World Expo - Tips and Tricks

Shen siung

May 21, 2008
Hi All,

Seems there is no special threads on this.
I just back from the expo. Not much homework done before going, but just heard a bit from friends that have visited. Would like to share some of my OWN experiences and info collected from friends.

Going or not?

1. If you do not like crowded place, don't go
2. If you do not like to q, don't go.
3. If you cannot stand the rudeness / less politeness of other people / visitors, don't go.
4. If you want to take photos slowly inside the (famous) pavilions, and you only have one day, be prepared you can only visit less than 7 or 6 pavilions.

How?

1. If you know Chinese, speak Chinese, buy ticket after you go into China. A lot places selling. Only RMB160 for whole day ticket.
2. If you are a student, go Shanghai then only buy ticket. Only RMB100 for whole day. Prepare your student card and better with a letter from your school.
3. Evening ticket. Maybe a good idea. RMB90, selling at the entrance for that particular day. Start sells at 4pm. suppose only allows to go in at 5 pm, but i manage to get in at 4.30 pm.

Tips

1. Don't carry too much. End up makes you too tired.
2.Best to go in 2 or 3, so some friends can help you to take your photo (if you want a self portrait).
3. Drinking waters (like those water dispenser in airport) a lot, no need buy water inside; not allowed to bring water in.
4. If you really want to visit China pavilion, you can either join some sort of tour group (not sure how) OR, go to the expo entrance start q at 4.30 am. The entrance starts to clear security at about 8.30am, and let people in at 9am. Once go in, quickly approach any staff that distribute the appointment tickets. Or, keep your expo ticket, visit next time when you return to Shanghai. This pavilion will be remain after Nov. and you can visit there after expo ends.
5. Plan your route, and be flexible. The site is big.
6. If you wants quantity, visit the pavilion that no need q for long 1st. After 6pm, people will be less. And after 8-9pm, some pavilion no need to q can go in.
7. Can try something like this: 1st day go in full day, 2nd day only go in evening, 3rd day rest, 4th \day go in full day again, etc. The idea to go for evening ticket is, can be quite tired to stay inside there whole long day.
8. I would suggest to go around end of Sept, but not 3 -4 days before 1 Oct. At that moment, weather should be nicer, and should be slightly less crowded.
9. If you really want to have greater flexibility to visit the expo site, best to plan about 5 nights stay in Shanghai. So you can choose not to enter the site if suddenly that day rains / poor weather. If you only have 3 - 4 days, you might have to go no matter what.

What time, which entrance:

1. To get in early so that you can go to the desired pavilion early is a logical way, but you need to be patient. Q starts at around 4.30 am outside each gate. Around 8.30am starts security clearance, at 9am you may enter.
2. To avoid q-ing outside, go to any entrance around 10am. By that time, long q will be cleared / almost cleared, and you will able to get in within 10 min or 15 min. However, once you reach a desired pavilion (say Japan), the q is already long enough for you to wait at least 5 hours.
3. Some entrance are simply less popular (the entrance to Zone E and D), maybe around 3 - 4 k people entered in the early morning, some entrance can be as much as 10k.
4. So the choice is yours: go early to q outside (the expo site), or go late to q (outside specific pavilion). If go in via less popular entrance, you may skip some hassle, but to walk to the popular zone (A, B, C) will be time consuming.

In my own opinion, to be able to see things fast (say max 30 min inside a pavilion) and see most of the interesting pavilion, best to have a 7 days ticket.

Official Expo site: http://www.expo2010.cn/

Will input more when free.

Found some good tips and share it here. Original from here: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?created&&suggest&note_id=466820636272.
I've pick out important and useful points (that IMO) only. /some of the point I do not agree, as I found it could be different from time to time (say 2 weeks ago vs 2 weeks later)
I didn't experience these, but if I read this before hand, I will go try it.

~Make sure you get the China Pavilion reservation by booking a one day tour from a travel agency. Here is one http://www.jjtonline.com/expo/index.html?request_locale=en (slow site, try few times)

~Saudi Arabia is the most sought after pavilion, there are two ways to avoid the 5h long line. Arrive at 830am at gate near the South Tibet Road station on Line 8 and get a city card in the urban best practices area near the Munich pavilion with the Saudi Arabia stamp (you will have to run from the gate because they only give 60 of those per day). The other way is to queue right before 7pm, lines are shorter in the evening and if the queue is still open at 7[pm means you will be in by 930, so it is half of the evening wait time.

