Worth the upgrade from a 60D to 7D?

RaydenOng

Dec 20, 2011
Hi everyone, I need some advise on this as I am considering it.. I am using the Canon 60D for about 3 months plus but considering maybe to upgrade to the Canon 7D due to the faster FPS, dual processor and more AF points..

Any advises should I upgrade from my 60D to 7D?

Thank you for reading and your advises much appreciated..

Think you shld update us with the type of photography you are doing... sports? landscape? etc...

That would give us some information into your line of photography and thereafter provide advice if possible.

If you are looking solely at faster FPS, dual processor and more AF points alone, then you have already answered your own question lol;)

Hi everyone, I need some advise on this as I am considering it.. I am using the Canon 60D for about 3 months plus but considering maybe to upgrade to the Canon 7D due to the faster FPS, dual processor and more AF points..

Thank you for reading and your advises much appreciated..

What do you find really lacking in your 60D? Framerate? 60D's fps is 5.3fps... which is fast enough even for sports photography. 60D had excellent movie mode, similar and even with some extra features as compared to 7D.

Btw, how much AF points do you need? 60D had 9 AF points which is plenty already. And depending on what you wanted to shoot. For me, I normally only use the centre AF point (90% of the time).

60D is also lighter than 7D, had vari-angled LCD (which is very very useful, as I found out recently). Anyway, you only owed the 60D for 3 months. I would advise that you keep your camera and shoot more with it, explore all possibility, improve on your skills. Then upgrade to FF in future.

On a 60D, the only upgrade I consider really "worth it" is full frame cameras. You're basically moving on to another cropped body..

personally i don't think it's much of an upgrade. The 60D is already a fine camera.

Consider these 2 points:
do you really need the higher FPS? will the higher FPS improve your photos?
how many AF points is enough? will having more AF points make you a better photographer?

frankly speaking, unless you are doing professional sports photography or something, then maybe you may need to consider upgrading your 60D to the 1Dmk4 or something.

Upgrade if you want to.

I would have gone straight for the 7D right away.

Please tell us in which way these highlighted items / features will support your type of photography. Does a dual processor change the outcome of your images? Do you even shoot RAW? - Which means you don't need any big processor because the data are written to file as they come from the sensor.
AF points ... check your existing pictures (Canon software can highlight the AF point used) to see which AF point you use most. In which moments do you miss the many AF points of the 7D?
Seems you are just drooling over features. I would recommend an upgrade of skills - will help you more in the long run.

Many times..when you need to ask. Means you probably dont need the upgrade.

Not to mention..your 60D is only 3 month...think about it.

Eh? I thought you bought the 7D already?

Anyway, owning both before, my thoughts are these:

1. Micro Adjustment - is this useful to you?
2. Articulating screen - can you live without it?
3. FPS - do you shoot in burst or fast action shots?
4. Weight - is 60D heavy for you?

I went for 7D and found it too heavy but the micro adjustment is damn useful.
Especially if you use sigma 30.

End of the day, I sold both though.

I went for 7D and found it too heavy but the micro adjustment is damn useful.
Especially if you use sigma 30.

The MA function is worth the price difference if you use primes (sigma prime lenses especially). You probably won't notice any differences in the picture, rather the difference is more in the ergonomics between these 2 cameras. Frankly with an average price of about $1400 vs $1100 for used set, I will choose the 7D if I were to get a crop camera.

I was having this dilemma 2 months ago when my 60D is just 1 month old. Eventually i changed my mind. Ive tried using my friend's 5D mk2 and i believe its worth it to upgrade to a full frame rather than another crop body camera. Well ofcourse the Mk3 is better but it has a higher pricetag. I suggest you keep your 60D. Then when you are ready to upgrade then choose 5Dmk2 or even mk3.

The MA function is worth the price difference if you use primes (sigma prime lenses especially). You probably won't notice any differences in the picture, rather the difference is more in the ergonomics between these 2 cameras. Frankly with an average price of about $1400 vs $1100 for used set, I will choose the 7D if I were to get a crop camera.

actually someone was selling his 7D for only $1K in bns!

