Wirelss trigger

sweeper

Mar 25, 2005
Hi,

I am using Nikon system, need some advise here on the flashy thingy :)

Wireless Trigger -
a) Am I correct to say that wireless trigger like pocket wizard is more stable/effective then SU800 especially in outdoor - wireless vs infra ?

b) how does the pocket wizard imitation products compared
- any recommendation ?

Additional Flash Gun -
Which combo is more worth investing ( I already have a SB800 )
a) value for $
b) flexible / powerful / etc

Master + Slave
1) SB800 + SB600
2) SB800 + SB800
3) SB900 + SB800

Thanks in advance :)

U may wanna widen your options by looking at radiopoppers, alienbees cybersync, elinchrom skyport etc...

The issues with radiopoppers are they are only sold in US and Canada, whereby cybersyncs can be bought online from australia...However I believes that CathayPhoto do carry skyports...

The only advantage I see for pocket wizards for now is its able to transmit TTL...

As for a slave flash since ur gonna do some strobing...I would suggest u get one of the older nikon flashes, eg. SB2* etc....u may also wanna try looking at Vivitar 285HV or the cheapest of all YN460II...It'll be a better buy I believe since these flashes u gonna have to set them manually using these triggers except for pocket wizards...

Unless u've got money to burn..pocket wizards are the industry standards and rated above the rest...

Am currently contemplating as to wether wanna order the cybersyncs from australia...u wanna chip in...we share shipping cost?? :p

since on the topic, how do we do this on canon system?

If you don't need the TTL feature, you might want to get Elinchrom Skyport. It is cheaper to get from Amazon than from Cathay. I've been using Skyport for a few years and they are very reliable. The only disadvantage is that the battery in the receiver can not be changed.

If you don't need the TTL feature, you might want to get Elinchrom Skyport. It is cheaper to get from Amazon than from Cathay. I've been using Skyport for a few years and they are very reliable. The only disadvantage is that the battery in the receiver can not be changed.

Seriously cant be change??what happens once its batt went dead??hmmm

Seriously cant be change??what happens once its batt went dead??hmmm

It is rechargeable. However, if the battery is "dead" (no longer able to be recharged), I believe we need to send it for servicing.

The only disadvantage is that the battery in the receiver can not be changed.
Isn't that a big disadvantage? I wouldn't opt for this knowing it cannot be changed.

../azul123

Thanks for the enlightenment....btw how much cheaper u got it from amazon compared to the cathay photo ones?

If i remember it correctly. I brought the trigger and receiver set from Cathay at about $360 few years ago. It cost less than $300 (including transport using vpost) if purchase from Amazon.

Isn't that a big disadvantage? I wouldn't opt for this knowing it cannot be changed.

../azul123

Yes, it is. However, if compare to Pocket Wizard, which is not available in Singapore (the last time I checked) and it cost almost twice the price of Skyport. For servicing the Pocket Wizard, you will need to send it back to the service center in US (at your own cost) if you purchase it from US online store.

To me, it would be cheaper to get another skyport receiver.

For Skyport transmitter, the battery is replaceable and available in most hardware store like homefix.

this sounds noob but, these systems require me to have a master flash first right? i would then have to attached one of these stuffs to a slave flash?

i already have the canon 580exII but i cant use it remotely right?

To use these system, u will need a transmitter and a receiver from any of the stated product...usually ur transmitter will be placed on ur camera hotshoe...if u insist on putting a flash unit on ur camera, u will need to get a bracket and connect it using a jack from the transmitter to the flash unit....

The other slave flashes will be connected to a receiver on the other end...Thus when u snap a shot, the transmitter will transmit radio signals to the receiver. In simple term the camera will talk to the off camera flashes to fire at the same time...

Hope this answers ur question.... :)

but isnt the 580exII equip to be able to receive ir signals already?

These equipment arent using IR signals...they are using radio signals instead...u can also trigger wirelessly using 580exII as a master flash on ur hotshoe and other canon flashes as slaves without using any of these products...

The only limitations are the effective distance and IR signals require line of sight...If that is fine with u...u can get for urself ST-E2 to be attached on ur hotshoe and trigger ur 580EXII wirelessly...

thanks. then there is the other issue that st-e2 only works with canon flashes right? point taken.

Thanks for the input :)

It depends on your shooting style for me i use CLS. Unless you need the range and flexibility CLS is more than enough for beginners or even pros. Joe Mcnally uses CLS too.

I agree pocket wizard is far better and reliable esp for outdoor but for me i have no problem with it.

If you are not using ITTL then get phottix will do but i recommend pocket wizard then imitation.

Spend on at least 1 SB900. The best flash so far and use SB800 as slave. You can invest some on SB600 too it is a good bargain now.

Hi,

I am using Nikon system, need some advise here on the flashy thingy :)

Wireless Trigger -
a) Am I correct to say that wireless trigger like pocket wizard is more stable/effective then SU800 especially in outdoor - wireless vs infra ?

b) how does the pocket wizard imitation products compared
- any recommendation ?

Additional Flash Gun -
Which combo is more worth investing ( I already have a SB800 )
a) value for $
b) flexible / powerful / etc

Master + Slave
1) SB800 + SB600
2) SB800 + SB800
3) SB900 + SB800

Thanks in advance :)

I went for Pocketwizards after much hesitation and frustration. It seems like a lot of money for a wireless trigger system, so I tried those China-made triggers. The only reason why I didn't smash them up is because I'd have to spend more money to buy a hammer.

The Pocketwizards are the industry standard triggers, so you'd be able to rent more units anywhere in the world. The huge user base also means you're more likely to be able to buy pre-owned units should you need to expand your system.

One consideration is the players that work with PocketWizards. For example, Profoto works with PocketWizards so I do not need to buy another unit of the trigger if I'm using a Profoto with built-in trigger. Or the Sekonic light meter with the PocketWizard module helps me take readings wirelessly. No association with PocketWizard - just a happy customer who's enjoying reliable and long-distance wireless triggering.

P.S: I didn't buy the TTL version. The Plus II version was what I wanted - to make my flash fire every time.