~Germany – Arrive 9am and go to Bremen or Dusseldorf city pavilion to collect the Germany VIP card. Otherwise get to line before 8pm if it is open, the wait will be less than 2h.

~Taiwan: This is in my opinion the best pavilion of the expo although I didn’t see Japan and Korea. Best shot: Queue at Gate 5-2 before 6am (original article stated 9am, which is too late from what i know), and just run straight to Taiwan pavilion queue, it is worth it. They hand out the tickets for the day 9:30. There is a second chance at 6pm but those are fewer tickets and people will line early so the wait is longer.

Last edited:
Yup some of the smaller pavillions not bad also e.g Monaco, did around 40+ pavillions in 3 days mix of both large and small. Another tip, bring along your Passport, can get quick access into your country's pavillion. Can try faking into others by speaking english, e.g malaysia, Indonesia quite easy to pass of as local haha.

Thanks for the tips, Shen siung and tangjyd.
I shall be going to the Expo 1st week Sep.
Cheers.
SHLEW

I can't seem to find the operating hours of the World Expo on their official website. Does anyone knows what time the whole place closes everyday?

Article 2 Operation Time

The operation time of the Expo Site shall be 9:00 ~ 24:00. The opening hours of the pavilions shall be 9:30 ~ 22:30.

Visitors shall enter the Expo Site before 21:00 and leave before 24:00 on the day of admission. Those with evening admission tickets may enter the Expo Site between 17:00 and 21:00.

http://en.expo2010.cn/a/20100418/000004.htm

I can't seem to find the operating hours of the World Expo on their official website. Does anyone knows what time the whole place closes everyday?

Yup some of the smaller pavillions not bad also e.g Monaco, did around 40+ pavillions in 3 days mix of both large and small. Another tip, bring along your Passport, can get quick access into your country's pavillion. Can try faking into others by speaking english, e.g malaysia, Indonesia quite easy to pass of as local haha.

I tried but didn't wok leh. :dunno: Also didn't work for my Japanese and Korean colleagues in their country pavilions, but the European ones allow.

I tried but didn't wok leh. :dunno: Also didn't work for my Japanese and Korean colleagues in their country pavilions, but the European ones allow.

From what I know, depends on each country's pavilion, Singapore / Malaysia pavilion got this fast access for Singapore / Malaysia Passport holder (respectively, not both), but not sure for other pavilion. some also depends on the staff there. A lot pavilion the staff at gates are the Chinese PRC so also depends on them.

I've seen a few XMM begging the guy at the gate to help them to stamp on Expo Passport (so these XMM no need q to go in, as a lot of expo visitors just want to stamp their Expo passport but not interest at all to see the pavilion). Initially the guy refuse, but after a while, he just grab the Expo passports and go into the pavilion.....

Last edited:
:( too many people go to shanghai for Expo,You have to queue for a long time, this make me crazy, and now so hot :embrass:

:( too many people go to shanghai for Expo,You have to queue for a long time, this make me crazy, and now so hot :embrass:

If really interest to go and have a look, I would suggest to go in end of Sept, before 1 Oct. Say around 21 - 27 Sept. That moment, summer holiday already past, and hot summer should have been slightly cool down.

Just came back from Shanghai. Visited the expo. Paid 160RMB for full day visit.
Be prepared to queue for 2 hours or more for popular pavilion like Germany, Switzerland etc. You will need lots of patience when dealing the locals there, pushing and shoving, rudeness seems to be their way of life :angry:

Only managed to visit 4 pavilions. The queue was simply crazy

Thanks TS for starting this thread. Will be visiting 1st week of Sept as well.

Any recomendation for place to stay? I heard best to stay at HuangPu or People's Square but most hotel seems to be quite expensive now.

Also, whats the best gear to bring (camera wise lah)

How about sharing some of the photos taken?

oops....ignore my last request as posting of photos is not allow here...will search in the galleries section...

Thanks TS for starting this thread. Will be visiting 1st week of Sept as well.

Any recomendation for place to stay? I heard best to stay at HuangPu or People's Square but most hotel seems to be quite expensive now.

How about sharing some of the photos taken?

If you can read Chinese, you might want to go www.ctrip.com to search for accommodation. It won't be cheap, no choice. Find one that is closer to metro station (Specifically, Line 4, 7, 8) will do.

