World Expo - Tips and Tricks

Did you post your pics in CS?

Did you post your pics in CS?

no I didn't... I realized most photos are not 'presentable', so guess I'll just keep it as part of my memory :)

A 1.5 kg camera could be very light to most people, but a whole day long waiting / q-ing, rushing, it is quite tired. Once go into the pavilions, mostly don't have time to compose and shoot, could be just view it and go. And sometimes, the mentality of "quickly finish this pavilion and move on to next' might just kicks in.

As a results, not much really nice photos.

Regarding the China pavilion has just input in the 1st post.

Regarding Taiwan pavilion, there is a way actually but again need q very early.
Q at the entrance just beside the exit of Metro Yaohua road (an interchange station of Line 7 and 8). This entrance is closest to China pavilion and Taiwan pavilion.

But, also the famous entrance. Need to start Q at around 5 am the latest.

So, you will be the 1st few hundreds people to get into the expo site, that guarantee you a chance to get the free appointment ticket to enter the China pavilion. These free tickets will be distribute by the staff after you enter the expo site, fist come first serve.

Once you get the China appointment ticket, quickly ran asap to the Taiwan pavilion. You might stand a chance to be the 1st 3000 (or 2000, forgot...) people in the Q, and you will able to get an appointment ticket around 10am. (they start distribute around 9.30 am).

I got about 1.5 kg load (camera + one lens) + 1 kg bag (bag itself is 0.8kg) + 1 kg tripod...... I went alone :confused:

Hi, thanks for your tips. I'm going to the Expo 2nd week Sept. How useful was your tripod
and were you allowed to use it inside the pavillions? Also, if you don't mind me deviating
from this thread where's a good place in Singapore to get a Giotto tripod or similar. Thanks.

Hi, thanks for your tips. I'm going to the Expo 2nd week Sept. How useful was your tripod
and were you allowed to use it inside the pavillions? Also, if you don't mind me deviating
from this thread where's a good place in Singapore to get a Giotto tripod or similar. Thanks.

Yes I can use tripod inside the pavilions. But I didn't use... Too troublesome to carry a tripod with camera on it OR tripod fully extended, while a lot of people are beside you.

In pavilion, I mainly use ISO800 / 1600 for some dim pavilion. No time for tripod also....

I mainly use tripod outside pavilions, especially for night shoot.

For tripod, might want to try TK foto at funan. But not sure they carry Giotto or not.

I managed to enter China Pavilion even though I reached the station at 8.50am :) There's actually a trick to it. But I did not get into taiwan as we did not know the reservation timing.

The queue for Saudi Arabia is crazy, 6 hours :O

I managed to enter China Pavilion even though I reached the station at 8.50am :) There's actually a trick to it.

would be great to share with fellow CSer?:D

Did anyone tried on the Puxi site? The GM pavilion showing the future car of china and 石油馆 having a 4D movie theatre in it.

I have took some photos on the GM pavilion future cars but i do not know how to upload it onto the thread as i'm still pretty new. It will be great if someone could actually guide me through..

Thanks alot!!;)

Last edited:

YES YOU CAN USE YOUR TRIPOD INSIDE, BUT I WONDER IF YOU CAN USE IT IF IT WILL BE CROWDED...;p

for those who want to enter china pavilion with ease:

reservation tickets for china pavilion will be given out at 9am sharp at all expo entrances, as they are limited, they will only last until 9.10am give or take 2 mins.

there are 2 queues at the expo entrance:
i) if you carrying bags, you will join a super long long queue which is impossible to grab hold of the tickets unless you queue at 6am.

ii) on the right, there is a express queue for those w/o bags, meaning travel light with just your camera over your neck. you should be safe if you reach the entrance queue at 8.30am (I tried with 8.50am)

Day 1: I went to explore most of the no queue pavilions, Day 2: I went specially to try out for China pavilion.

Immediately after the security scanner, the volunteers will be at the entrance fighting a war giving out tickets. Do not hesitate and just grab it from them. You do not need to care about the designated timing to enter China pavilion on the tickets as they just don't care. So long if you got a ticket, you are able to enter the pavilion anytime.

With that to say, Taiwan Pavilion's reservation ticket give out timing is at 9.30am. If you want to view both, immediately after you get your china tickets, rush to Taiwan pavilion to queue for the tickets.

I find tripod not a must to bring to expo.

Reason 1: Most of the time you will be queueing

Reason 2: The chinese has super thick skin that they just walk in front of your cameras although they know you are taking a shot.

Reason 3: By the time it reaches night time, I think you will be shag out by the current heat.

My 1st day of expo, temperature hit 40 degree celcius. Average is about 37-38.

