Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP
simon.clubsnap.org
... The press conference of the 48th World Press Photo contest will take place on Friday 11 February at the Amsterdam City Hall. ... The World Press Photo exhibition consists of the winning images of the annual contest. ...

http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/

CIS-1-AL_520x345x90.jpg

Contemporary Issues: 1st prize stories

Michael Wolf, Germany, Laif Photos & Reportagen for Stern Magazine.
China, factory for the world

SFS1-DL_520x345x50.jpg

Sports Features: 1st prize stories

Daniel Silva Yoshisato, Peru, Agence France-Presse.
Churubamba women's football team

GN-2_745x345x50.jpg

General News: 2nd prize singles

David Robert Swanson, USA, The Philadelphia Inquirer.
U.S. soldier in ambush, Iraq, 6 April

Hmm, I thought this image by the same photographer is more powerful, but the one which won the award is the more widely published one.

Extracted from the slideshow at International Herald Tribune (www.iht.com)
The rest of the slideshow available here:
http://www.iht.com/slideshows/2004/12/26/asia/1226quake.php

Regards
CK

***content amended...

I strongly urge the moderator not to place such photos on the front page in future. I find them very very disturbing.

I wish to thank the original poster for his kind understanding.

Regards

Jeff said:
These are pretty sickening pixs. No doubt good but may I ask what good is a person when he/she just stood by to capture that moment in time when someone else is weeping for the heavens? Why should one's fame be built upon another's agony?

I strongly urge the moderator not to place such photos on the front page in future. I find them very very disturbing.
This issue has been debated to death before. Let's not start it again. As a photojournalist, they are there to do their job. If a regular person just goes there and snap for their own sake or for competitions/awards, then it's a different thing. I don't believe these photojournalists shoot for the sake of awards or recognition. I hope this thread will not denegerate into a flame war and eventually force this thread to be closed.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
This issue has been debated to death before. Let's not start it again. As a photojournalist, they are there to do their job. If a regular person just goes there and snap for their own sake or for competitions/awards, then it's a different thing. I don't believe these photojournalists shoot for the sake of awards or recognition. I hope this thread will not denegerate into a flame war and eventually force this thread to be closed.

Regards
CK

I agree. Every picture/story has 2 sides to it if you chose to view it objectively.

A photojournalist braved his/her life to unfold the story/misery with pictures we saw on tv/paper/internet, without which the donation drive worldwide would not have been so successful.

jasphotography said:
A photojournalist braved his/her life to unfold the story/misery with pictures we saw on tv/paper/internet
{partial quote}

A photojournalist provided his/her interpretation of the story.. i.e. painted the story in their own "words" (photos). One of the opposing side would have said it differently :)

Well. Lets not go into that. It may and it will cause a big debate. Im sure many of us have seen these arguments occur right here at CS, and it wasnt a pretty sight. Lets just concentrate on the photos shall we?

Out the photos published, the American soldier being ambushed struck me hard. I guess thats whats the crux of a gd photo from a journalistic POV.

Rgds

Wryer said:
Well. Lets not go into that. It may and it will cause a big debate. Im sure many of us have seen these arguments occur right here at CS, and it wasnt a pretty sight. Lets just concentrate on the photos shall we?

Out the photos published, the American soldier being ambushed struck me hard. I guess thats whats the crux of a gd photo from a journalistic POV.

Rgds

Very interesting pictures and each with a very powerful message to be told especially the Factory and Bullet Ridden windscreen photo.

Factory shot is like personification of the rapid fast invasion of the China (cheap & hungry)force to take over the world economy.

I found the female football photo very amusingly funny. Heart warming even to see football in a difference perspective. Would love to have been there to capture the game with this interesting "dress-up"

The bullet ridden shot is the disturbing truth about this Iraq war.( any war for that matter) Whether for the right reason or not, people on both sides are dying. And the irony, more are dying after the invasion into Iraq then during the actual invasion. I hope shots like this will get public to come together and force their govts to rethink their (self) motives and solution to solving world problems.

Time to stop being the ostrich with your head in the sand each time something bad happens and only see life when it all rosy or through rose tinted glass. Face fact that life is not all good. But then it is not all that bad too. I think this 3 photographs shows 3 primary aspects that pre-occupies most of our waking hours these days. Signs of the Times.

Great shots.....

ckiang said:
Hmm, I thought this image by the same photographer is more powerful, but the one which won the award is the more widely published one.

wrong pix

Extracted from the slideshow at International Herald Tribune (www.iht.com)
The rest of the slideshow available here:
http://www.iht.com/slideshows/2004/12/26/asia/1226quake.php

Regards
CK

That's not the correct pix for the main prize.

It is this magnificent piece by Arko Datta of Reuters:

http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/index.php?option=com_photogallery&task=view&id=211&Itemid=39

This is a very tasteful shot full frame with good use of natural line, and tells a great story.

oeyvind said:
That's not the correct pix for the main prize.

It is this magnificent piece by Arko Datta of Reuters:

http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/index.php?option=com_photogallery&task=view&id=211&Itemid=39

This is a very tasteful shot full frame with good use of natural line, and tells a great story.
Yes I know, Simon originally posted the shot you posted. I just personally prefer the other shot by the same photog. :)

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.