Not matter when you guys think of coming it will still be lot of people in here, cause the china government is giving out ticket to all of the people for free and they are giving it out every month. I'm a Singaporean but sad to said that Singapore Pavilion is not as good as what i think, i think you guys will have fun on Euro country Pavilion.

The Shanghai World Expo are on two side of Shanghai, PuDong ( all Country Pavilion ) & Pu Xi ( All China Coporate Pavilion ) so really need to plan it well. Most of the Pavilion ( no matter which side of the expo you go ) the Q is at least 2hrs.

There will be ferry to transport you from Pudong to Puxi so don't need to worry, i can't remember the timing for that, can just check it out when you reach there.

Enjoy the trip, i'm sure you guys will have fun watching them doing all kind of fun things. Fight for the Q, scold here and there & lost their kids. Snapshot will be more useful for this kind of place. i have past my 7 month in Shanghai.:confused:

Most of the Pavilion ( no matter which side of the expo you go ) the Q is at least 2hrs.

Not true, should be "Most of the INTERESTING Pavilion". But the word interesting has to be defined in the Chinese (PRC's) context. For example, try to think of what they will be interest to go (to see), so that pavilion will be having long Q.
1. Country pavilions definitely longer Q than, say the main theme pavilion, or, say, Red Cross pavilion.
2. Europe / 'Western' pavilion will generally have longer Q. But for Asia, Saudi Arabia, Japan are the famous. So, 4 hours to 6 hours Q.
3. Generally, after 6 or 7 pm, some pavilion the Q will be shorter. E.g. Australia pavilion, at day time can be about 1.5 hr to 2 hr, but before they close, around 9.30pm, no need Q can go in. But this is not the case for some other pavilion. E.g, Swiss pavilion, sometimes, they don't allow people to Q anymore after, say 8pm or 8.30pm.

There will be ferry to transport you from Pudong to Puxi so don't need to worry, i can't remember the timing for that, can just check it out when you reach there.

Yes. The staff / volunteer will distribute Chinese version expo guide (detailed enough to guide you to travel around in the expo site) once you pass the security check. The English version have to collect at certain location inside the expo site.

Going or not?

1. If you do not like crowded place, don't go
2. If you do not like to q, don't go.
3. If you cannot stand the rudeness / less politeness of other people / visitors, don't go.
4. If you want to take photos slowly inside the (famous) pavilions, and you only have one day, be prepared you can only visit less than 7 or 6 pavilions.

This is probably the best advice: don't go. Unless you enjoy queuing for hours. I should have read this before I went.

You should wait until the visitor numbers is drastically reduced before you go. Otherwise just queue and queue for hours. :(

I saw some locals getting their children to pose as handicapped and sitting in wheelchairs to bypass the queues. You can try something similar. :think:

Better still go buy an Expo DVD to watch.

Last edited:
I went there for 3 days couple weeks ago. I planned to get in some famous pavilions(of well-known countrys). But as everyone said , it's very long queue.:( I got new idea ;) , changing to the pavilion of countrys I've less chance to visit or being less interested to the world , i.e. central/south America , small states in Africa or south Pacific islands. I found that I did the right decision. I've seen many things that's rarely in traveling TV programme/magazine. Of course , it's shorter queue and non at some pavilion. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

"Thing which is hardly to get , is always worthwhile" :)

Last edited:
I went there for 3 days couple weeks ago. I planned to get in some famous pavilions(of well-known countrys). But as everyone said , it's very long queue.:( I got new idea ;) , changing to the pavilion of countrys I've less chance to visit or being less interested to the world , i.e. central/south America , small states in Africa or south Pacific islands. I found that I did the right decision. I've seen many things that's rarely in traveling TV programme/magazine. Of course , it's shorter queue and non at some pavilion. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

"Thing which is hardly to get , is always worthwhile" :)

This could be an alternatives.

One of my friend, work in Shanghai (so he got plenty of time and he got a 7 days ticket) advice me that, for tourist, MIGHT be a good idea to go for volume / quantity instead of quality.

So, go for the pavilions with less q.

but it all depends. Sometimes, some pavilion that is not good, is really nothing inside.

so again, be mentally prepared (so won't easily get disappointed)

You are welcome.

For camera, if you really can be 'don't care' of Image Quality, might be good idea get a prosumer type (say LX3, S90, etc...) and just go there light.

I got about 1.5 kg load (camera + one lens) + 1 kg bag (bag itself is 0.8kg) + 1 kg tripod...... I went alone :confused: