Worth to repair or buy another DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p7m13

Sep 30, 2005
I bought a second hand 300D in Aug this year. I put about 2000+ shots in the camera and the shutter died on me yesterday. Or at least I think it's the shutter that's dead. Please see the below pic. All the pics I take now look like this.

Anyway, is it worth sending it for repairs or better to just get a 350D/400D considering that my 300D is probably about 2+ years old already. Sigh.... so unlucky... :(

2vkm5u8.jpg

did you know what the shutter count on your 300d was before you bought it?

not sure, but yar looks like shutter is dead.. if the guy claimed to have replaced the shutter 2k is really low leh, even for entry level dslr, mine's past 10K and still clicking perfectly fine ^_^

depends on you lor.. do you think the 300d is cut out for your purposes. if yes then repair, i think replacement for shutter fee is minimal, but note that perhaps there are other problems which might surface in the near future. if not, then change lor. definitely changing will include a lot more $$$ though

not sure, but yar looks like shutter is dead.. if the guy claimed to have replaced the shutter 2k is really low leh, even for entry level dslr, mine's past 10K and still clicking perfectly fine ^_^

depends on you lor.. do you think the 300d is cut out for your purposes. if yes then repair, i think replacement for shutter fee is minimal, but note that perhaps there are other problems which might surface in the near future. if not, then change lor. definitely changing will include a lot more $$$ though

Heard that replacement of the shutter would cost about $200/- but then again I don't know whether would something else break down later. Previous owner didn't change the shutter and he didn't know the exact shutter count. Arghhh!!! What to do????

Anymore suggestions folks?

If you can afford to get a new one, getting the old one repaired should be a no-brainer... It's a very low cost to get a fully functional DSLR again, if you still want a new one, at least you now have 2 units.

why dont you just send to canon for a full check.
get them to give u a quote and hear their advise then decide from there. If all is well except for shutter dead, i wouldnt mind getting the shutter replace for 200+ then. but if there are other faulty parts, then surely a full replacment will work out better!

if i were u, i would replace the shutter - if it costs $80 as mentioned, its quite worth it

hehe i think the pic looks like 1 taken when the flash sync speed is slower than the shutter speed too, besides a shutter thats gone dead

Send it in to canon Service center and get them to give u a quote on the repairs. If it's costing a lot, canon "might" offer you a discount on another new Canon camera with your faulty one as trade in.

My canon printer is dead and they offered me a new one(different model) at a discount although my warranty on the printer is long overdue. During the collection of the printer, i heard from the other counter that a friend trying to convince the other friend to go fo a 5D as a replacement for the camera beyond repair.

if you travel and would like a backup, repair it and buy a new one too. if you only need a body, do consider a repair if you dun see other problems (addictive cost) at the moment.

I do advise you get a new dSLR like say,400D.

The 300D is kinda obsolete now.

I bought a second hand 300D in Aug this year. I put about 2000+ shots in the camera and the shutter died on me yesterday. Or at least I think it's the shutter that's dead. Please see the below pic. All the pics I take now look like this.

Anyway, is it worth sending it for repairs or better to just get a 350D/400D considering that my 300D is probably about 2+ years old already. Sigh.... so unlucky... :(

2vkm5u8.jpg

oops. i think you only realised it when you are in bangkok. think you better have two bodies, you can leave one in the hotel if too heavy.

for a Canon xxxD or Nikon Dxx the shutter life around 50K--100K for a Canon xxD and xD or Nikon Dxx Dx the shutter life around 100K--200K, that's what they declared.

I do advise you get a new dSLR like say,400D.

The 300D is kinda obsolete now.

kindly explain what is "kinda obsolete"

cameras are never obsolete, only the people

although perhaps parts for repair might go out of production , shrug

Send it in to canon Service center and get them to give u a quote on the repairs. If it's costing a lot, canon "might" offer you a discount on another new Canon camera with your faulty one as trade in.

My canon printer is dead and they offered me a new one(different model) at a discount although my warranty on the printer is long overdue. During the collection of the printer, i heard from the other counter that a friend trying to convince the other friend to go fo a 5D as a replacement for the camera beyond repair.

I think this is the best suggestion so far...... get a quote on how much it will cost 1st before deciding on what to do. If you are perfectly happy with your 300D..... why replace it without a need.

Of course Canon might no longer have the parts..... :(

I just dropped it off at the service center and at a quick glance they said that they THINK it's a problem with the mirror and quoted me $130+. If it's the shutter then it'd be about $180+. I think if the cost of repair is below $200/- then I'd fix it and keep using it. I can't really afford to fork out more cash to get a new camera at the moment. :(

And yes, the bad thing about older models is that they probably won't have parts for it if it's too old. It's like trying to repair a 5 year old handphone.

I just dropped it off at the service center and at a quick glance they said that they THINK it's a problem with the mirror and quoted me $130+. If it's the shutter then it'd be about $180+. I think if the cost of repair is below $200/- then I'd fix it and keep using it. I can't really afford to fork out more cash to get a new camera at the moment. :(

And yes, the bad thing about older models is that they probably won't have parts for it if it's too old. It's like trying to repair a 5 year old handphone.

How about a full service + repair. Might be more expensive, but will keep your camera in working condition longer.

kindly explain what is "kinda obsolete"

cameras are never obsolete, only the people

although perhaps parts for repair might go out of production , shrug

Rephrased,"obsolete" as in too old and outdated.

i.e makes more sense buying new car than repairing a 1984 car.

looks a mirror problem, did not fully up, just remove you lens, and use B or mirror lock up to check and confirm it, you may also confirm if it is a shutter problem by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.