Wireless Photography (Wi-Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlala

Nov 7, 2007
Hi Everyone!

I found this thread on the Wi-Pics system, which allows event photographers to shoot wirelessly and it's compatible with all dslrs. So, i'm thinking of investing in one, which may be quite suitable for my business model (rental of equipments). This can also give you guys the option to sell prints on the spot. ;)

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=186598

But first, i would just like to gather some opinions from you pros about this: :D

1) What do you think of this equipment? Will it be a good option?

2) How do you pros usually transfer your images, if you need to print on the spot?

3) Do most photographers have the WFT for their individual dslr?

4) I assume most of you would prefer to use the WFT for your individual dslr right? But what if, you do not have any and offered a job for wireless photography, would you guys source out for the rental service of this equipment? :embrass:

Appreciate your valuable opinions on this, before i invest in this $5000... ;p

Thanks all!

My personal opinion: (i might be wrong :):)

Too bulky and too expensive compare with the original manufacturer WT, you're moving less

2) How do you pros usually transfer your images, if you need to print on the spot?
im not pro, but i did for my clients, transfer using firewire reader still the fastest way, not all client need print on the spot

It is still expensive toys, unless those really2 in to this business

4) I assume most of you would prefer to use the WFT for your individual dslr right? But what if, you do not have any and offered a job for wireless photography, would you guys source out for the rental service of this equipment? :embrass:
If can rent with reasonable price why not

there's one toys that the price quite reasonable, you might find here:
http://www.eye.fi/

i ordered one but seems they will deliver only in the December

hi just checking if anyone who who i can rent a transmitter for nikon , i want to transfer file via wireless , being loong around but cant find anyone has one for rent ?

$5k is very expensive for such a cumbersome equipment. Wireless menas free from all those wires not still have one dangelling from the camera to a pouch on my waist. :thumbsd:

The Nikon WT-2 is only $1.2k RRP (WT-3 even cheaper by $100) which i'm sure it's cheaper in the shops. Not sure of the Canon ones.;)
WT-2 requires Nikon Capture software to work.
http://nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=208-744d510b4d

The Eye Fi does not work outside of USA and only with JPEG.:thumbsd:
http://www.eye.fi/help/

Generally all WiFi transmitters requires a wireless router to enable the transfer to the computer, meaning that you can do it outdoors unless you carry a wireless router along.:nono:

Hi, just to share some exprience using WiFi transmitters.

I own a Canon WFT-E2, which can only fitted onto the 1DMK3. It is a small light device cost around $1.2K. It can wireless transfer to any device with wireless access points through PTP, FTP & HTTP. It also can transfer files to an external harddisk or thumbdrive, cause it does have a USB port built-in.

The way I make the connection is through Ad-hoc situation, which doesn't require any router as long as the laptop or PC have a wireless function. The device is able to transmit files within 50 - 60 mm diameter range outdoor and indoor. The fastest transfer rate which I tested for RAW file (15mb) is 2-3secs with no interference.

WiFi transmitters is a useful device, it does help me in events which require life feed and on the spot printing. It does help me during on-location shoot, which I can view the image on my laptop after each shot to ensure the details are OK. Sometimes, you can even impress your customer by linking it to a LCD screen to show them the product after each shot, which can be an advantage when preparing qoutation. ;)

i believe, if u have read carefully, the FAQ said "The Eye-Fi Card is currently only supported in the USA." ie - u can use it outside USA. just dat if it's broken or u encounter any problems, u dun have anyone to turn to locally....

My personal opinion: (i might be wrong :):)

Too bulky and too expensive compare with the original manufacturer WT, you're moving less

im not pro, but i did for my clients, transfer using firewire reader still the fastest way, not all client need print on the spot

It is still expensive toys, unless those really2 in to this business

If can rent with reasonable price why not

there's one toys that the price quite reasonable, you might find here:
http://www.eye.fi/

i ordered one but seems they will deliver only in the December

thanks xl1! Will take note of your opinions.
Anyway, you were saying about the firewire reader.
it works like the usb correct? it doesn't allow wireless transfer right? :embrass:

$5k is very expensive for such a cumbersome equipment. Wireless menas free from all those wires not still have one dangelling from the camera to a pouch on my waist. :thumbsd:

The Nikon WT-2 is only $1.2k RRP (WT-3 even cheaper by $100) which i'm sure it's cheaper in the shops. Not sure of the Canon ones.;)
WT-2 requires Nikon Capture software to work.
http://nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=208-744d510b4d

Generally all WiFi transmitters requires a wireless router to enable the transfer to the computer, meaning that you can do it outdoors unless you carry a wireless router along.:nono:

hi, tommon... yeah, i understand that wi pics still need to have the dangling cable... which is still not wireless... haha!

thanks on the wt-2 price niway, though i still prefer to invest on an equipment that's compatible for all dslrs... but i still can't seem to find any, except for the wi-pics.

any suggestions, anyone?

