Worth buying from BnS?

Stormy08

Mar 14, 2008
Hi, I am preparing to upgrade from the current Nikon kit lens and intend to buy quality primes and zooms. Was looking at the BnS section and observed that the prices quoted for lenses without warranty were similar or more costly than brand new grey lenses from local online shops. Such online shops even offer shop gurantee. One particular online shop even offer to pay for repairs done at NSC! Has anyone faced issues with shopping online for greys, particularly the claiming of warranty? Cheers

Hi, I am preparing to upgrade from the current Nikon kit lens and intend to buy quality primes and zooms. Was looking at the BnS section and observed that the prices quoted for lenses without warranty were similar or more costly than brand new grey lenses from local online shops. Such online shops even offer shop gurantee. One particular online shop even offer to pay for repairs done at NSC! Has anyone faced issues with shopping online for greys, particularly the claiming of warranty? Cheers

not worth. cos BNS ppl are crazy. price almost nt much diff from buying new set as mentioned. go buy grey

Worst case scenario with grey lens you don't get warranty, which will be the same as BnS. I would prefer grey if the prices are not very different.

Aiyoh just a kit lens, if spoil an throw away.
B&S not worth for better buy new.

JK lah.. B&S also have comes with the warranty left. Everything is just depend you pay for it.

Almost new sure the price is higher, if condition as 7/10 you will worries the warranty after bought got problem or not..

I only can said good luck.. Your money still belong to you, buy new or B&S or Grey set.
This is up to you.

For me I can't afford that new price then will be prefer B&S and see what the condition I will prefer on.

Thanks

Last edited:
Aiyoh just a kit lens, if spoil an throw away.
B&S not worth for better buy new.

JK lah.. B&S also have comes with the warranty left. Everything is just depend you pay for it.

Almost new sure the price is higher, if condition as 7/10 you will worries the warranty after bought got problem or not..

I only can said good luck.. Your money still belong to you, buy new or B&S or Grey set.
This is up to you.

For me I can't afford that new price then will be prefer B&S and see what the condition I will prefer on.

Thanks

he is upgrading his kit lens.

Yes a lot of unrealistic asking prices.nowadays....i was looking ard for a used d90, the prices range from 500-1150 :eek:, and i saw many 35 1.8g going for very close to brand new prices or even higher.

Got to do ur homework before shopping ard.

Check out the used shops at peninsular, u can have a feel of the mkt price of used sets at these shops...u shld not be paying more to forum sellers

Last edited:
Yea the prices at BnS nowadays are a little ridiculous. My friend was selling his lens some time back and putting at a lower than average selling price, which I find rather reasonable. He actually receive PMs asking him why he "spoil market" :bsmilie:

Just get grey one lah... unless the lens are no longer in production and you really need one, then get from BnS... even then I got most of my 2nd hand lenses from ebay.

spree86 said:
Yea the prices at BnS nowadays are a little ridiculous. My friend was selling his lens some time back and putting at a lower than average selling price, which I find rather reasonable. He actually receive PMs asking him why he "spoil market" :bsmilie:

Are u serious???? I mean the spoil mkt part, lol.

spree86 said:

I have to agree that Singapore's second hand market on CS is a bit ridiculous. Considering that you don't even get a significant discount at times when the product is out of warranty even, personally the risk is not worth it. Some sellers seem to think that because something is one week old they can sell it at 50 dollars off. No other markets for goods seem to hold this mentality..

I used to source items from overseas forums such as photo.net, fredmiranda etc. With watchful waiting + doing up sums, you can get fantastic deals.

I found the clubsnap 2005 (obsolete) price guide for Minolta AF Reflex 500 mm f/8 - SGD$650~800

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/koni...gapore-price-guide-km-km-compatible-lens.html

A guy in BnS also trying sell his lens in this price range.

Is the clubsnap old price guide giving the BnS sellers the wrong impression that they should sell their old lens in this price range ?

in the end the buyer must do homework, once in a while there are some true bargains
if too close to new price i would buy new instead.

if nobody buy 2nd hand then they will have to lower the price if they want to sell.
just as long as there is a willing buyer the price will not go down.

you can use the B&S as research tool as well, find out how much people are selling
i believe that this is the real reason the prices are high,

let says i want to sell a lens, i search the B&S and i see tom, dick and harry selling around $500
so i also sell at $500, if no one wants to buy then lower lor

in the end the buyer must do homework, once in a while there are some true bargains

if nobody buy 2nd hand then they will have to lower the price if they want to sell.

you can use the B&S as research tool as well, find out how much people are selling

let says i want to sell a lens, i search the B&S and i see tom, dick and harry selling around $500

agree....

Such is the free market.

That is why after research the clubsnap BnS, many people end up buying from e-bay.:bsmilie:

yea. buy grey better.

Stormy08 said:

Just use some common sense in making judgments

watch out for traders. click on the user profile and see if this user has been persistently putting out items for sale, eg more than 1 a week or 3-5 items a blast. also, check out how long the item has been on market.

some items are harder to sell -- good leverage in price negotiation, as no taker may imply item is overpriced (market equilibrium theory).

some items may have been previously listed by user as having defects, imperfections, damage, etc - not reflected in the most recent BnS post, aka, covered up. if the seller insists that item is ok, ask in person specifically about the previously listed defects and observe body language.

do homework - what is Ebay price? for me I would think a fair BnS price is when the numerical value of the price seen on Ebay (quoted in USD) matches the item price seen on BnS (quoted in SGD). at least a 20-30% risky-asset-discount .

do homework - item review elsewhere on the net. see if the item you are looking at in BnS is a real quality item or a dud?