working in the US... advice required..

Status
Not open for further replies.

currahee

Jun 6, 2002
Bishan
Visit site
hi, i will be likely to travel to states and work there for a couple of months..
thus would be wondering if i shld get a dslr here in SG or go to states to get one.. reason being shld anyting be wrong be the dslr, i cannot claim warranty there... of cos once i'm back in SG, the us warranty also does not apply..

so quite in a fix.. can someone advise? thanks...
does the dslr gives problem initially or does those problems come towards the end of warranty.. appreciate your comments

this is my personal take.. so please salt to taste.

if the body is cheaper in the US and you'll be there for a couple of months, get it there. primary reason: unlike in SG, most stores have a no-nonsense return/exchange policy, so you're not forced to go back to the service center for repairs if you get a bad copy - you could probably get it swapped for a new one.

when you come back, the difference in price might just make up for all of the servicing you would ever do within the first year of ownership.

nearer the end of the warranty, stuff that breaks tends to be due to wear and tear, which technically your warranty shouldn't cover anyway.

i would go USA stuff, since the prices are cheaper, currency is much lower now, and there is a sales wif very good discounts as well.

i bought two dslrs over in the states and they worked flawlessly even till now although i've sold them and have not had any feedback on any problems for the past few months.

choose a reliable brand and model you should be fine.

if you want warranty, get olympus cuz theyhave international warranty and the prices in US is really very low.

Prices in the states would be much much cheaper - especially post Christmas and New Year sales. ;)

Nikon also has international warranty I believe. And as someone has mentioned, they usually replace the entire body should there be any fault with it in the states.

Have fun over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.