Wonder if events in public area are legally out of bounds to DSLR photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The policeman is not trained in law and more often than not, merely repeats the "safe" answer.

I mean, when you have policemen telling you that bashing someone is a "civil offence", that already speaks volumes about their knowledge in law.

My answer is a little different from his, so do not misunderstand the two. He is saying you need to ask before you can do. I am saying that if the place is open to the public, and you are not informed beforehand on the terms of entry, then you have the right to shoot until you are told you cannot (ie they just told you the terms of entry).
Hi vince,

Thanks for the clarification. ;)

perhaps you should avoid making this assumption that a search was not being made in the first place. a different keyword in the search engine may have make a difference.

event holder may set up a perimeter within which the event was conducted. i'm first of all, not sure if this open ground usually next to a building are actually public grounds or belong to the management of the owner of that building, say for example the forum in front of taka belongs to taka? i assume if the organiser needs to seek permission and arrangement with the private authorities would mean that these open grounds are actually not really public grounds, but may be private properties, although the organiser is not necessarily owner of that private property, but rather a temporary renter.

secondly, supposedly one is not within the perimeter but is just outside of it. he probably have a definite right to shoot, but does the security guard has an equal right of standing within the perimeter and physically blocking the line of sight?

i gather from your reply your answer is a no to the question. but i hope you understand the exact reason why such question is asked is becos the situations varies from one situation to another, and such topics are frequently asked in different context, and people are trying to find a balance between protecting their rights but not wanting to behave obnoxious to the public mind (some non photographers sees us as being proud, pushy and too adamant on our rights, and being insensitive and intrusive). many may not stand up for it becos it is not firmly clarified on how best to get around things, and that is why these threads continue to be around.

anyway, thanks for your reply. just wanted to further clarify the purpose of asking in this context.

i guess if you are outside the boundary you should have every right to shoot. yeah the security probably thinks he has the right to block you. tell him he can either let you shoot the event from there or he can be your model ;p

hamzee, what you have illustrated is very very upsetting. i would expect the policeman to say that he is not in the position to answer that if he dunno when asked, and if he is to mediate such a commotion, i would expect him to seek further advice before he acts on it.

it would be very bad if a policeman comes along in a commotion, and did the reverse of the law.

hamzee, what you have illustrated is very very upsetting. i would expect the policeman to say that he is not in the position to answer that if he dunno when asked, and if he is to mediate such a commotion, i would expect him to seek further advice before he acts on it.

it would be very bad if a policeman comes along in a commotion, and did the reverse of the law.
Heya zoosh, you know what I find the most disturbing thing about the current situation here, not many decent loving souls here in SG seems to care or at least to be bothered about it. I asked but the answers I got were somewhat lukewarm. Maybe the police dude found me to be a nuisance but that is not the main issue here. I won't be losing sleep over it because I know I won't be jailed or fined for doing photography in 'public places'. That is all that matters to me. If someone stops me from doing photography, I will just have to look around me and use my better judgment to see if its a reasonable cause of action. Then again, it is really up to me if I want to:
1. Argue with the security till the cows go home
2. Show him the middle finger
3. Be nice and courteous then walk away (hardly)
4. Make sarcastic remarks
5. Cry like a baby

Maybe I am wrong but what who cares anyway. I will probably know someday when I actually end up in court for doing something stupid. Heh. I used to skate a lot (before busting my knees) and get stopped by all sorts of people all the time. If this place is not good for me, I'll skate somewhere else. Same thing for photography too. It is a hobby for most of us and it is a job for the security. Sometimes, you might want to cut the guy some slack. When I am on a job, permit/license/whatever, I'll do anything if I have to get the shot.

I think you too should not dwell into this too much since most police or security officers usually question your motive first before either they leave you alone or tell you to go away.

The law is just as crazy as the person practising/preaching it. I am just a simple man looking for layman's answers. Cheers buddy.

PS: Its Hazmee btw. Not Hamzee. Only ang mohs have the 'right' to call me the latter. I am assuming you are a local non ang moh resident of $ingapore.

I will suggest that you take option 1 or 3. 2 can possibly be a criminal offence, and 4 and 5 are simply not feasible options.

I will suggest that you take option 1 or 3. 2 can possibly be a criminal offence, and 4 and 5 are simply not feasible options.

at first i thought option 6, ask him to call the police and let the police educate him once and for all. but now, i dun think it is an option already.

Not really, Option 6 is a really viable option in my opinion.

Then ask the policeman if he intends to charge you with any offence, and if so, what the charge is.

Hi, this is a good thread. There are many answers and questions discussing very grey areas. The clear cut answer is that anyone is allowed to take pictures of anything/ anyone in public. When in private property, you are subjected to the rules set by the private owner.

In the original example, as someone clearly pointed out, if you stepped out of the premise and shoot in, they cannot fault you. Even if you "accidentally" shoot something while in the premise, they have no right to confiscate your equipment.

Oh to add on, if they forcibly confiscate your equipment, there are a number of criminal offences you can hit them with - theft / robbery, intimidation, criminal force etc.

I was stopped by a very sterned officer for trying to take a photo at Boston. But he told me to look out for the NO PHOTOTAKING signs at his guardpost. :bsmilie: I said, Fine! So I walked away and took some photos about 100 meters away.. Ha. He can't do anything to me too.

Morale of the story, look out for such signs, or ask anyone who try to stop you to show you signs that you're not allow to take photos.:bsmilie: Another solution is of coz to buy a super tele lor. :bigeyes:

Then ask the policeman if he intends to charge you with any offence, and if so, what the charge is.
I've seen people being taken away and put into the police van without being read a charge, even though when the arrestee asked.

You talking about Chee Soon Juan?

If not, what did these "people" do?

I've seen people being taken away and put into the police van without being read a charge, even though when the arrestee asked..

I've seen people being taken away and put into the police van without being read a charge, even though when the arrestee asked.

Be careful here, stand for your rights, but do so politely and without causing public unrest. If you caused too much trouble, they "take you away in vans".

Status
Not open for further replies.