Worst habits of Singaporeans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the survey was probably done with control questions, that's why we get jaywalking as the worst habit. For example, the survey question could simply be like:

What do you consider to be the worst habit of Singaporeans?
a) Jaywalking on a busy road
b) Slurping soup in expensive restaurant
c) Talking loudly in library
d) Others (Please specify:_______)

If the questions was simply just a blank for the person to fill up, there will be probably be
too many different replies to properly tabulate. Alternatively, by giving the respondents limited choices which don't seem too bad, they can simply make the survey look less negative.

I'm very annoyed by people eating in the train, and i'm beginning to see more and more of such bad habits. The ultimate, a lady eating her noodles in the train. Two weeks ago, i just saw a group of students having a picnic in Tiong Bahru MRT Station. :confused:

I'm very annoyed by people eating in the train, and i'm beginning to see more and more of such bad habits. The ultimate, a lady eating her noodles in the train. Two weeks ago, i just saw a group of students having a picnic in Tiong Bahru MRT Station. :confused:

Probably a good sign too? A sign that our 'draconian' law and enforcement system is loosening up? :think:

Probably a good sign too? A sign that our 'draconian' law and enforcement system is loosening up? :think:

Lol....a good sigh?.......i don't think this has anything to do with our 'draconian' law, but more of being considerate towards other passengers......

IMO there are always flaws in different society, why do we always complain and never praise those singaporeans who contributes to the making of a well-mannered society?

Why complain about commuters not giving up their seats to elderly? Why not go ahead and give them a seat(which i think most of those who complain do rite?) or step up to ask someone to give up their seat to show a good example, spreading the goodwill, instead of grumbling on your own then becoming sulky and sarcastic? And i do give up the seat in MRT, observe my manners in public, not trying to show off. But i feel that we should take the first step to help and improve things instead of shoving angry thoughts every now and then.

Does complaining about such ill-mannered people makes you a model-citizen? No offense to anyone, but if we really wana improve, think of a solution instead of spreading the flames. Thats all i conclude from different forum views and majorly STOMP itself.

Maybe it's a widespread unconscious public expression of helplessness?
After all, if I could just get up roll up my sleeves and confidently solve a problem, why waste time complaining?

agree, if problem can be dealt with, might as well do it. on a personal level, i try to be neutral instead of adding to a problem. if can help, do so.

little things like not littering, standing on one side when riding escalators, not jaywalking only require individual efforts.

part of the blame goes to businesses ever eager to pass operating costs to consumers on a whimp. as it goes consumers/customers have a certain level of expectation pertaining to the rise in costs for a service or product. examples of (IMPO) local pet peeve includes 10% service charge at restaurants, ever increasing cost of public trainsport, BYOB day (1 2 minimise overheads say lar:devil:), etc.

strangely, in a modern society the level of consumer rights lags far behind other modern societies we often compare to. is that 1 of the reason where bad habits come from? aiya, that shop sell me used item (those with lax return policy) still say new...

IMPO, clearing tables after consuming food & drinks will require local food establishments (except maybe upmarket restaurants) to incorporate receptacles to facilitate/promote customers to clear the table (not clean them lar). & in doing so, not penalising customers with another price increase. ;( if i am being made to pay for this & that, ayah, bo-chap lah...

I can think of a billion bad habits of Singaporeans but the top of the list is still none other than................the statement below.

"They just love to complain about anything under the big blue sky"

i would agree... worst habit is complain and complain and complain... worst still if they cannot win.... they will go sue or go to the media to voice out !

just live with it... y complain so much ?? nothing is perfect.... still a bit of grumbling is ok.....

To me, one stinky habit I hope we can stamp out is the "Cutting in front of someone to flag Taxi" habit.

While you've been waiting for some 10 minutes for a Taxi at the road side, some moronic manifestation of a cretin shows up just 30~40 feet in front of you, acting blur, and continue to flag for a taxi.

Once, I decided to give a piece of my mind by shouting out for a nice conversation. I called a few times, and lo and behold, yet another idiotic behavior manifests. The person looked at his watch, looked at his cellphone, looked at every single direction except my direction, and then ever so gingerly drifted away with the wind to another street.

I had once experience when I was at bus stop with my 1 year old baby.
There's a man (mid 30 I think) smoking and simply ignore people that were starring at him.
He didn't care that there was baby and some kids too.
I looked at his eyes but he didn't care and kept smoking.
End up I moved my family far from the bus stop until he found the bus.

What a !@#$% guy I've ever met.

Punctuality, esp. with wedding dinners.
I have to agree with that. Singaporeans seem to be constantly late. And they very rarely call before hand to say they won't be able to make the appointment. The number of times I have gotten a phone call 15 minutes after a meeting is meant to start saying: "I can't make it. Is it ok?" is almost too many to count.

The other thing is loudly coughing up phlegm in public. It's disgusting. I can handle people doing that in the bathroom. That's their preference, but you don't do that in public places where there are others around to hear you having your second lunch! Gross!

The other thing is loudly coughing up phlegm in public. It's disgusting. I can handle people doing that in the bathroom. That's their preference, but you don't do that in public places where there are others around to hear you having your second lunch! Gross!

You should see a lot and lots of people doing this in China and you will notice Singaporean are more polite.

When I had dinner with my friend in near our office Canteen in Beijing, there is one guy coughing up his phlegm on the empty plate and continue eating.
That's what I call utterly disgusting and I loose my appetite immediately.

Another bad experience is when I was on my way to Beijing Airport. The cabbie kept throwing up his phlegm. I was very unlucky since it was 20 minutes drive :sweat:

So weird, reading all the bad habits, im sure they are not just applied to singaporeans only.

I think Singaporean worst habit is they like to criticize about other singaporeans.

So weird, reading all the bad habits, im sure they are not just applied to singaporeans only.

I think Singaporean worst habit is they like to criticize about other singaporeans.
I would agree with you on some of these for sure, but I challenge you to find a western country where people are hoiking up phlegm all over the place...

To me, one stinky habit I hope we can stamp out is the "Cutting in front of someone to flag Taxi" habit.

While you've been waiting for some 10 minutes for a Taxi at the road side, some moronic manifestation of a cretin shows up just 30~40 feet in front of you, acting blur, and continue to flag for a taxi.

Once, I decided to give a piece of my mind by shouting out for a nice conversation. I called a few times, and lo and behold, yet another idiotic behavior manifests. The person looked at his watch, looked at his cellphone, looked at every single direction except my direction, and then ever so gingerly drifted away with the wind to another street.

in this case the ball is in the the cab driver's court. unless the driver did not see who was there 1st. :nono:

cos we r constantly held i high regards in foreign media, but imperfections right on our door-step?

in this respect, being civil or 'nice' is 1 where some will always prefer not to take the 1st step.

scared loose face? :dunno:

What about those punks who blast music inside the train and bus? Think as if everyone likes their "music"? Pure torture.

keke.. yes. it's so annoying when we suppose to have a peaceful trip to our home but hear disturbing music from another planet. :bsmilie:

can i have a Kopitiam with less :complain:?

wads the point of identifying all those annoying habits without stepping forward with solutions?

doh... :confused:

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.