World Cup: Pennywise, Pound-foolish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunbucker

Sep 14, 2005
East Coast
sanzaw.smugmug.com
Having worked in a telco before, I'm only too familiar with the fine art of passing the buck around. And now, both telcos have raised their arms up and have passed the buck to us.

I'm not going to debate on how better the negotiation/strategizing process could/should have been, but I wonder what else Singapore will lose from seemingly saving some $$$ (which we have already lost much more during the junk bonds episode, acted blur, and moved on), some face, and no doubt some jobs within the telcos.

One aspect that comes to mind immediately is our tourism/retail segment. Surely such a boo-boo of not having World Cup telecasts is going to affect the decisions of potential visitors. The money they would have spent on hotels, food, drinks, shopping, etc. Probably peanuts, I hear the critics say? Hmm, not too sure on that, especially the long term perception.

The tech savvy fans will no doubt find a nice proxy server or streaming site somewhere, while the rest of us read the results the next day in the papers. Which year are we in btw?

Lastly, I ponder on this trend. USD $100 million may not be a small amount for us, but it's certainly pocket change for multi-billion dollar sports entertainment market. What makes the telcos here think that the $100 million dollar price tag will "magically" go down 4 years later? Are they infants?

Discuss! ;)

I am not going to pay anything more than $30 for the telecast.....imagine if they ask for $100m now, 4 years later it could be $500m....where is the end? :dunno: I actually cut off my starhub....screw the EPL while we suffered recessions and pay cut....all these greedy football club and football player getting double paycheck year by year without fail ;(

We consumer must stand together and not succumb to the ransom, it's not the end of the world without worldcup, there are many other interesting things in life are yet to discover man...maybe go for photoshooting trip cheap cheap since it will be off peak for most interest place :lovegrin:

I fully agree with the title, esp Sinpools should just sponser it and make it free to air. The profit they can generate subsequently is unimaginable.

I say we boycott all football games. If you need to get your fix, watch S-League. Otherwise forget about this money wasting sport. It has lost its purpose. All these football content owners are a bunch of touts.

Last edited:
I am not going to pay anything more than $30 for the telecast.....imagine if they ask for $100m now, 4 years later it could be $500m....where is the end? :dunno: I actually cut off my starhub....screw the EPL while we suffered recessions and pay cut....all these greedy football club and football player getting double paycheck year by year without fail ;(

We consumer must stand together and not succumb to the ransom, it's not the end of the world without worldcup, there are many other interesting things in life are yet to discover man...maybe go for photoshooting trip cheap cheap since it will be off peak for most interest place :lovegrin:
Well said bro. All these overpaid football players and clubs are just trying to leach off the fans.

Well, Singapore is clamouring for the Youth Olympic Game 2010, a world class event in their book.

First SH and Singtel no friend because of EPL, now combine to get World Cup 2010.

I was always very angered by the fact that because of EPL, the sports channel at starhub was priced at such high prices. I could never understand why soccer became the way it is now. I guess probably because of all the gambling that is going around in the world...

Now finally, EPL is going out of the window for starhub, i can finally enjoy other sports..

This world cup episode is getting ridiculous ......

Well Singtel is the one who dig this hole by paying something like $300 mil for 3 years of EPL. If you're FIFA, knowing that Singtel have the moola, don't you think you'll want a piece of the pie as well? From the way I look at it, it's a matter of moola and face for FIFA.

I don't think we'll die not watching the World Cup. That money can be use better, pumped in S-league, seriously that is what I think. If I won't stand for local touts, why would I bend-over for FIFA? Want to play hard-ball? I say game-on.

Well said :thumbsup:
We don't need to pay those footballers more to hold more babes on left and right arm!
Don't give in to extortion. The whole episode goes against the grain of a 'world' cup.
There are certainly a lot more things worth doing (proper sleep at night instead of watch being one :D)

Well said :thumbsup:
We don't need to pay those footballers more to hold more babes on left and right arm!
Don't give in to extortion. The whole episode goes against the grain of a 'world' cup.
There are certainly a lot more things worth doing (proper sleep at night instead of watch being one :D)

easy to say, but pretty much the same was said when singtel got epl.
i wonder how many ppl have signed up for their sports packages since..

machiam like go opposition rally hurrah hurrah, then vote for men in white.

Status
Not open for further replies.