Workshop for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

photo2k

Mar 29, 2004
Need advice,
Can someone recommend me a good workshop for beginner ?
I want to learn what kind of setting (shutter speed, exposure, compensation etc) to use at different occassions for good pictures.
Thanks

photo2k said:
Need advice,
Can someone recommend me a good workshop for beginner ?
I want to learn what kind of setting (shutter speed, exposure, compensation etc) to use at different occassions for good pictures.
Thanks

good idea...i would love to attend something liek that..

i just got a good book... its national geographic's field guide to taking great photos... there are all the explanations and stuff in there to help u and it really works!! u can get it at around $50 ish from kinokuniya... anybody else agree?

nickmak said:
i just got a good book... its national geographic's field guide to taking great photos... there are all the explanations and stuff in there to help u and it really works!! u can get it at around $50 ish from kinokuniya... anybody else agree?

Great. I think I will go look for that book...

tom_lim said:
goto the national library and borrow. have been doing that for years and still its only a trickle of wat they have .......... a newbie's advice ......tOm

totally agree. I've been taking photos on and off for years. Still remember when I started out, I just borrowed book after book from the library. Didn't really attend any workshops. Reading can help you gain insight of the fundamentals, also you have the flexibility of doing it whenever you're free. Some of the great photos published in the books also serve as an inspiration.

But ultimately still have to go out and apply and try out what you read. And I must also say that perhaps one other good way is to interact with others and share the knowledge.

Hmm hello hello...

New guy around here. :D a bit like walking into the old western saloon and everyone looks at you funny.. =)

Haha.. but I agree that it would be nice to attend a workshop kind of thing.=) am now currently fully dependent on the Auto everything function on my SLR.. So would be good to be able to take control!

Anyhows, my take on the books thing is that its ok in the sense that it does help a bit about the technical stuff, but without someone who's more experienced, seems like im just taking pic after pic and they all look the same to me... :confused:

Help anyone?

drummercow said:
Hmm hello hello...

New guy around here. :D a bit like walking into the old western saloon and everyone looks at you funny.. =)

Haha.. but I agree that it would be nice to attend a workshop kind of thing.=) am now currently fully dependent on the Auto everything function on my SLR.. So would be good to be able to take control!

Anyhows, my take on the books thing is that its ok in the sense that it does help a bit about the technical stuff, but without someone who's more experienced, seems like im just taking pic after pic and they all look the same to me... :confused:

Help anyone?

hehe, howdy stranger!
You want pictures that look different? Try experimenting with different viewpoints and playing around with shutter speed and aperture. For a given subject, walk around it for a few times. Try visualising it from different angles, low shots, high shots, shots from the side, shots from the top, using different lighting etc. Try to articulate to yourself why you want to take ap picture of the subject and be as specific as possible., e.g I am taking a picture of the rabbit because it looks cute with the fluffy ears. If so, you might want to concentrate on the fluffy ears and use a shallow DOF to get a nice abstract.

Are you using a digicam? If so, experimenting would be much cheaper.

justarius said:
hehe, howdy stranger!
You want pictures that look different? Try experimenting with different viewpoints and playing around with shutter speed and aperture. For a given subject, walk around it for a few times. Try visualising it from different angles, low shots, high shots, shots from the side, shots from the top, using different lighting etc. Try to articulate to yourself why you want to take ap picture of the subject and be as specific as possible., e.g I am taking a picture of the rabbit because it looks cute with the fluffy ears. If so, you might want to concentrate on the fluffy ears and use a shallow DOF to get a nice abstract.

Are you using a digicam? If so, experimenting would be much cheaper.

Hi Justarius...

Am currently in possesion of a Canon A70 and a 2nd hand minolta SLR. Am shooting on both and I definitely agree that shooting with digital is cheaper... but quite ma fan... cos of the shutter lag and the toggle zoom as opposed to the instant shutter release and the ring on the lens on the SLR..=)

Which brings me to the point which i understand is being hotly debated upon in another forum- whether i should try the DSLR...=) Ahh... the can opener set firmly on the can of worms.=)

But thanks for the tip on moving around the subject and thinking about what statement u wanna make..=) currently my compositional skills are... hmm maybe about 6/10? hit and miss one..=)

drummercow said:
Hi Justarius...

Am currently in possesion of a Canon A70 and a 2nd hand minolta SLR. Am shooting on both and I definitely agree that shooting with digital is cheaper... but quite ma fan... cos of the shutter lag and the toggle zoom as opposed to the instant shutter release and the ring on the lens on the SLR..=)

Which brings me to the point which i understand is being hotly debated upon in another forum- whether i should try the DSLR...=) Ahh... the can opener set firmly on the can of worms.=)

But thanks for the tip on moving around the subject and thinking about what statement u wanna make..=) currently my compositional skills are... hmm maybe about 6/10? hit and miss one..=)

Easy! post them here for critiques and comments, ask for advice.

If not, just go ahead and buy the equipment you think can help you improve, if you can afford it, just buy it. Till a point that you think, hey its not just the equipment.

However I encourage you to spend it on film and development now. You've got a A70 to test the exposure. Remember to take note what setting gives you what result.

Status
Not open for further replies.