wireless remote help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamspace5005

Oct 9, 2009
Hi guys, I've been wondering, can I get long exposures like eg. 10mins,30mins,1hrs,3hrs etc. by using wireless remote? Lets say I'm trying to do starlight photography with long exposures, do I need to press and hold the shutter button like 30mins to 2hrs with the remote or just press once and it will remain expose as long as I want then press again to release? Any good brands, cheap and good out there?

Thanks...:D

Hi guys, I've been wondering, can I get long exposures like eg. 10mins,30mins,1hrs,3hrs etc. by using wireless remote? Lets say I'm trying to do starlight photography with long exposures, do I need to press and hold the shutter button like 30mins to 2hrs with the remote or just press once and it will remain expose as long as I want then press again to release? Any good brands, cheap and good out there?

Thanks...:D

What camera are u using?

For long exposure, often a cable release that can lock will be able to do the job..but not all cameras have support for cable release. Some higher end cable release allows doing interval shooting.

Nikon DSLR with the infra-red remote ML-L3 and bulb mode... 1 press to open the shutter... 1 press to close it.

i'm using Canon 50D... any remote that can operate with it?

Did you read your manual? Or even take a look at the flaps on the left side of your camera? Did you see the "N3 remote terminal" connector?

Now you know what to look for.

Canon 50D has a port for connecting remote shutter release.

Depends on ur budget..most third party ones are good enough which cost not more than $50..but do make sure they have the lock feature..

Or if u want original ones..with timer control
Canon TC-80N3 Timer Remote Control

Check out the Mass Sales section in this forum..there are some pretty good third party options available..

alright guys thank you so much for the responds. appreciate it lots... thank you :)

You can also get 3rd party products or you can do some DIY works. I used an older computer mouse and replaced the ball with a flip switch. The mouse buttons work as 'half press' and 'full press', the flip switch locks the shutter for bulb exposure. The connector for 350D is a simple stereo plug for earphones. Takes <$5 in material and maybe 1h work if you are familiar with soldering. For other Canon models there are instructions online showing how to connect the pins. Now I have a camera with mouse control, using standard stereo cables it easily be extended to a couple of meters reach if necessary.

dreamspace5005 said:

Rashkae said:
Did you read your manual? Or even take a look at the flaps on the left side of your camera? Did you see the "N3 remote terminal" connector?

Now you know what to look for.

dreamspace5005 said:
alright guys thank you so much for the responds. appreciate it lots... thank you :)

You should check it yourself or search for the answer first.
www.google.com + "Canon 50D wireless remote" should have gotten you some useful results.

You expect to be spoonfed, I think it's not the right way to learn photography.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.