Would Full-Frame DSLR Become Affordable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jia Wang

Feb 20, 2004
Starry Night
www.pbase.com
Been considering seriously to get a DSLR but the thing holding me back is the the prosumer range DSLRs (10D/ 300D/ D70) has multiplier effects of 1.6/1.5. Didn't like the idea of spending so much on wide-angle lens but end up effectively not enjoying any WA effects.

As far as I know, only EOS 1D is full-framed. But price is beyond normal consumer reach. :(

So I'm wondering, how long more would prosumer range DSLR get full-frame sensors, or would it ever become a feature at all for such cameras? Anyone out there also waiting for full-frame DSLRs to become affordable? :think:

sorry

but i think

really wait long long.

now 1Ds and several Kodak DSLRs are full-frame. eventually, there'll be full-frame DSLRs that are affordable ;p

yeah but they cost more than $10k

i mean
if you really want full frame

get a film camera for $500
get a film scanner for $500
scan the film at 11 megapixels resolution

and you have a "1Ds" full-frame for $1000, which is more than $9000 less than a 1Ds.

So
is it better to get a full frame DSLR, + average priced normal wide angle,
or
is it better to get a non-full frame DSLR, + expensive priced ultra wide angle?

If U know how to do the $math$, u'll know wat to get.

sequitur said:
sorry

but i think

really wait long long.

nah.. i dont believe u have to wait that long..

give it another 2 yrs.. i believe full-frame dslr would go below $4k or by luck maybe $3k
technology is ever revolving.. prices falling faster than we can blink the eye :bsmilie:

i fully believe the price disparity between top notch Slrs and DSlr will be narrowed eventually..

Jia Wang said:
Been considering seriously to get a DSLR but the thing holding me back is the the prosumer range DSLRs (10D/ 300D/ D70) has multiplier effects of 1.6/1.5. Didn't like the idea of spending so much on wide-angle lens but end up effectively not enjoying any WA effects.

As far as I know, only EOS 1D is full-framed. But price is beyond normal consumer reach. :(

So I'm wondering, how long more would prosumer range DSLR get full-frame sensors, or would it ever become a feature at all for such cameras? Anyone out there also waiting for full-frame DSLRs to become affordable? :think:

wait...5 yrs?

hopefully nikon vs canon war will create affordable FF DSLR soon. Like when 300D came out, nikon would push for D70. Next step would be a cheaper/consumer 1.3FLM DSLR. Finally it'll be FF! MOst manufacturers already have the technology to make it cheap. It's the matter of time, marketing strategy to make $$, to make us upgrade.

For DSLR, can the CMOS/CCD be bigger than 35mm? I would guess so, but not sure how big it can go before the 35mm lens cannot take it anymore. If it can go bigger than 35mm, then we'll all be carrying MF cameras around in the near future.

Digital age is great isn't it?

yeah if you can't do the maths

i'll do for you

10D + 17-40 (the widest + most economical L lens) (about 28mm-65mm) = $4000 (including CF card blah blah.)

1Ds body alone = $12000

knowing that these two prices exist and finally knowing what to choose = priceless.

that's enough right ?

for everything else,

if in 2 years time full-frame falls below $4k,

then a 10D-like dSLR will probably cost like $900 ? (given 10D price : 1Ds price = 2650 : 12000 = about 1:4

di0nysus said:
For DSLR, can the CMOS/CCD be bigger than 35mm? I would guess so, but not sure how big it can go before the 35mm lens cannot take it anymore. If it can go bigger than 35mm, then we'll all be carrying MF cameras around in the near future.

it can't because no lenses will be able to support it.

you can take a photo but there'll be black edges around it.

of course technically it's possible for the CMOS/CCD to be built BIGGER than 35mm.. but... uh.. what's the point ?

sequitur said:
then a 10D-like dSLR will probably cost like $900 ? (given 10D price : 1Ds price = 2650 : 12000 = about 1:4

well.. how much was d30 when it was first announced? close to $5k i believe?

today u can get a 2nd one less than 1k.. so why not?

wilis128 said:
well.. how much was d30 when it was first announced? close to $5k i believe?

today u can get a 2nd one less than 1k.. so why not?

yeah probably

but i seriously don't think it can go that low ba ?

i mean
if it really drops to that price every tom dick or harry would be owning a DSLR..

if you get what i mean...

di0nysus said:
hopefully nikon vs canon war will create affordable FF DSLR soon. Like when 300D came out, nikon would push for D70. Next step would be a cheaper/consumer 1.3FLM DSLR. Finally it'll be FF! MOst manufacturers already have the technology to make it cheap. It's the matter of time, marketing strategy to make $$, to make us upgrade.

I'd agree with that... As a few has pointed out (mathematically :) ), it's without any doubt that at this point in time, prices wouldn't be anywhere near what's affordable to most of us...

I think the only thing that's holding everything back is "Marketing"... Manufacturers like Nikon & Canon would still be sitting there listening to their cash-registers ringing and keep their production for 300D & D70 rolling... :bsmilie:

wilis128 said:
nah.. i dont believe u have to wait that long..

give it another 2 yrs.. i believe full-frame dslr would go below $4k or by luck maybe $3k
technology is ever revolving.. prices falling faster than we can blink the eye :bsmilie:

i fully believe the price disparity between top notch Slrs and DSlr will be narrowed eventually..

I fully agree with wilis128, and would even go a far as to say that full framers will be available at the $3k level within a year. As a technology analyst, I have spoken to tech hardware manufacturers, and the position is that the initial high selling price of products with new technologies is primarily due to cover costs of R&D. The actual cost of production of the hardware is easily less than 10% of the price, whether it is digicams, PCs handphones etc.

Usually (and cleverly), camera manufacturers will price their items according to what the market can bear. But what we have seen in the digital imaging marketplace is cut throat competition from a wide range of manufacturers eager to get a slice of the pie while it is still hot, leading to drastic reductions in price points. So that's good for us, sort of, unless you are watching the price of your latest acquisition halve over the next year or so...

lol

tell that to the bunch of people getting a new 1Dmk2 that their camera price is gonna fall to $2- $3k by next year...

RSU said:
So that's good for us, sort of, unless you are watching the price of your latest acquisition halve over the next year or so...

scarry isn't it?????

this is getting so true liao.. just look at 300d... when it was announced 6 mths ago.. ppl wont think twice snapping it up at $1,999 RRP... today with some good luck u can get a 6 mths old at $1.2-$1.3k.. imagine the price 6 mths from today...

woah.. definitely not for the weak-hearted :)

wilis128 said:
scarry isn't it?????

this is getting so true liao.. just look at 300d... when it was announced 6 mths ago.. ppl wont think twice snapping it up at $1,999 RRP... today with some good luck u can get a 6 mths old at $1.2-$1.3k.. imagine the price 6 mths from today...

woah.. definitely not for the weak-hearted :)
Wooo... at this rate, in 12 months time, I will expect people to be giving me their 300D for free!!! :)

& in 18 months, U need to pay me $700 to give me your 300D!!!
Wow!!!
Isn't that great?

As I see it, Canon will most probably have multiple approaches where sensor sizes are concerned. Full frame will only be found in their high end bodies(at least for the forseeable future) while the prosumer range will still be using smaller sensors for quite some time.

Full frame at 3k within a year?? Don't think that's going to happen.

di0nysus said:
wait...5 yrs?

CHeck out some of the older news. Nikon has made it very clear that they will not be developing a FF body, not in the foreseeable future at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.