Wireless solution for 580ex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horus

Oct 23, 2002
Northern Singapore
hi people just wondering if anyone had any success triggering the 580s reliably using a radio trigger. Looking at either the Bowens Pulsar or the Pocket Wizards. Checked a pair of wizards cost like S$1k!! Very pricey hoping for alternatives. Got 2 x paramount cords ordered online too (used as hot shoe to trigger the radio triggers). Anyone out there tried this?? Tried Jibei triggers before not very reliable....

The 'only' other solution is the Canon ST-E2 wireless trigger. For 290 bucks, its an over-priced wireless trigger which only does one thing, trigger the flash.

I suggest you wait for the 580EX II which most probably can be triggered by third party triggers.

The 'only' other solution is the Canon ST-E2 wireless trigger. For 290 bucks, its an over-priced wireless trigger which only does one thing, trigger the flash.

I suggest you wait for the 580EX II which most probably can be triggered by third party triggers.

thanks for suggestion. tried the ST-E2 before din like it abit limited outdoors. Guess like you suggested may have to look at 580EX II? :p If anyone has had any success stories please share ok.

the st-e2 can also trigger 2 flashes, and allows you to adjust the balance between the two.

how to trigger with Pocket Wizards with no pc hole? unless u talking abt 580ex ii

how to trigger with Pocket Wizards with no pc hole? unless u talking abt 580ex ii

hotshoe -> PC sync adaptor :)

You can also have a look at Elinchrom Skyport.
Considerably cheaper than pocketwizard, and works :)
I think they can be had at around 330 for a trasmitter and receiver.

I'm getting mine once the local shop gets more stock - and I'm hoping they are more reliable than the ebay ones (which I've read some reliability issues about)

If you want ETTL, ST-E2 is your only option.

I don't believe that the 580EX can be triggered by anything other than the ST E2 or the Off shoe cord.

I don't believe that the 580EX can be triggered by anything other than the ST E2 or the Off shoe cord.

It can be, with appropriate adaptors (hot shoe -> pc sync adaptor) or modifications (adding a miniphone jack), there are many possibilities including Pocketwizards, Elinchrom skyport, ebay triggers, optical slave triggers (peanut?)

i trigger my 580EX via radio trigger. ;)

manual mode though

OK I'm wrong but I don't see the point of going to manual when the 580 has so much to offer on auto. Like buying a ferrari and using narrow and slow tyres so that you can extract and use the full power of its engine. Is there any advantage of using manual for the 580? I'll be interested to know what advantage(s) you have.

OK I'm wrong but I don't see the point of going to manual when the 580 has so much to offer on auto. Like buying a ferrari and using narrow and slow tyres so that you can extract and use the full power of its engine. Is there any advantage of using manual for the 580? I'll be interested to know what advantage(s) you have.

it's up to the individual. most of the time i use radio trigger is when doing studio product shoots. so it's manual for me.

ST-E2 and off shoe cord will also allow manual control.
However, I think that users of radio trigger use manual control because they have no choice - ETTL will not work. Or perhaps they want that feeling of control (or the ability to reproduce the same result if required).
I would like it if the radio triggers had ETTL, but it doesn't. Then why not just get the ST-E2? My excuse for that is just the 'issues' (which may not really even be that much of a problem) in the reliability of using it outdoors in sunlight. and why not just the offshoe cord? because it won't let me pull it far enough away from the camera.

If you bought a ferrari, I'm sure you would also enjoy having manual transmission rather than always have it on auto? :)

[If you bought a ferrari, I'm sure you would also enjoy having manual transmission rather than always have it on auto? :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry to OT but nowadays, most Ferraris come with auto transmission, even their F1 cars!

[If you bought a ferrari, I'm sure you would also enjoy having manual transmission rather than always have it on auto? :)

Sorry to OT but nowadays, most Ferraris come with auto transmission, even their F1 cars![/QUOTE]

bahahah lol :) This is what happens when I talk about something I don't know anything about - I say wrong things :)

Would you buy an auto ferrari? I wouldn't.
Not because I don't like auto, but because I don't have enough money (not even for the manual one!) horhorhorhor

dont need "auto". Auto sucks and doenst give you the effect you one most of the time. If you are doing creative lighting, you will certainly be using manual all the time.

hi people just wondering if anyone had any success triggering the 580s reliably using a radio trigger. Looking at either the Bowens Pulsar or the Pocket Wizards. Checked a pair of wizards cost like S$1k!! Very pricey hoping for alternatives. Got 2 x paramount cords ordered online too (used as hot shoe to trigger the radio triggers). Anyone out there tried this?? Tried Jibei triggers before not very reliable....

i am also looking for alternatives....check out my car poto...i have probl;ems getting the 2 flash at the right angle and able to receive the signal from the STE2..sometimes can detect sometimes cannot...quite irritated when using it outdoors...
MitLancer042.jpg

MitLancer040.jpg

Next time go for shoot with your Mit must call me mah...:bsmilie:

Nice shots btw. :)

i am also looking for alternatives....check out my car poto...i have probl;ems getting the 2 flash at the right angle and able to receive the signal from the STE2..sometimes can detect sometimes cannot...quite irritated when using it outdoors...
MitLancer042.jpg

MitLancer040.jpg

sample image please! :D
I enjoy the images already :D nice nice looking setup :D

Status
Not open for further replies.