Worthwhile bringing 100~300mm range overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
I'm going on a 8 days trip next week to Sapa.
Will be packing my 10-22, 24-105, CPL, GND 3.3 & 8, batt and CFs.

Not sure if I should bring a tele over...
It would be a trekking (carrying backpacks) trip. So will it be worthwhile bringing in the additional weight or will the 105mm end range suffice?

First time going to Sapa, need advice on how "photo friendly" are the locals if you go up to them for a portraiture shot.

u mean sapa, vietnam rite?
and the sigma 100-300mm lens?

i think bringing it would be cool. heavy but useful for certain shots.
but then again, it's no big lost if you dun bring. the 100-300 is no travel lens and at the extreme tele end, u need to set up a tripod ... no much point lah.

depends on what tele lens you talking about.. if it is not too heavy, why not? :dunno:
otherwise can try to compromise by using a TC with your 24-105...
on my recent trip i used a 2x tc on my 28-75. :D

u mean sapa, vietnam rite?
and the sigma 100-300mm lens?

i think bringing it would be cool. heavy but useful for certain shots.
but then again, it's no big lost if you dun bring. the 100-300 is no travel lens and at the extreme tele end, u need to set up a tripod ... no much point lah.

Yes, Sapa Vietnam.
The lens I have within this range are 70~200 f/2.8L IS and 70~300 APO Sigma.
The f/2.8 seems to be heavy and bulky for the stealth reporter 300AW... (will be bringing a shoulder bag as I'm carrying my clothes in a bagpack) and I'm thinking if I should bring the Sigma instead.

Will not be bringing tripod / monopod as it's too heavy for the journey and too much baggage for trekking.

depends on what tele lens you talking about.. if it is not too heavy, why not? :dunno:
otherwise can try to compromise by using a TC with your 24-105...
on my recent trip i used a 2x tc on my 28-75. :D

Much as I like to, I don't have a TC...
Don't think i'll buy one as I'm not the "tele" type and it's costly.

For trekking trip, I think better don't bring, it's really taxing your back & you may not use that frequent to justify it, unless you are birder type :sweat: .

Much as I like to, I don't have a TC...
Don't think i'll buy one as I'm not the "tele" type and it's costly.
erm ic, maybe 70-300 would do fine if you can take the extra weight (about 500g)
as for me I use my TC as a "tele" and also get me better "macro" ability. :bsmilie:

If it is a trekking trip and you don't intend to bring a monopod/tripod, I'll say leave your telephoto lenses at home. You'll wouldn't want to be half-dead carrying that extra weight for a lens that you may use 1 or 2 times only.

Thanks for everyones' advice.
I'll leave the 70-200 / 300 home then.

Looking at the overall weight, 1/2 kg is a lot.

Thanks for everyones' advice.
I'll leave the 70-200 / 300 home then.

Looking at the overall weight, 1/2 kg is a lot.

Actually, the 70-300 is quite a light outdoor lens. If you have good day light, can use esp for street photography. But once indoors, it's useless.

Actually, the 70-300 is quite a light outdoor lens. If you have good day light, can use esp for street photography. But once indoors, it's useless.

Well, the thought of it "hunting" for focus kinds of put me off at times, especially when u want to take candid shots of people before u get their attention.

Also, seems like every gram counts when it comes to long hrs trekking daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.