Working Life In Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

Feb 20, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Guys..One question that I would like to ask everyone all working adults..students working part time and/or a anyone working odd jobs, what do you think of working life in singapore !!!

Few key points that I can think offs ... higher qualifications...long hours...pay scale and benefits...etc....

All comments are welcome....!!!

as long as our govt needs to provide a pro-investment climate to create jobs here, the needs of employees will be secondary. the first need is perpetual.

reachme2003 said:
as long as the govt needs to provide a pro-investment climate to create jobs here, the needs of employees will be secondary. the first need is perpetual.

Well....I definitely do agree with this point. But the question is ..how will foreign talents affects the job creation climate in singapore ?

working life.........here singapore.........

now someone order something, must get it ASAP!
now someone needs something to be deliver, must be there ASAP!
now someone needs some work to be done, must finishes it ASAP!
now somesone sends you for training, you must know everything ASAP!
now someone ask you to shoot wedding photos, you must have the album
ready ASAP!

so beside rushing......you still need to rush......if not, someone will take over your work/job...... :blah: :blah: :blah:...i'm getting sick of all this :thumbsd:

a pro-investment climate necessarily entails a pro-foreign 'talent' policy. eg. if a investor pumps $ into spore, logically, his needs will include permitting him to bring in whoever he wants.

jesser said:
working life.........here singapore.........

now someone order something, must get it ASAP!
now someone needs something to be deliver, must be there ASAP!
now someone needs some work to be done, must finishes it ASAP!
now somesone sends you for training, you must know everything ASAP!
now someone ask you to shoot wedding photos, you must have the album
ready ASAP!

so beside rushing......you still need to rush......if not, someone will take over your work/job...... :blah: :blah: :blah:...i'm getting sick of all this :thumbsd:

Well..u see i have this same problem..others want everything ASAP...!!! after I give them..they delay another couple of days..!!! U See ..Thats really sick !!!

reachme2003 said:
a pro-investment climate necessarily entails a pro-foreign 'talent' policy. eg. if a investor pumps $ into spore, logically, his needs will include permitting him to bring in whoever he wants.

ok..2 pts here ..

1) Pro-Investors !!! These are investors whom set up investment in singapore to help to creates jobs and boast our economy !!

2) Pro-Foreign Talents !!! These are ppl whom have either the "PAPERS" and Specials skills whom come to singapore to work !!!

The question is ..whats the percentage of each !!! ? we have in Singapore ?

Whats the impact of each...on our economy ..job creation... social life ... !!!

good ... if you happen to be a white foreign talent....a precious commodity to the White Clothed

John said:
Guys..One question that I would like to ask everyone all working adults..students working part time and/or a anyone working odd jobs, what do you think of working life in singapore !!!

Few key points that I can think offs ... higher qualifications...long hours...pay scale and benefits...etc....

All comments are welcome....!!!

read it from some survey that we are one of the top few countries with IT professionals who keeps on getting certification..
so if you are a network person..you get your ccna..then your ccnp..then your ccie...etc etc etc..it's a vicious cycle..never ending
so much for a paper chasing society

tbk said:
good ... if you happen to be a white foreign talent....a precious commodity to the White Clothed

I am not....I am made In Singapore

John said:
ok..2 pts here ..

1) Pro-Investors !!! These are investors whom set up investment in singapore to help to creates jobs and boast our economy !!

2) Pro-Foreign Talents !!! These are ppl whom have either the "PAPERS" and Specials skills whom come to singapore to work !!!

The question is ..whats the percentage of each !!! ? we have in Singapore ?

Whats the impact of each...on our economy ..job creation... social life ... !!!

it looked like you are doing a research paper on this. MOM and/or some university professors may provide you with some labour figures you need.

reachme2003 said:
it looked like you are doing a research paper on this. MOM and/or some university professors may provide you with some labour figures you need.

No..I am not...I am just another frustrated singaporeans.

John said:
Well..u see i have this same problem..others want everything ASAP...!!! after I give them..they delay another couple of days..!!! U See ..Thats really sick !!!

I've got used to this since army days. "rush to wait" and "wait to rush". ;)

A few things to expect:

1) You're not an asset, you're a tool
2) Tools can be replaced, ANYTIME, even the next day is UAT or sign off.
3) OT is not expected, it's a MUST.
4) Lower pay gets you the job.
5) Whatever qualification you hold, you're tasked to do 1 level lower work (degree do diploma, masters do degree, phd do master, ocassionally phd do diploma work - a case in my current co)
6) You must work hard and not smart
7) Never ever try to improve the army (oops I mean the project)
8) There are people who always spoil market (OT OT and OT)
9) There are always layers of fat in the middle of the management
10) You don't need a brain to be a boss.

Hope it helps. :)

John said:

thats power play for you. as a client they want everything asap, yet take their own sweet time to collect.

are you really working on strictly 5 weekdays week? or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.