Yup! The 7D was sold a while ago...abt $1150

actually someone was selling his 7D for only $1K in bns!

Yup! The 7D was sold a while ago...abt $1150

These are once in a blue moon deals I believe. Someone was selling 60D with 18-135 kit at 1k and 5D2 at $1800 only some time ago too. Can't use these as benchmark else you will end up disappointed la. Regardless of what model TS choose, he needs to set this benchmark price himself. Benchmark price does not mean rock bottom price. I have my own too for all items I am looking to buy :)

Thanks for the useful info and advises.. Still reading and digesting the information ...

Thanks for the useful info and advises.. Still reading and digesting the information ...

Hi, Here is another point of view...

Many people think better camera means better pictures which is not necessarily the case considering quality,cost and usage especially for a beginner.Sure 7d has better or desired features but the question asked should be "Have I mastered the photographic tools at my disposal and do I have the basic knowledge to apply or exercise my creative task photographically." In all probability most have jumped ahead of themselves thinking the camera will do all the work and you just need to press the button.

People take for granted how they percieve this 3D reality we call life but do not realise that it is the presence of light that allows them
to see reality as they have experienced visually.Without light we cannot see objects at all because objects by themselves cannot be seen but when light reflect off them can they "show" themselves.So one should understand first what is light and it's behaviour on
different objects and materials.This will be the kind of knowledge that needs to be learnt first and next comes learning how to use
the tools like the camera which involves the subject of exposure. If there is one book that is a must have in your photography library,
the one I highly recommend is "Light Science and Magic" an introduction to photographic lighting.
authors: Fil Hunter,Paul Fuqua and Steven Biver ISBN : 978-024812255

Amazon.com: Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting (9780240812250): Fil Hunter, Paul Fuqua, Steven Biver: Books

The authors of this book say in order to master photography one should understand the nature and properties of light for the fact
in photography you are dealing with the management of reflections technically of not only the light source but more importantly that of the subject as it reflects in different ways. Learning how light interact with objects or materials is the "secret" or tool.

TS, you should think through what is limiting you on the 60D.
Nowadays, everyone seems to need that 24-30fps frame rate; thats called video btw and its avaliable on the 60D too :D
60D and 7D share the same sensor. You pay more for the fps and slightly faster AF, you have to decide if the money spent is worth it to the photos you do.

Frankly, with only 3 months under your belt with the camera, I think its more worthwhile to learn your camera/lenses and technique properly.
Ever seen some of the street/candid shots done in that sub-forum with an iphone? Puts many DSLRs users to shame.
Its always easy to fall for the instant gratification and fallacy that better camera means better photos.
Its so easy, since its just the press of the PIN and swipe of the ATM card, while technique needs to be learned and sometimes not even.

At the end of the day, its your money, and who am I to tell you not to spend it.
There will always be those who will give you 'air wear' remarks like "Once you try XX you won't look back" "XX sure worth it over CCC" ;
But ask the hows, whys?
Where is the proof in photos?

Hi bro,I had tis dilemma 3 mths back also...well I guess like wat the others had mentioned,you have to set a benchmark for yourself.Know what your genre of photography is & make a decision.IMHO,the 7D has a better build quality,in that is is made of magnesium alloy which means the body is much heavier.Mote AF point & 8FPS.Anyway,my 60D has served mi well till now.Cheers!

TS has decided to sell his 60D in B&S.
Posted 7 (yes...Seven!) New & Separate WTS Threads within 5 days!!!

TS has decided to sell his 60D in B&S.
Posted 7 (yes...Seven!) New & Separate WTS Threads within 5 days!!!

Well, TS has made his choice since he is a believer in technology and indeed 7d is a better camera but he still have to develope
his artistic sensibility and learn to see light in it's various forms and manipulate it to his photographic vision.I think it is all for the better
as he cannot blame the camera's inadequatecy anymore.You get what you pay for,there's no right or wrong.