Wired Or wireless Remote for Canon 550D?

ghost7

Dec 11, 2011
Singapore
Hi guys,

My first post here. I am relatively new to photography as I just pick it up last month, but had been reading up thur forums and magazine.

I plan on getting a remote for my dslr as I felt that it is an essential item.

However, i am clueless whether to get a wired or wireless??
Which Brand is good & affordable??
Since I am getting a remote, Should I also get one with multi-purpose, able to take time-lapse photo??

Thanks everyone in advance!!!!!:):)

Hi ghost7

depends on what you want the remote for.

i got a wireless remote for taking group photo so that I could be in the picture and it was a big mistake..
the range of the wireless remote is quite short.. so the photos ended up with me hands up pointing the remote at the camera..

i think it will be useful if you just want to use it to minimise camera shake when depressing the shutter when the camera is already mounted on a tripod.

mine is now sitting in my dry cab.. i can sell it to you if u want..just PM me

i have both and generally i use the wired one with the ir remote as a backup.

For wireless remote, if you happen to be in a place with a lot of people (eg. national day fireworks), you can expect a lot of interference. In that case wired remote will be better.

In other cases, like taking group photos, wireless would be good, some 3rd party ones have a range up to 200m which I find work much better than the OEM ones.

IR remote can only be use when the remote is directly pointing to the source of the receiver. It can be quite limited in use and anything blocking the IR signal, it will not work anymore. A wired option is good, but the range can only be as far as your wire's length.

The other option is to get one of those radio frequency remote that you fit to your hotshoe like the Pixel. They generally had a longer range and you can stand at almost anywhere to shoot that photo.

Yup, a wireless radio frequency remote would be a bit more expensive but would be a multi purpose remote for you. No need to worry about the infra red and the short wire. Just snap anywhere within 50-100 meters of where your camera stands fron or back too. You can check out shops in funan. A lot of them selling this.

Cheers!

Wireless range was a problem. Got a wired, it is better.
For tripod to avoid shakes.
The online stores or their brick stores are cheaper

If camera body has built-in IR receiver, makes sense to at least get an IR remote (very cheap on eBay) for those times when it's too troublesome to plug in a wired remote or receiver.
You can avoid photographing yourself holding the remote by having "remote + delay" function.

I would say get both wired and wireless, depending on the situation.

Thank for all the response:) Appreciate it.

After reading all the response, I decided on a wired remote first and see how it goes.