wired networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

teruranse

Dec 19, 2006
hi does anyone know how home wired network cables are run?
my house have juz completed renovation with network points in all rooms... but there are 2 extra long CAT5 cables that are free running and not conceal in the casing or wall sockets... does anyone what are they for? i tot all networks points should be conceal nicely in those wall sockets?
tks...

Only the person who run the network point will be able to tell you.

Basically, one end of the network point is in your room and the other end should end up in a central location where you have a router or switch or router/switch. The central location should be where you have your cable or ADSL modem setup. If you have 4 rooms, then the central location should have at least 4 cables. This is just one example.

my house have juz completed renovation with network points in all rooms... but there are 2 extra long CAT5 cables that are free running and not conceal in the casing or wall sockets... does anyone what are they for? i tot all networks points should be conceal nicely in those wall sockets?
tks...

well, how many points do you have?

u basically need a room or place whereby all the lines must converge to that point. its where you put your router/switch.

so its like,

Living Room <--> Network Room
Master bedroom <--> Network Room
Bed Room 1 <--> Network Room
Bed Room 2 <--> Network Room
Kitchen <--> Network Room
Toilet <--> Network Room

Then from above u probably need a 5 port router and another 5 port switch

but u say only 2 wire... probably u only got 2 point, so that place will be the network room. crimp the 2 cables and then plug into the router, then the other 2 rooms will have network access.

well, how many points do you have?

u basically need a room or place whereby all the lines must converge to that point. its where you put your router/switch.

so its like,

Living Room <--> Network Room
Master bedroom <--> Network Room
Bed Room 1 <--> Network Room
Bed Room 2 <--> Network Room
Kitchen <--> Network Room
Toilet <--> Network Room

Then from above u probably need a 5 port router and another 5 port switch

but u say only 2 wire... probably u only got 2 point, so that place will be the network room. crimp the 2 cables and then plug into the router, then the other 2 rooms will have network access.

tks for the reply... i think i left out one detail... there is another network point in my room but is in the wall socket... so that effectively make my room to be 3 network point... so do i plug my modem in the tv (from SH) and i plug my CAT5 cable into the modem? if yes what do the 2 long cables meant for?

its this suppose to be the usual cable setup when contractors doing network points?

tks

tks for the reply... i think i left out one detail... there is another network point in my room but is in the wall socket... so that effectively make my room to be 3 network point... so do i plug my modem in the tv (from SH) and i plug my CAT5 cable into the modem? if yes what do the 2 long cables meant for?

its this suppose to be the usual cable setup when contractors doing network points?

tks

cheem, i am assuming the 2 long cables are Cat 5...

so you got total of how many network points, its kinda confusing unless u draw a layout map. else nobody can help you except your contractor.

the last time i do mine up, i have all the wall plugs in each room and all of them link to the network room, so from there i just plug the cables into the router. simpler... you now have 3 network points, so should be 3 cables... so its kinda funny its only 2 cables...

btw y plug your modem to tv? you using the hubstation free broadband?

You need to check which cable is the incoming from the telecoms riser. For most Condos, the wiring is to a room where all the cables terminate. This is where you should put your switch or router. The wiring is as such:

Telelcoms Riser - Phone Cable ---> Terminating Room (for me, kitchen)
Telecoms Riser - Spare cable ----> Terminating Room
Living Room --(Cat 5)------------> Terminating Room
Dining Room --(Cat 5) -----------> Terminating Room

etc.

You may have more than 1 cat 5 wire from each room to the terminating room, in this case, check if the socket is 8 pin or 6 pin. The 8 pin socket is for your network and the 6 pin socket is for your phone system.

Hope this info helps.

or just use homeplug, unless the slight drop in latency and speed affects your games.

tks...

Wahahahah :cool:

You should question your contractors before they hand over the house to you.

2 Long Cat5 cables running exposed and you just let them off ?? :thumbsup:

No need network expert to tell that something its wrong !

Status
Not open for further replies.