Worthwhile to get those mini notebooks for travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplicitee

Feb 3, 2008
I saw on hardware zone that those mini laptops are going for just below 800 at the IT Show.

Any opinions if i should get one and bring along for travels?

Will likely use it to store and edit photos.

Netbook you meant? Those are running on Atom processor, meant for PDA. Good for general use, but with the small LCD, and slow processor, don't think it's suitable for photo processing.

Photo processing is a definate no no but i guess for surfing, outlook and word its fine. Its a nice to have when travelling.

But if you are getting one, battery life should be the top priority since most use the same class of cpu

The one i am using, it's battery life is more than 6 hours long.

heh heh ... i've got an eeepc702 ... first get 8gb ssd ... and well, i can run PS CS2 rather smoothly on it ... screen is wayyy too small for serious editing ... but for batch resizing and travel usage .. it's fine and dandy ... battery life is pretty average ... 2.5hrs give or take a bit ... but it's sufficient ... when i find it lacking, i'll probably get an aftermarket extended battery ...

or maybe i'll just upgrade =X

The one i am using, it's battery life is more than 6 hours long.

would like to know too? and btw, are you using the extended battery or the normal batt.

I am using a Asus EEE 901, it got a good batt life of 6-7hr on low usage and 5hrs + on heavy usage (wifi on and accessing external memory card)

it came with a 6 cell batt, no extra batt or external batt needed to use it to stay online while on the move for 5-6hrs without recharge :)

Last edited:
I am using a Asus EEE 901, it got a good batt life of 6-7hr on low usage and 5hrs + on heavy usage (wifi on and accessing external memory card)

it came with a 6 cell batt, no extra batt or external batt needed to use it to stay online while on the move for 5-6hrs without recharge :)

Yes, from what I know, ASUS E PC give the best in this kind of product - long battery life, for word, outlook and non heavy graphic processing

Yes, from what I know, ASUS E PC give the best in this kind of product - long battery life, for word, outlook and non heavy graphic processing

thanks for the info. anyone can give info on other brands like acer, dell, nec etc.

MSI wind is good though... comfortable keyboard and good screen plus light enough....

wow....

good info...

even more tempted now.

By editing i meant resizing to upload into facebook or something. Heavy duty ones (which i am still learning) will prob be done back home.

Any more reviews by users?

I'm weighing the pros and cons between this and those photo backup devices by East gear.

My old Eee PC 900 is for surfing.
With a good connection you can easily upload to FB no issues :) Not sure about the newer ones but mine got no processing power for those photoshop level editing.

Running photomatix will almost hang it .

Ryan

My old Eee PC 900 is for surfing.
With a good connection you can easily upload to FB no issues :) Not sure about the newer ones but mine got no processing power for those photoshop level editing.

Running photomatix will almost hang it .

Ryan

faint, and photomatix is quite low on resources.. at least until you do tone mapping :bsmilie:

anyways, no point editing photos on holiday.

should be SHOOTING NON STOP, where got time to edit?

faint, and photomatix is quite low on resources.. at least until you do tone mapping :bsmilie:

anyways, no point editing photos on holiday.

should be SHOOTING NON STOP, where got time to edit?

ya tone mapping ahahha ...

that is why the netbook is strictly for surfing, emailing, and CSing :bsmilie: . i did not even use it to preview my pics overseas.

Ryan

Be aware that some models come with small SSD drives (i.e. 12 GB). If you are going to use the netbook as backup, some may not meet your needs if you shoot RAW or a lot of photos.

But there are some featherweights that gives u more processing punch :

sony-tt-red.jpg

Sony TT

apple_Air_2.jpg

Air

for instance ..

Ryan

wow....

good info...

even more tempted now.

By editing i meant resizing to upload into facebook or something. Heavy duty ones (which i am still learning) will prob be done back home.

Any more reviews by users?

I'm weighing the pros and cons between this and those photo backup devices by East gear.

simple batch resizing can be handled by viewing programs such as ACDSee or XNView. You can have the proggy do it for you while you are doing something else.

Asus came out with a new eeePC called 1000HE. They claim 1 charge can do 9.5 hours!!!!! Online reviews have tested it at 8 hours with wifi on and surfing net.

But there are some featherweights that gives u more processing punch :

sony-tt-red.jpg

Sony TT

Ryan

Arghhh.... Dun remind me.... Anyway, its a very sexy lappy.... Now very tempted to buy one...

Status
Not open for further replies.