

Does that applies to goods that are on consignment?

Another sad thing about this is that the parent is setting a very bad example to their children. I believe his daughter did voice some concern earlier about consuming without paying. But her father just brushes it off with a lousy excuse that they will pay for it later. They could also return the half drank item back onto the shelf if in the end they decided not to “buy” it.

I feel it is not worth getting tainted with a criminal record, if consuming without paying does constitute to stealing. If you are caught, how are you going to prove that you had intentions to pay?

I feel it is not worth getting tainted with a criminal record, if consuming without paying does constitute to stealing. If you are caught, how are you going to prove that you had intentions to pay?

that is when consumers will insist on the golden rule in service: the customer is always right. so no matter what, the service provider i.e. the supermarket in this storyline, can't make a scene. because the customer can and will insist that he will pay for it, march right to the counter and in an act of sarcasm throw money on the counter. it can and will happen.

Its purely a very rude way and behaviour to teach a child..both the father and mother sayings and doings are inappropriate..However, its still not considered as stealing if they pay for it upon checking out at the counter..

Unless both the parents under the camera recordings deliberating not pay and walk out, knowing for a fact that they have consumed food belonging to and inside the supermarket..

If not caught in the act, spotted by other customers who cannot comprehend such behaviour and actions, inform the supermarket staff or cashier when they just walk off without paying, this will definitely be considered as stealing / shoplifting..