Worth bringing 70-200L F/4 in Asia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
Although I have one more month before I heard off to Hong Kong... and Cambodia...
I am now preparing a checklist of what to bring.

Here's my gear at the moment:
1. 350D + 2 batteries + 1 RS-1 + 1 RS-60E
2. 4x 1Gb + 2x 512mb + 1x 128mb
3. Canon EFS 10-22
4. Canon EF 24-70L
5. Giottos tripod w/ 488RC0
6. Ixus 400 (for videos :D )
7. B+W CPL (Is it useful in Hong Kong? Heard the sky is greyish)

I'm thinking is it worth bringing my tele... 70-200L F/4 or even the Sigma 70-300 APO over to places like HK and Siam Reap... and possibly Chiang Mai (which is supposed to be this week until it got delayed)
What kind of subjects (over there) would I be encountering to use the tele?

Pardon me for asking for it's my first time going to these places for vacation.

snap shots of poor people with emotions are just one of the few you can do with long lenses =)

snap shots of poor people with emotions are just one of the few you can do with long lenses =)

Got that... may be useful in Cambodia and Chiang Mai...
But what about Hong Kong? Worth bringing?

Sorry for asking... I'm afraid both my gf and I lose control and buy buy buy... end up not enough storage... then regret "aiyah, shouldn't have brought tele... no subjects to shoot with it..."

go HK prepare to BUY BUY BUY. =p

I think for travel, go light. otherwise, damn shag. Most of the time, wide angle will be used I feel.

Regards,
tltan

Got that... may be useful in Cambodia and Chiang Mai...
But what about Hong Kong? Worth bringing?

Sorry for asking... I'm afraid both my gf and I lose control and buy buy buy... end up not enough storage... then regret "aiyah, shouldn't have brought tele... no subjects to shoot with it..."

Before you BBB at HK, maybe you BBB a 18-200mm in SG and lighten your load with this only lens before you set off! :bsmilie:

Before you BBB at HK, maybe you BBB a 18-200mm in SG and lighten your load with this only lens before you set off! :bsmilie:

I know I would be likely to be "whacked" by a lot of users when I say this... I generally feel that such a lens with long focal range would be impressive... moreover you never know you'll need a fast lens indoors (esp if suay like rain...etc). So I'll still stick to a F/2.8 no matter what for outdoors... lastly, it produces the nice shallow DOF when it comes to photographing food or people. :D

go HK prepare to BUY BUY BUY. =p

I think for travel, go light. otherwise, damn shag. Most of the time, wide angle will be used I feel.

Regards,
tltan

Yes... getting old liao... Don't think I can handle all three lens + tripod if go trekking..

Status
Not open for further replies.