Wny gaffer tape a DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuySell

Mar 20, 2008
I've wonder why some people actually gaffer tape their DSLR or Lenses?

What is the reason? and also where to gaffer tape DSLR/Lenses?

Because it looks cool and pro.

Seriously, it protects the camera/hood surface from light scratches. Although gaffer tape should not leaves a sticky residue unlike normal household tapes, you need to change it often as prolong usage might still result in sticky residue.

Protection against abrasion, scratches, sweaty palms, etc.....

sometimes for looks...

DIY or get someone to do it... ;)

So that it cannot be identified.
Gaffer the word "Canon" on the camera because it's free advertising for Canon, and since they didn't pay us to use their cameras (rather, we pay them), why should we advertise for them? hoho

mummified equipments look cool meh?:think: have white gaffers?

So that it cannot be identified.
Gaffer the word "Canon" on the camera because it's free advertising for Canon, and since they didn't pay us to use their cameras (rather, we pay them), why should we advertise for them? hoho

yes, to make the camera beyond recognizable..

535786841_f2680108f4.jpg

So you can join National Geographics? :bsmilie:
Saw this in another thread... jungle training anyone? haha
DSC01569.jpg

Gaffer = electrical Black tape?

dun think it is the black elastic electrical tape... those are super sticky after a while..
think most of the bros here got it from BnS section...
Supposedly suitable for camera gaffering application, without leaving much residue when removing it.
Have not tried it, hmm.... maybe should buy the white gaffer tape and "L'ed my lens... :bsmilie:

So you can join National Geographics? :bsmilie:
Saw this in another thread... jungle training anyone? haha
DSC01569.jpg

Every time I see something like this, I get reminded of the cameraman in Iraq who was shot by US troops allegedly by mistake. Their excuse - his camera looks like a rocket launcher.

So please stay out of war zones and high security "trespassers will be shot on sight, survivors will be shot again" areas.

1. What is gaffering?

Gaffering is a process of sticking cloth-finishing tapes (namely Gaffer Tapes in this case) on cameras, lenses or any other equipments that need protection.

2. What is the main purpose of gaffering?

Additional Protection
Gaffering provides an extra layer of protection on your equipments. It eliminates the possibility of your equipments being scratched on their surface areas covered by the tapes, keeps plastic finishing shiny, and prevent paints on metal surfaces from peeling off. It even reduces* the damages on your equipments after a fall on the ground.

For tripods, esp carbon fiber tripods, gaffering prevent scratches on the tube surface.

Increase Resale Value
Gaffering keeps the finishing of your equipments as new as when they were bought even after years of usage. And hence raise their resale value.

*Gaffering DOES NOT PREVENT damages to your equipments, it only reduces the damage to their outer surfaces.

3. What other benefits do I get for gaffering my equipments?

Better Grip
Cloth-finishing tapes give you better grip even when you are wearing gloves in winter or with sweaty palms under the hot sun.

Low Profiled
Non-glossy black finishing of the tape keeps your equipments low-profiled.

Reduce Attention from Greedy Eyes
By gaffering the brand logos and model numbers, your equipments look less valuable to amateurs and reduces the chance of them being robbed or stolen.

Blend into The Nature
Desert and Forest Camouflage tapes are available for natural photographers who need to blend into the surroundings.

http://gaffering.blogspot.com/

so can hide all the ugly marking and cracks and leave residue on the lens and body. ;)

Love a slimy body and lens.:thumbsup: :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.