Would like to take up photography as a hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly a warm welcome to you.

Now, you said that yo have 0 experience in photography, so why do you want a DSLR? Do you think that owning a DSLR will give you 100% good pictures? How much do you understand about photography & a DSLR? What category of photographs are you taking with the cam?

Do you know what are the things involved in getting a DSLR? Lenses, Filters, Dry cabinet, have you factor in the costs of these?

Yes i understand owning so called higher end equipment when u lack the experience is not going to improve your photo taking but i have thought along these lines.

Getting a DSLR would be a wiser investment rather than simply getting a plain digi cam simply cos in future when i start to improve i do not have to go out and buy a dslr since i already own one.

Take note i'm not going to go all out and get all sorts of camera equipment just something decent which is not too shabby.

Using an entry level dslr would provide me experience in getting used to all the features that such a camera has so if i decide to upgrade in future it won't so difficult to adapt to newer features.

Nowadays all pictures are taken digitally. This means that there's no danger of wasting film taking a bad shot. If a shot looks bad i'll simply delete it.

Yes i understand owning so called higher end equipment when u lack the experience is not going to improve your photo taking but i have thought along these lines.

Getting a DSLR would be a wiser investment rather than simply getting a plain digi cam simply cos in future when i start to improve i do not have to go out and buy a dslr since i already own one.

Take note i'm not going to go all out and get all sorts of camera equipment just something decent which is not too shabby.

Using an entry level dslr would provide me experience in getting used to all the features that such a camera has so if i decide to upgrade in future it won't so difficult to adapt to newer features.

Nowadays all pictures are taken digitally. This means that there's no danger of wasting film taking a bad shot. If a shot looks bad i'll simply delete it.

Glad that you have given this a serious thought, but do note that technology keeps improving every second and a 'not too shabby' cam now may be over the hill by the time you improved, with things like Live view and Movie recording now, are you able to live with a decent but old 6MP DSLR without all these features? Who knows, there may be new features in future cams too.

Hi Jones24,

Welcome to CS, we shall all learn together...

Glad that you have given this a serious thought, but do note that technology keeps improving every second and a 'not too shabby' cam now may be over the hill by the time you improved, with things like Live view and Movie recording now, are you able to live with a decent but old 6MP DSLR without all these features? Who knows, there may be new features in future cams too.

How about X-Ray shooting mode, mp3 in future cams? :thumbsup: The same goes to handphone. Nowadays, handphone is more than a phone to just make a call. Maybe the future of DSLR will goes to the same path. Hope not though. hehe

My advice is this, consider taking a structured course like those offered at PSS (Photographic Society of Singapore) or other places first. After a couple of lessons, you should know the basics and you can do some research on the side on what you want.

Once you decide (i would advise getting an 2nd hand dslr as well), search in B&S thread here or visit shops at peninsula.. there's a couple that sells 2nd hand items near cathay etc. Make your purchase and happy shootinG!

Just a little more advice, don't be hasty choosing a dslr just because of the camera and the lens you are going to buy, you need to take account of the whole system.
E.g. Sure brand A has body image stabilizer, but you need to know your lenses need as well and check if the system has it and how it performs, etc.

this is totally OT, but when I saw the thread title, I thought I saw:
"Would like to take up photographer as a hubby"

Just to share, before i bought my DSLR. i did alot of readings and had to actually learn many things like lens, filter, dry cabinet. Including terms people use like "PP", "FOV" and alot more.

I suggest you take the time to read or ask someone who owns a DSLR to guide you along. For that budget, get a 2nd-hand perhaps to try out. I got a D70 in CS for about 400bugs along with the kit lens. It was quite a good buy. :)

Just to share, before i bought my DSLR. i did alot of readings and had to actually learn many things like lens, filter, dry cabinet. Including terms people use like "PP", "FOV" and alot more.

I suggest you take the time to read or ask someone who owns a DSLR to guide you along. For that budget, get a 2nd-hand perhaps to try out. I got a D70 in CS for about 400bugs along with the kit lens. It was quite a good buy. :)

Yes i guess i need to do more research thanks everyone for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.