Hi, just to share some exprience using WiFi transmitters.

I own a Canon WFT-E2, which can only fitted onto the 1DMK3. It is a small light device cost around $1.2K. It can wireless transfer to any device with wireless access points through PTP, FTP & HTTP. It also can transfer files to an external harddisk or thumbdrive, cause it does have a USB port built-in.

The way I make the connection is through Ad-hoc situation, which doesn't require any router as long as the laptop or PC have a wireless function. The device is able to transmit files within 50 - 60 mm diameter range outdoor and indoor. The fastest transfer rate which I tested for RAW file (15mb) is 2-3secs with no interference.

WiFi transmitters is a useful device, it does help me in events which require life feed and on the spot printing. It does help me during on-location shoot, which I can view the image on my laptop after each shot to ensure the details are OK. Sometimes, you can even impress your customer by linking it to a LCD screen to show them the product after each shot, which can be an advantage when preparing qoutation. ;)

thanks for the explanation phoakm! It really helps! :D

yeah, live photography is really picking up nowadays ya. and that's why i'm thinking of investing on this equipment. but it seem to not have positive feedbacks...:think:

thanks for the explanation phoakm! It really helps! :D

yeah, live photography is really picking up nowadays ya. and that's why i'm thinking of investing on this equipment. but it seem to not have positive feedbacks...:think:

Normally negative feedbacks, is because the transfering rate are not fast enough or the disconnection during transmition. This is because the Hot Spot in the area like walls or other interference device and the layout of the area which doesn't contribute smooth transmission. This could happen to other wireless devices.

Normally, this case you may need signal enhancers or range extenders to maintain constant connection for both devices. I seen in an article before that they connect a Mac airport to the WiFi device to enhance the signal. Of course, you may need portable battery and other stuff to support, which involve $$$$. If you are shooting a subject within a range let's say 10m between devices, should be OK.

I also notice about you mentioning the printing photos not fast. The transmission slow may be part of the factor, but the main contribution is the printer itself. Currently, those portable printers have printing speed of 40 - 60s per 4R, which is not acceptable to most customers, result long queue. :bsmilie:.. You may need to invest in a faster printing machine with speed less than 10s per 4R, this is pricey.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Normally negative feedbacks, is because the transfering rate are not fast enough or the disconnection during transmition. This is because the Hot Spot in the area like walls or other interference device and the layout of the area which doesn't contribute smooth transmission. This could happen to other wireless devices.

Normally, this case you may need signal enhancers or range extenders to maintain constant connection for both devices. I seen in an article before that they connect a Mac airport to the WiFi device to enhance the signal. Of course, you may need portable battery and other stuff to support, which involve $$$$. If you are shooting a subject within a range let's say 10m between devices, should be OK.

I also notice about you mentioning the printing photos not fast. The transmission slow may be part of the factor, but the main contribution is the printer itself. Currently, those portable printers have printing speed of 40 - 60s per 4R, which is not acceptable to most customers, result long queue. :bsmilie:.. You may need to invest in a faster printing machine with speed less than 10s per 4R, this is pricey.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

I seeee... thanks very much! Printer wise, we will be using the one tat prints 4r in 10 secs. So, it's not gonna be much of an issue for printing... :D

However, the main problem for me now is to get the correct equipment for this business model... i can't be investing in the wfts for all the different dslr... that's gonna cost a bomb! ;p

So, anyone has any other suggestions?

Cheers! ;)

i believe, if u have read carefully, the FAQ said "The Eye-Fi Card is currently only supported in the USA." ie - u can use it outside USA. just dat if it's broken or u encounter any problems, u dun have anyone to turn to locally....

Tested the item and very bad experience. Tedious setup process and MUST HAVE internet to do so. And conclusion is after 2 hours of play around it still don't work. Worse it breaks down after a PC format. Now sent in for refund

Status
Not open for further replies.