Winter Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpioh

Jul 17, 2007
Woodlands
Can the normal DA/Limited lenses take the cold or do I need the DA*s? Or are the DA*s able to take cold temperatures other than being sealed against moisture? Say in sub-zero temperatures? Thanks.

Can the normal DA/Limited lenses take the cold or do I need the DA*s? Or are the DA*s able to take cold temperatures other than being sealed against moisture? Say in sub-zero temperatures? Thanks.

Shouldn't be any problem. I've used my previous Pentax dSLR cameras in minus zero temperature w/o any problem.

I think lenses are more or less okay w/ extreme temperatures, it's the camera the more ofter to have problem w/ extreme cold weathers.

I see. Thanks. Cos I heard of cases where the lens element drop out.

Agreed. Shouldn't be a problem. Don't really have to worry too much, just use it like usual.

Don't worry, during winter season the temperature on ground is still far above ZERO degree celcius. We'll need to be in Antarctica to experience sub-0 temperature. :D

must have missed this

no problem with kit lens even; don't worry about it.

just worry more about condensation and how to prevent it, it just stops you from taking pictures until it goes.. :)

I was shooting at -20 celcious in the last winter. Shot over 100 pictures for 2 over nights.

I was using K100d super that time. It seemed to work fine in cold dry conditions - Moisture may be different so make sure you keep it dry.

Take a spare well charged battery. Keep it in an inside pocket, or a warm as your body heat can keep it. Two spares are better if you can get a second. Cold really seems to kill the battery charge.

Try for gloves that enable you to manipulate the camera controls. Freezing fingers tend to be clumsy, but big gloves are cumbersome so give the matter some though before you arrive on site.

Taking you camera from warm to cold, or vice versa can cause condensation on the inner lens. Get a large zip lock bag for transferring from hot to cold or vice versa. The cold will cause the ziplock to sieze, so try for air tight seal.

yeap agree with night86mare. The condensation is the one that gets in the way all the time and there aren't any quick ways to get rid of it.

i had taken photos in -30 degrees celsius at harbin with kit lens without troubles at all

Status
Not open for further replies.