with the hacked firmware, what seperates the 300D and 10D now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrile

May 25, 2004
East, Singapore
kelvin WB setting
metering modes
buffer
perfect AI servo focusing

anything else?

how much is a 10D now? $2200-$2500?

how much is a 300D now? $1850 + freebies?

---------------------
how much more does it COST to make a magnesium alloy body? ie: is the profit per camera sold more or less close?

loupgarou said:
how much is a 10D now? $2200-$2500?

how much is a 300D now? $1850 + freebies?

---------------------
how much more does it COST to make a magnesium alloy body? ie: is the profit per camera sold more or less close?
10D is 2600 for the body only
300D is 1700 for the kit + 75-300 MkIII

paying 900 extra for the magnenesium body goes directly to their profits :bsmilie:

After reading Dpreview review on 10D many times, I'm convience that 10D is made for Quality! One thing many people didn't mention is that 10D has kind of "weather sealed". All the buttons, ports what ever lobung is being sealed by "O-Ring" type of rubber seal. Think it'll prevent dust from entering much more than a 300D.

Bobo said:
After reading Dpreview review on 10D many times, I'm convience that 10D is made for Quality! One thing many people didn't mention is that 10D has kind of "weather sealed". All the buttons, ports what ever lobung is being sealed by "O-Ring" type of rubber seal. Think it'll prevent dust from entering much more than a 300D.

only the 1D, 1Ds and 1DMKII are weather sealed according to Canon USA

Seventy-two points on the camera body are specifically gasketed and sealed to protect it even in the harshest conditions

you probably need to check again.

I posed that question above because I suspect the profit margin is more or less the same for each model or just slightly higher for the 10D (like $200)

they are still different.

Build quality. The shutter mechanism is different too. I haven't handled a 300D, but I'm quite sure the shutter is a lot louder and the camera vibrates more than a 10D.

The thumb wheel also makes a lot of difference, compared to pressing four-way buttons.

StreetShooter said:
Build quality. The shutter mechanism is different too. I haven't handled a 300D, but I'm quite sure the shutter is a lot louder and the camera vibrates more than a 10D.

The thumb wheel also makes a lot of difference, compared to pressing four-way buttons.
DPreview.com did mention something abt the shutter where they actually recorded the shutter noise into a wave file.

The shutter mechanism might be different, of a slightly cheaper alternative to the 10D's.

So...with the firmware upgraded, the 300D can do EVERYTHING that the 10D can do?

Cheers,

There is alot of other factors that is different between a comsumer-level and a pro-series cameras.

1) Shutter life
2) Edge-to-edge flatness of the film-plane/CCD
3) Durability
4) Weather-resistance
5) Built-quality
6) Pro-series cameras have a longer production run while those consumer-level cameras are testing-ground for manufactuer to test their latest technology and they may stop production of that camera anytime where they face lots of problems.

if i had that extra bit of cash i would have gone for the 10D..but the money saved could be used for acquiring lenses.

Nitrile said:
if i had that extra bit of cash i would have gone for the 10D..but the money saved could be used for acquiring lenses.

I totally agree on that... I see lens as a better investment than camera body. Unless you REALLY DIE DIE MUST HAVE all those feature of PRO body due to whatever reason... 300D is just as good ( except for the shuttle life which bothers me a bit )

benny said:
So...with the firmware upgraded, the 300D can do EVERYTHING that the 10D can do?

Cheers,
Apparently there are some features still lacking and of cos, the colour of the camera unless u strip it juz to spray the colour to black and u buy the battery pack. :D

RossChang said:
I totally agree on that... I see lens as a better investment than camera body. Unless you REALLY DIE DIE MUST HAVE all those feature of PRO body due to whatever reason... 300D is just as good ( except for the shuttle life which bothers me a bit )
The '10K shutter Death' thing? Din read much abt it, so I'll heck it, keep firing it within my 1yr warranty (hopefully can touch 10 or 20K mark) den send it for lens cleaning and serving before my warranty is up... :D

Anyway, for beginners to DSLRs, 300D seems to be a good enuff choice. 10D? Ok if u got the money. Not so ok if u're on a budget. :D

XXX Boy said:
There is alot of other factors that is different between a comsumer-level and a pro-series cameras.

The 10D is not a pro level camera. It's mid-range consumer ( or if you like, a semi-pro/serious-amateur camera ). It lacks the build quality, high specifications and weather/dust sealing that marks a true pro-spec camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.