World Cup subscription protest

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
wah this is good man. A first for Singapore and over football coverage of the world cup. Singaporeans should let their voices be heard more...

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4131210

23E17D44C1DAF57A9F41FEA064D2B6.jpg

Luckily I don't watch football.... :thumbsup: and if I do, most likely would have boycott too... :thumbsd:

I don't see the point of the protest...

No world cup telecast, everyone complain
Got world cup, too expensive, everyone complain.
If pay-tv show world cup for free, profits drop, shareholders complain.

Which I already suspect that singtel-starhub already losing money from the world cup in the first place.

looks like a lose-lose situation.

Heng i'm neither a soccer fan, nor own any starhub / singtel shares =P

Exactly. It's not Starhub/Singtel's fault.

i have seen many protests here in 2+ years, coming to 3.

none of them achieved any positive purpose. :thumbsup:

well, i guess maybe it did, some guys got to know some girls, and then they got laid because of "common passion"....

i have seen many protests here in 2+ years, coming to 3.

none of them achieved any positive purpose. :thumbsup:

well, i guess maybe it did, some guys got to know some girls, and then they got laid because of "common passion"....

Singapore or UK?

Singapore or UK?

uk :bsmilie:

i even remember students trying to take over lecture theatres in the various universities across london , with pretty ridiculous demands sometimes. i think it was the gaza war but i'm not sure. some of their petition requests included lines like "let palestinians study for free because they are oppressed".

naturally they got nothing they wanted, the only result was disruption of school activities, and the schools generally ignored them.

Last edited:
uk :bsmilie:

i even remember students trying to take over lecture theatres in the various universities across london, with pretty ridiculous demands sometimes.

naturally they got nothing done.

You do get off for the days when there is a protest pr strike, right? :)

For protest like this, the main point is to hurt the 2 telco and eventually Fifa.

Protest do help in a way or another by raising awareness.. I am definately not subscribing.:nono:

You do get off for the days when there is a protest pr strike, right? :)

For protest like this, the main point is to hurt the 2 telco and eventually Fifa.

Protest do help in a way or another by raising awareness.. I am definately not subscribing.:nono:

sadly, no.

they didn't take over enough theatres. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

i really don't think fifa will care about a small protest in singapore. at best the cable tv companies will get some form of "customer feedback", which leads me to my point - there are much more constructive ways to put your point across than a protest. even starting threads in singaporean forums might end up reaching more people! :thumbsup:

sadly, no.

they didn't take over enough theatres. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

i really don't think fifa will care about a small protest in singapore. at best the cable tv companies will get some form of "customer feedback", which leads me to my point - there are much more constructive ways to put your point across than a protest. even starting threads in singaporean forums might end up reaching more people! :thumbsup:

Haa. you encourage them to take over the lecture theatre that you are suppose to have lecture..

This protest reached the local paper. According to the papers, there is a FB group with 27k "members". I think this will tell people that they have a choice not to subscribe.

Other than not subcribing and protest, I am not sure what we as football lover can do.

Write to blatter? Fifa might not care but we can certainly make some noise and make them aware that we are unhappy about this arrangement.

The two telcos are offering subscribers early-bird World Cup football package priced at S$66 on or before 31 May, after which it will cost S$88.

After protesting about $90 for 64 televised live matches.

The same people go to PUBs and KTVs to watch football.
Drink lots of liquor and beer.
Bet big on each match.
Spend thousands of $.

Everyone go pub and kopitiam for football, next World Cup, telcos charge them higher to make up :D

I have no comments on protesting for $90 subscriptions. However, it is notable that people are standing out and let action speaks. I hope that future protests will be for more notable causes.

wont work lah. So many people already signed up for the package.

I think the main idea why they're protesting is that our neighbours pay comparably pittance to how much we have to fork out. Fifa knew starhub and singtel would be more than willing to match their asking price for broadcast rights coz apparently, news travels that our two stupid telcos could leave singaporeans with no choice but to pay for subscription tv from the stupid EPL fiasco. So that's the reputation Singtel n Starhub have. And now they themselves lost.

Fyi, Msia channel RTM1 shows matches for free since last time. Coz Fifa knew there was nothing to squeeze out of. :p

was watching RTM1 (TV1) the other day, and during an ad break, the channel was displaying the schedule of the matches to be shown either on TV1 or TV2. I cant believe that these 2 free to air channels are going to show all the games!!! Initially, i had thought that Astro had secured the rights to telecast the matches.

so, there might be hope for those who have not subscribed to Starhub or Mio, and are contemplating watching the games at CCs, kopitiams and pubs.

the only potential problem i foresee is that the matches might be "censored" by RTM or Starhub/Mio. (for those in Singapore)

i guess we'll only know when the time comes

Its ridiculous. If you love football so much to make a protest, I can't see why you can't pay $90 to watch it over 5 weeks. Its not going to change anything.