Wireless triggers VS flash with built-in receivers

SilentSeth

Jun 7, 2011
Hi all,

I am planning to get off-camera flash setup (strobist, in short). At the moment I am considering the options from YongNuo, but still undecided whether to get the usual wireless triggers set (say with YN 622 / YN 622 TX and any flash) or just go straight with the flash with built-in receivers combination (such as YN 560 and YN 560 TX).

FYI, as for now I only have a Nissin Di866 mk2 flash. Not interested in getting a full-scale setup.. Just a small setup to learn and explore things (not to mention keeping them portable).

Would appreciate some pointers here regarding the pros & cons of each solution (or probably if I misunderstood those solutions).

Hi TS, just sharing some points you may wish to consider in your strobist journey...

First is whether you wish to do 'manual' or 'TTL' power setting for your various speedlites?

Second is whether you wish to use one same brand of speedlites or you wanna mix n match?

Pls share your preferences to questions 1 and 2 above, and you'll get more qualified suggestions and inputs to help you decide.

Cheers.
Fred

Hi sf_kang,

Thanks for the reply.

My preferences are as follow:

- Manual. TTL is a bonus.
- Same brand or mix & match will do, I prefer one which is a better value for money.
- Prefer tranceiver design with remote shutter release ability.
- Most likely will only use 2 speedlites (or more if anyone of you willing to buy for me :))

Hi TS, just sharing some points you may wish to consider in your strobist journey...

First is whether you wish to do 'manual' or 'TTL' power setting for your various speedlites?

Second is whether you wish to use one same brand of speedlites or you wanna mix n match?

Pls share your preferences to questions 1 and 2 above, and you'll get more qualified suggestions and inputs to help you decide.

Cheers.
Fred

Assuming your main priority is 'manual' flash power setting, you wanna mix n match different brands of speedlites, and maybe limited budget, you might wish to consider 3 units of the Yongnou RF-603 Transcievers (or similar ones from other brands). I used the older Yongnou RF-602 (separate transmitter n receivers) when I shoot "manual" flash power. I use this for my Nikon DSLR and also when shooting w Fujifilm mirrorless cameras. I use a mixture of Nikon SB900 and Yongnuo YN560 speedlites.

Check in BnS sections. There are some sets up for sale..

Cheers.
Fred

I see.. some more questions if you don't mind;

Using RF 603 mk2, are we able to manually control each flash' power from within the body flash menu? (I'm a Canon 6D user btw, and I found that quite useful sometimes) - which is why I was considering between these two in the first place:
- The YN-622-TX and YN-622C receivers (full ETTL and Remote Manual system)
- The YN560-TX and YN-560 III (Remote Manual system only)

Will I be able to control RF 603 mk2 from the 622TX or 560TX?

Also, using these as a wireless shutter trigger, which system allows me to do this:

1) Camera on tripod, 1 flash on lightstand, and I'm holding another separate flash (with trigger attached) to act as a remote shutter button to trigger the camera and flashes?
2) Same setup but this time around both flashes are on lightstands, and I'm holding a separate trigger without a flash attached to it, to trigger the camera and flashes.

Would those scenarios be possible?

Bumping up to get more information...

603 are manual triggers. so no, you need to control power from the flash units itself. And no, from the looks of it 622TX will only work with 622 transceivers.

As for the different scenarios, why don't you read the manual to see if they are workable? You can download the manual here: http://yongnuo.com.cn/usermanual/pdf/YN-622N-TX_Usermanua_EN_CN.pdf

Last edited:
After more reading here and there, I've decided that 622 models (and the 622 TX if required) provide me better flexibility in the future and recently got a set.

Thanks to sf_kang (for the explanation) and daredevil123 (previously a bit hesitant looking at yong nuo website due to their broken English).

After more reading here and there, I've decided that 622 models (and the 622 TX if required) provide me better flexibility in the future and recently got a set. Thanks to sf_kang (for the explanation) and daredevil123 (previously a bit hesitant looking at yong nuo website due to their broken English).

Hi SS, glad you found a solution you like. Just for your info, when I shoot with my nikon system (D3s, SB900), I use PocketWizard's AC3, Mini TT1, Flex TT5. These allow me to seamlessly shoot with manual flash power as well as iTTL, all settings done from the on-camera AC3.

Hi SS, glad you found a solution you like. Just for your info, when I shoot with my nikon system (D3s, SB900), I use PocketWizard's AC3, Mini TT1, Flex TT5. These allow me to seamlessly shoot with manual flash power as well as iTTL, all settings done from the on-camera AC3.

Hi sf_kang, yeah good to know that I'm able to at least control the manual power settings from within my camera body. I previously used 60D's built-in flash to command the Nissin 866ii flash (optically), but since 6D doesn't have built in flash I need to resort to wireless triggers. I played with a friend's PW AC3 before, it's nice and very intuitive to use. YN 622 TX more or less offers similar functionality, but I don't think I need that, at least not for now.

Thanks again.

sorry for posting this here (didn't want to start a new thread)

Thinking of using an optical flash trigger. - anyone here who has an experience using one?

Reason for using the trigger is that I'm currently using an Olympus Flash

I'm thinking of switching to a Sony next year, looking at the next RX100

If my research is correct, the optical trigger should work on all cameras as long as the flash is enabled.

So during parties... I can set-up 1 flash (with an umbrella) then all cameras in the party (Olympus, Nikon & Sony) should be able to use the same flash.

sorry for posting this here (didn't want to start a new thread)

Thinking of using an optical flash trigger. - anyone here who has an experience using one?

Reason for using the trigger is that I'm currently using an Olympus Flash

I'm thinking of switching to a Sony next year, looking at the next RX100

If my research is correct, the optical trigger should work on all cameras as long as the flash is enabled.

So during parties... I can set-up 1 flash (with an umbrella) then all cameras in the party (Olympus, Nikon & Sony) should be able to use the same flash.

Do start a new thread if you have a new question

I have not used an optical flash trigger before, however I have used the optical trigger on my manual flash Yongnuo YN560. Triggers with any flash, just note that if the camera is doing TTL flash metering, the optical flash may trigger early due to the flash metering pre-flashes. Either set the optical trigger to ignore the pre-flashes, or set camera to manual flash exposure

Do start a new thread if you have a new question

I have not used an optical flash trigger before, however I have used the optical trigger on my manual flash Yongnuo YN560. Triggers with any flash, just note that if the camera is doing TTL flash metering, the optical flash may trigger early due to the flash metering pre-flashes. Either set the optical trigger to ignore the pre-flashes, or set camera to manual flash exposure

thanks... will purchase a trigger to play with it.