For those competitive sprinters, if you are daring enough, you can speed up to saudi arabia pavilion if you are the lucky ones who enter at 9am group. If not, be prepared to see waiting time to be around 3hours, and subsequently 6 and 9 hours :) HAHA.

Super long waiting pavilions: Saudi Arabia 6 hours, Japan 3 hours (nothing much inside i heard), Germany 3 hours.

Another tip gathered: Place your most wanted to go pavilion at night before closing hours, the queue will be slightly faster.

:)

fOody, Shen siung and all you guys THANKS so much for your tips and experience regarding the tripod, queues and obtaining tickets, etc. I have 3 days for the Expo and then will head for Yangshuo, Guangxi. where I spend several weeks each year. My wife comes from there. Anyone who needs info regarding the rice terraces I can help. You can write directly to me, just in case I may not access this forum while on the move. Also, I live in Christchurch and will be glad to help with info on South Island. Email tanmoses@hotmail.com

Just back from the expo. Didn't bother queue for the China, Japan, Korean, Saudi pavilion etc.
Just went for those with shorter queue, amongst which I find more interesting, the Denmark (to view the original Mermaid statue...there is a short 'romantic' clip on the first LCD panel showing how they transport their national heritage), French (got a few of their masterpieces), Turkey (some historical artifacts and a 360 degree cinema).

There is a free ferry service which transport visitors between the two expos ground. Is worth taking it in the evening to enjoy the nite view of the Lupu bridge and nite visual display of the pavilions. Whilst over at Puxi (Area D and E), don't forget to visit the Future City pavilion (no queue at all in the evening), which I found the most interesting and more consistent with the Expo theme...Better City, Better Life.

I agree with monokoro. The Future City pavilion was one of the better ones. The rest...a bit blah. The Denmark and Turkey pavilions are good as well. I would recommend the evening pass as well. I saw more pavilions in the evenings than I did in the day.

To be honest, why would anyone travel all the way to Shanghai for the Expo just to queue 6 - 8 hours to go into the Japan, Germany, Saudi or China pavilion? There's a reason why the queues are immense for these pavilions and that's because the majority of attendees (the Chinese) have great difficulty going to those countries because of visa/cost reasons. For those of us that already have the chance to go to the Expo in Shanghai, I am sure we will at some point in our lives, go to either Japan or Germany for vacation or whatnot. So why waste your time (airplane + queue + frustration) for a distilled version of the place?

As for the Saudi pavilion, I felt the time needed to go in was a joke. I went to Saudi Arabia (Jeddah, Riyadh) 2 years ago for a 3 days business trip and I couldn't wait to get out from the country. There's no way I am going to queue 8 hours just to go into their pavilion.

The China pavilion will still be around after the Expo...and the reason it is so crowded is because it is the CHINA pavilion...you have the gazillion Chinese with their free passes trying to get in to see their own pavilion.

Can you imagine queueing for 4 hours for the UK pavilion only to walk through the whole place in 10 mins and wonder why you wasted your life queueing? Some of the pavilions are better looking on the outside than the inside.

My suggestion is to go there and just enjoy the place, see the people (both the good and the bad), see a few pavilions if you can, but don't get so caught up in seeing the popular ones. The Expo by itself is already an amazing creation in that the Chinese built the whole area in such a short length of time just for this 6 months period. That's a more impressive feat than any of the pavilions.

As for the Saudi pavilion, I felt the time needed to go in was a joke. I went to Saudi Arabia (Jeddah, Riyadh) 2 years ago for a 3 days business trip and I couldn't wait to get out from the country. There's no way I am going to queue 8 hours just to go into their pavilion.

Ha ha.

The China pavilion will still be around after the Expo...and the reason it is so crowded is because it is the CHINA pavilion...you have the gazillion Chinese with their free passes trying to get in to see their own pavilion.

Yes, China pavilion will be remain after the expo. I heard with the ticket, anyone can still go in after this.

Can you imagine queueing for 4 hours for the UK pavilion only to walk through the whole place in 10 mins and wonder why you wasted your life queueing? Some of the pavilions are better looking on the outside than the inside.

Yes, a lot of pavilion actually got nothing much (state of the art) to show. Just like for you to 'walk through'...

My suggestion is to go there and just enjoy the place, see the people (both the good and the bad), see a few pavilions if you can, but don't get so caught up in seeing the popular ones. The Expo by itself is already an amazing creation in that the Chinese built the whole area in such a short length of time just for this 6 months period. That's a more impressive feat than any of the pavilions.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. Some friends work in China actually suggest, for us visitors, try to enjoy ourselves and not to over obsess on those pavilions. Go in whichever can go in.

And from now onwards, almost everyday pack with 600k people and above... crazy. Guess it is not a good timing anymore...