Wireless Lan Surfing in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff chen

Sep 1, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi, anyone wants to share their experiences with wireless lan surfing in Singapore? Especially those using Singtel/singnet hotspots.

We just got a Toshiba e740 and tried using the wifi device at BK at Orchard Cineleisure, did not work at all.

It cld be the fact that we did not use it correctly but the signal strength seems low at 35%.

All users are welcome to share their experiences.

Originally posted by jeff chen
Hi, anyone wants to share their experiences with wireless lan surfing in Singapore? Especially those using Singtel/singnet hotspots.

We just got a Toshiba e740 and tried using the wifi device at BK at Orchard Cineleisure, did not work at all.

It cld be the fact that we did not use it correctly but the signal strength seems low at 35%.

All users are welcome to share their experiences.

I tried with a iPAQ 5450 at Tampines BK (outside actually) and a 3870 + Linksys WiFi card at IMM BK and IMM Starbucks and it worked pretty well. 100% signal strength when I am directly outside and quickly drops when I move away. So move around for the best signal strength.

Make sure you've also set SSID to "singtel".

Regards
CK

Thanks. Will try to move around within the hotspot next time.

My SSID says "any" and was told that it will pick up the signal accordingly...hmm...wonder if that is correct?

Originally posted by jeff chen
Thanks. Will try to move around within the hotspot next time.

My SSID says "any" and was told that it will pick up the signal accordingly...hmm...wonder if that is correct?

I think you might have to explicitly set to "Singtel" for it to work properly. Otherwis, the Access Point might not "accept" you.

Regards
Ck

Ah...maybe that is why our signal strength was that low. Will try again next time. Thks for the advice...

have been using M1 and only cos I dun have a singtel account

btw, singtel one is it free?? dun mind to pay a bit for usage, but i dig the whole singtel website also never say how much are they going to charge

for M1, the free trail suppose to end on 31 March, tried using at Suntec Subway and also Funan center coffee bean

very fast speed and no lag

Originally posted by Wai
have been using M1 and only cos I dun have a singtel account

btw, singtel one is it free?? dun mind to pay a bit for usage, but i dig the whole singtel website also never say how much are they going to charge

for M1, the free trail suppose to end on 31 March, tried using at Suntec Subway and also Funan center coffee bean

very fast speed and no lag

Singtel is $0.28 per minute I think.

http://home.singtel.com/consumer/pr..._added_services/outdoor_wireless_surf_faq.asp

Regards
CK

think for singnet wireless.. hotspot surfing is $0.20/min..
must read in their printed ads on newspp :)

Originally posted by Wai
20.08 cents per min...$12.48 per hour!!!

i will rather go internet cafe...

If you talk on your mobile during the peak hours, it's just slightly under that I think. :) Anyway, don't think it's meant for casual surfing lar. But then again, I think a volume-based charging will work better for this sort of thing.

Regards
CK

Hi i am curious abt the M1 SunSurf leh.. Tried to go online on it but so far could only find the network SSID "M1 Sunsurf" or "BECIMO". Then later go internet explorer like no diff leh cannot connect..

Followed instructions disable WEP n proxy also no go. Suppose to see some questionnaire. Haha can anyone help me??

Wai, think u could share with us how u got into it?? ;p

Thanks a lot

Wireless LAN surfing in NTU??? hahahaha
free. :devil:

Originally posted by ckiang
If you talk on your mobile during the peak hours, it's just slightly under that I think. :) Anyway, don't think it's meant for casual surfing lar. But then again, I think a volume-based charging will work better for this sort of thing.

Regards
CK

talk on mobile the most a few mintues...

but surfing net....can easily clock a few hours...

great for checking email with a PDA

btw, is this cheaper than GPRS?

Originally posted by grifter
Hi i am curious abt the M1 SunSurf leh.. Tried to go online on it but so far could only find the network SSID "M1 Sunsurf" or "BECIMO". Then later go internet explorer like no diff leh cannot connect..

Followed instructions disable WEP n proxy also no go. Suppose to see some questionnaire. Haha can anyone help me??

Wai, think u could share with us how u got into it?? ;p

Thanks a lot

first, check signal level and make sure it uses or "M1 Sunsurf" or "BECIMO".

start IE and go to any website, you will first brought to M1 website, u will then see two frames. The lower frame is blue and it ask u to login, but i dun have an account (and i dunno how to get one) so i click on the login button in the upper frame, then some simple questions like name, email, phone no....etc

no need to give real one....then after that, abt 3-4 windows will pop out....u can close all of them and start surfing....there is no time limit

but sometimes, i encounter that even there is signal, the login page cannot be displayed.

first go to command prompt and type ipconfig to check if any IP address assigned to u. if not, restart PC and hopefully the router will assign u with an IP next time. also check and make sure that the SSID are "M1 Sunsurf" or "BECIMO".

Hey thanks alot!

Hmm tried to surf sites but IE jus say no connection, funny liao. Only have not tried resetting.. Its late gotta ga lioa byebey thanks for ur help :cool:

Regards

Originally posted by Wai
talk on mobile the most a few mintues...

but surfing net....can easily clock a few hours...

great for checking email with a PDA

btw, is this cheaper than GPRS?

GRPS is charged by volume. $0.005 per KB or something like that.

Regards
CK

For info, there is a singtel promo, surf with GPRS and wireless lan for S$26 a month. Check it out for those with GPRS and WIFI products.

Status
Not open for further replies.