Worst habits of Singaporeans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber_Duck

May 26, 2004
nippon
www.flickr.com
Saw this in the yahoo website....

SINGAPORE: The verdict is out on the best and worst habits in Singapore — at least according to MediaCorp’s Class 95 presenters who had challenged listeners to post videos of Singaporeans’ good and bad habits on podcast.sg.
ADVERTISEMENT

The entries were judged based on these criteria — Are the habits growing? Are they unique to Singaporeans? Are they compelling enough to effect change?

A Class 95 listener, Ariel Fernandez, won the Bad Habit prize for posting a clip showing masses of people jaywalking.

Presenter Mark Van Cuylenberg, who is widely known as The Flying Dutchman, said: "We really need to get a campaign out that teaches pedestrians how to use the roads. We’ve done it with drivers, now let’s do it with pedestrians. We need it desperately."

Other pet peeves that were featured in short clips include people reserving tables with umbrellas and indiscriminate littering.

On the other hand, in the Good Habit category, a clip showing courteous people on escalators was awarded the top prize.

"Everybody follows and stands on one side of the escalator, so that people who are rushing to work can just run up," said Chee Ling Fei, who posted the winning clip.

The two winners walked away with cash prizes of S$950 each.....

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20080728/tap-278-mediacorps-class-95-lists-best-w-231650b.html

SO WHAT WE HAVE TO SAID SINGAPOREAN..!!!?!?!?!?!?
:embrass: or :angry:

Jaywalking is the worst bad habit? Man, this island needs to wake up.

A Class 95 listener, Ariel Fernandez, won the Bad Habit prize for posting a clip showing masses of people jaywalking.

I guess I need to see the clip before deciding, but jaywalking is the worst bad habit??

I'd go for littering. Hardly unique to Singapore, but a shame considering that we have a reputation as a very clean city. Every time I hear that, I explain that this is due to the hardworking cleaners and partly the punishment, not the people.

SO WHAT WE HAVE TO SAID SINGAPOREAN..!!!?!?!?!?!?
:embrass: or :angry:

How about : bad grammar? :bsmilie: No offense meant, said in fun, my apologies if any taken.

if jaywalking is the worst, then what is peeing in hdb lift, puking in the hdb staircase, throwing used condoms out of the window (and they stuck at the roof of the lowest floor unit), letting the dog pet poop all over the corridor, and so on and so on. If i have to continue the list, I don't need to work already.

Jaywalking is the worst bad habit? Man, this island needs to wake up.

The root bad habit is the widespread attitude that it's ok to ignore the law as long as you're not getting caught. From ignoring red traffic lights to cheating to software piracy to tax evasion (note the recurrent postings here on "how do I bring my overseas purchase to SG without paying taxes?) The population at large seems to have a serious problem with basic ethics and the concepts of "right" and "wrong".

I can think of a billion bad habits of Singaporeans but the top of the list is still none other than................the statement below.

"They just love to complain about anything under the big blue sky"

I was hoping that this "award" would bring to attention real social problems surfacing recently and see how we can work to get everyone to be more socially responsible.

Example things such as waiting in line for the train, allowing passengers to alight first. Not putting your bloody leg on bus seats opposite of you. Controlling your kids in public...

but instead we have jay walking as the "worst habit...." what a lame one.

Too many to list LOL, but my three biggest.:)

- Not carrying used trays and utensils back in foodcourts
- Turning without signalling
- Talking in cinemas

turning without signalling, switch lanes without signalling, sudden braking are the worst thing that can happen to any driver on the road...

IMO The worst habit is thinking that we have no bad habits... :dunno:

Someone should video those folks who smoke or urinate inside the lift.....

if i saw them when they doing it, i would have whacked their head first instead of taking video.
I can only show the photos of the evidence.

turning without signalling, switch lanes without signalling, sudden braking are the worst thing that can happen to any driver on the road...

Actually if you sit down at a busy street corner and watch people walking about...walkers do exactly the same thing. That "switch-off" your brain and "switch on selfish"mode comes into play. Getting behind a wheel of a car just makes it that much more dangerous.

pole huggers on trains... :thumbsd:

pole huggers on trains... :thumbsd:

I have remarked this to a few "polers" on the train in the past. "No spine har" Especially on a crowded train, not enough seats, train is jerky, and some folks need to hold the bar to steady themselves and you have one slacker always who feel their MRT ticket of admission gives them the use the pole exclusively.

Here's a good tip that I use. Pretend to loose your balance and grab the pole, shove a few fingers at their back to get them jerk as you grab the pole to steady yourself. There is no way he/she can say you are in the wrong. You are just preventing yourself from falling. That is the exact rason for the pole being there. I know it is bad but with people like that...I have not one bit of sympathy as they have none for anyone just by their very act of selfish inconsideration.

I dare say it...most of the time they know it but they just do it...push their luck. Just feel the need to dominate others. A bully in other words. Not on my watch.

I have remarked this to a few "polers" on the train in the past. "No spine har" Especially on a crowded train, not enough seats, train is jerky, and some folks need to hold the bar to steady themselves and you have one slacker always who feel their MRT ticket of admission gives them the use the pole exclusively.

Here's a good tip that I use. Pretend to loose your balance and grab the pole, shove a few fingers at their back to get them jerk as you grab the pole to steady yourself. There is no way he/she can say you are in the wrong. You are just preventing yourself from falling. That is the exact rason for the pole being there. I know it is bad but with people like that...I have not one bit of sympathy as they have none for anyone just by their very act of selfish inconsideration.

I dare say it...most of the time they know it but they just do it...push their luck. Just feel the need to dominate others. A bully in other words. Not on my watch.

i wont say it if its a lady lor, wait bystanders :nono:... ;(

The root bad habit is the widespread attitude that it's ok to ignore the law as long as you're not getting caught. From ignoring red traffic lights to cheating to software piracy to tax evasion (note the recurrent postings here on "how do I bring my overseas purchase to SG without paying taxes?) The population at large seems to have a serious problem with basic ethics and the concepts of "right" and "wrong".

If you hadn't noticed ethics is a very alien concept to Singaporeans in general. Just look at the supposed plagiarist blogger that Stomp employs and you'll see a fine example of singaporean bad habits are work.

Status
Not open for further replies.