would it affect the quality of the pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedetto13

Nov 23, 2007
Bukit Batok
www.flickr.com
Hi there, i was just wondering as my lecture gets really boring here. that i actually wanted to get a 28-135 IS USM as i feel my kit lens not sufficient enough for my walkabout sometimes. i was wondering, if i get a teleconverter, be it 1.4x or 2x. and attach to my camera body and then place my kit lens on with it. is that possible? will the quality of photos be badly affected?

if it's actually a good idea, what brand should i look for? kenko? teleplus? canon?

Thank you!

yes your IQ will be affected alot especially on a kit lens :) if you wanna get a new lens..y not save for a 24-105L? I heard its one of the sharpest lens around :)

yes your IQ will be affected alot especially on a kit lens :) if you wanna get a new lens..y not save for a 24-105L? I heard its one of the sharpest lens around :)

huhh damn i thought it would be a good idea.hahaha someone wanna get for me is it? 1k? 2k? haha i certainly hope i can get but i have to wait a looooooong time.hahaha

yes.. it will affect the IQ.. it will also increase ur f-stop... think its better to get a walk-abt lens then to rely on TC..

1) better IQ
2) save time to change lens.. since u are walk-abt... veri seldom u hv time to find a place to swap/add lens...
3) more shutter speed... unless u hv a fast lens.. else.. AF will be a big prob...
4) one less thing to carry...

haha...just save lah..its about 1.6K...im also saving for my 70-200L 2.8IS...have to wait freaking 9 mths b4 i can get :cry:

I'd say go purchase a new lens. A 2x telecoverter on a kit lens wouldn't give you too much telephoto ability, at the expense of a smaller aperture and loss of image quality.

yes.. it will affect the IQ.. it will also increase ur f-stop... think its better to get a walk-abt lens then to rely on TC..

1) better IQ
2) save time to change lens.. since u are walk-abt... veri seldom u hv time to find a place to swap/add lens...
3) more shutter speed... unless u hv a fast lens.. else.. AF will be a big prob...
4) one less thing to carry...

haha...just save lah..its about 1.6K...im also saving for my 70-200L 2.8IS...have to wait freaking 9 mths b4 i can get :cry:

hahaha ok i guess i got my answer, damn! haha thanks people! yea i guess i'll save up for the 24-105L, which is gonna take longer than you maswu 9months, haha

Hi there, i was just wondering as my lecture gets really boring here. that i actually wanted to get a 28-135 IS USM as i feel my kit lens not sufficient enough for my walkabout sometimes. i was wondering, if i get a teleconverter, be it 1.4x or 2x. and attach to my camera body and then place my kit lens on with it. is that possible? will the quality of photos be badly affected?

if it's actually a good idea, what brand should i look for? kenko? teleplus? canon?

Thank you!
depends on what you term as good IQ and acceptable IQ as well as budget.

If the budget is big big and you use everyday, by all means go for lens. Check out the pics using teleconverter.

If the budget is big big and you use everyday, by all means go for lens. Check out the pics using teleconverter.

haha if my budget big big then dont need think alr, i'll just go for lens man. but sadly!

I doubt that you can get a huge jump in your reach when pairing a teleconverter to a kit lens. I'm assuming that the kit lens is a 18-55 or 17-85IS. Even if it was say a 18-200IS, the max aperture at 200mm is f/5.6. Using a teleconverter will result in an almost unusable aperture.

I doubt that you can get a huge jump in your reach when pairing a teleconverter to a kit lens. I'm assuming that the kit lens is a 18-55 or 17-85IS. Even if it was say a 18-200IS, the max aperture at 200mm is f/5.6. Using a teleconverter will result in an almost unusable aperture.
Not huge but okay enough for a somewhat reasonable shot. Can do cleaning up in PP later as long take in Raw. Even at $100-ish for a teleconverter, just try first and if not happy can sell away or can look for a rental set.

hahaha ok i guess i got my answer, damn! haha thanks people! yea i guess i'll save up for the 24-105L, which is gonna take longer than you maswu 9months, haha

huh? really meh? my one cost 2.6K leh...urs is 1.6K..hmm...so if yu can save how much can yu save a month? :think:

Thank you!
First thing first, check whether the teleconverter will work on your kit lens. For Canon, it only works on a small range of tele lenses (mostly L lenses).

no point using a TC on a slow lens, you lose autofocus anyway when there's not enough light

Not huge but okay enough for a somewhat reasonable shot. Can do cleaning up in PP later as long take in Raw. Even at $100-ish for a teleconverter, just try first and if not happy can sell away or can look for a rental set.

Clean up in RAW? Errr... I'm sorry, but I don't get you. What I meant is that the lens, at 200mm f/5.6 instantly becomes a 400mm f/11 with a 2x TC. As psychobiologist pointed out, you lose autofocus ability, as there is insufficient light coming in. Besides, even if you do get everything working, what would the shutter speed be? Don't think it's of much value.

Status
Not open for further replies.