World record at Paralympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hats off to the ladies who won medals at the Paralympic.

I wonder how much money will the Singapore Olympic council give the paralympics.

No foreign talents programme for the Paralympics. :eek:

yeah, not enough coverage for the paralympics!!!! Quite a lot of medals won and very impressive!

Paralympics: Swimmer Pin Xiu is Singapore's golden girl
By Tan Yo-Hinn, TODAY | Posted: 16 September 2008 0626 hrs

BEIJING: She was nursing a sore throat, but the only thing Yip Pin Xiu wanted to do just before she launched herself into the water at the National Aquatics Centre in Beijing on Monday was to empty her mind.

Coach Ang Peng Siong was familiar with his swimmer's routine and kept his instructions to a minimum.

The strategy paid off spectacularly as the 16-year-old became the first Singapore athlete to win gold at the Paralympic Games when she touched home first in the 50m backstroke (S3).

Pin Xiu, who suffers from muscular dystrophy, touched the wall first in 58.75 seconds, finishing a whopping 7.32 seconds faster than silver medallist Fran Williamson of Great Britain (1:06.07), with Xia Jiangbo of China coming in third (1:07.97).

The Singapore star was clearly primed for gold, after breaking her own world record in the morning heats with a time of 57.92 seconds, bettering her previous mark of 1:00.80 set at the US Paralympic Games in April.

Pin Xiu's stunning achievement ensured the strains of Majulah Singapura were heard for the first time at the Paralympics or Olympic Games.

In a phone interview on Monday night, the Secondary 4 student at Bendemeer Secondary School said: "I didn't think of anything during my race, because I swim better when my mind is a blank.

"Even Uncle Siong (coach Ang) knows this and didn't really give me too many instructions. He let me swim my race.

"I just went out there and swam."

Pin Xiu's feat comes a month to the day after the Singapore women's table tennis team bagged the country's first Olympic medal in 48 years, when they beat South Korea in the semi-finals in Beijing.

And on Monday - Sept 15 - Singapore won its first-ever Paralympic Games gold medal.

It is her second medal of the 13th Paralympic Games, following her silver in the 50m freestyle (S3) on Saturday.

The teenager was grateful for all the help from the Singapore Disability Sports Council and the Singapore National Paralympic Council (SNPC), and reserved special praise for coach Ang, team-mate Theresa Goh, and her parents, dad Yip Chee Khiong and mum Margaret Chong.

Pin Xiu and Goh had taken Sunday afternoon off to go to Beijing's Silk Street with coach Ang to get her mind off swimming.

"A lot of athletes tend to do better when they're relaxed, that was why we took them out to get their minds off swimming for a while," said Ang, 45, a two-time Olympian.

"The entire Team Singapore delegation, including the doctors, physiotherapists and sports psychologists, all did a good job in keeping the mood light-hearted.

"Pin Xiu tends to do better in a relaxed environment."

Pin Xiu's parents didn't talk to their daughter before the race for fear of piling the pressure on her.

"We saw her a few days ago and she said she wanted a gold medal," said Margaret, a senior officer at Singapore Airlines.

"But we didn't say anything more because we didn't want to put undue pressure on her. We're so happy that she has fulfilled her dream."

While the Games end on Wednesday, Singapore's six athletes have completed all their events and will return home on Thursday with one gold, one silver and two bronze medals, through equestrian dressage rider Laurentia Tan.

Under the SNPC's Athlete Achievement Awards scheme, Pin Xiu will receive $100,000 for her gold medal, while Tan, 29, will win $25,000. - TODAY

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sportsnews/view/376199/1/.html

Last edited:
read the news this morning, her gold medal + silver only rewarded for $150,000.... ;(

How can the reward be so much different for paralympic and normal ppl olympic??? It's still part of Summer Olympic Game and it's Singaporean winning 2 medals (GOLD & SILVER!!!!!) for the first time!!!!!

She is the the definitely the inspiration to all!

than they will give, "its about sporting spirit, not money" kind of answer.

read the news this morning, her gold medal + silver only rewarded for $150,000.... ;(

How can the reward be so much different for paralympic and normal ppl olympic??? It's still part of Summer Olympic Game and it's Singaporean winning 2 medals (GOLD & SILVER!!!!!) for the first time!!!!!

She is the the definitely the inspiration to all!

correction, only $100k and not $150k. only the highest award is given.

our local news paper din even give comparable coverage compared to the Silver by ping pong trio...

true blue S'porean worth less? :bheart:

Comming from the other thread where the nationality of atheletes are hotly debated, can I suggest we try to focus our discussion on Yip Pin Xiu achievements?

Yes, I am saluting Singapore team achievement 100 %!!! Because she is really the inspiration.

From the beginning of the bronze medals in horse riding (dunno the proper term) till the swimming achievement, there is just too little of coverage :(

And then, if you want to reward, reward in a fairly manner. They trained like others and competed like others with time, energy, sweat, fair and square! Why make it a difference? How to convince the public that the sports in really one of the nation agenda regardless of race, gender, ability and there is hope to make sports a professional in Singapore?

I guess it makes more commercial sense for any sponsors to support the Olympics more than Paralympics. Maybe based on the reaction of Singaporeans, the approach will be improved.

Hopefully, with the added attention, they can built upon the rewards and training programme in preparation for London 2012.

I was watching news last night, then came to the news about somebody answering why the kacang puteh amount is reasonable..... ;(

Don't you think it's so disgusting..... when countries are trying their best to promote sports in international arena, her garhmen is awarding Big money to normal ppl and kacang puteh (with contribution from private sectors) to paralympian GOLD + SILVER medals!

Oh dear..... I feel so sorry for her. The achivement for herself, country only recognized in substandard level. Our society always stress on the hardship endure by these brave ppl, yet look at the real encouragement that they can receive :thumbsd:??

Last edited:
She is a true hero. No money, never mind. At least, she has my
continuous true heart felt admiration for her determination.
As for the other O medalists, you already have your rewards
and I will leave it as is it.

I will probably forget those O medalists soon, but not her.

I was watching news last night, then came to the news about somebody answering why the kacang puteh amount is reasonable..... ;(

Don't you think it's so disgusting..... when countries are trying their best to promote sports in international arena, her garhmen is awarding Big money to normal ppl and kacang puteh (with contribution from private sectors) to paralympian GOLD + SILVER medals!

Oh dear..... I feel so sorry for her. The achivement for herself, country only recognized in substandard level. Our society always stress on the hardship endure by these brave ppl, yet look at the real encouragement that they can receive :thumbsd:??

how many people speak from their heart? especially when in are in the business? like the chinese saying in these kong fu show, "people in the glue, body not control by self".

Last edited:
Our Singapore Paralympians have so far brought home 2 bronze medals (Equestrian rider Laurentia Tan), 1 silver medal (50m freestyle final - Yip Pin Xiu), and most recently, Pin Xiu won a GOLD medal in the 50m backstroke finals! However for her gold medal, she will only receive S$100,000, 10% of what an Olympic gold medalist will receive. What more can be done to reward them?

Lets Help to bring recognition to our national pride by signing this online petition!
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rewardparalympians/

wow.. she has muscular dystrophy and yet able to perform this feat.. amazing!

(muscular dystrophy is a disabling genetic disorder, usually due mutations in the dystrophin gene, resulting in sarcomere collapse). usually patient will suffer prominent strength loss in the lower limbs

Status
Not open for further replies.