Winter Norway (and a little bit of Sweden)

nuts

Jan 21, 2002
www.roving-light.com
Made a backpacking trip to Norway in March this year, both to make my 2nd attempt at the Northern Lights, as well as to just travel the Arctic region again. My first attempt was in 2010, to the Finnish Lapland, as part of my extended long trip, and the previous thread is here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-city-scapes-travel/796272-winter-300km-above-arctic-circle-finland-lapland.html

Here's sharing some pics!

First stop, for most flying from SG, is Oslo. Though jetlagged, but still managed to walk around the city, and I have to say, it's a great city to walk in. Lots of arty installations and museums scattered around.

Just outside the Oslo Sentral station.
IMG_0842w.jpg

Pretty wall murals at a residential district.
IMG_0825w.jpg

It's a bird! It's a man! It's... just some art installation....
IMG_0839w.jpg

If you like these kind of stuff, you'll love Oslo as there's lots of it around!
IMG_0886w.jpg

Some unconventionally placed....
IMG_0996v2w.jpg

Some a little more quirky and perky... ;p
IMG_0998w.jpg

And of course, when you talk about art in Oslo, inevitably, 'The Scream' would come up. And a visit to see Edvard Munch's works would be in order.

IMG_3459w.jpg

Luckily the weather next day was alot better than before, which kinda made my mood better.... cos I will be flying up to the Arctic soon!

The Oslo waterfront
IMG_0920w.jpg

and the promenade really make for a nice walkabout
IMG_0948w.jpg

The winter sun and its shadows
IMG_0928w.jpg

Evening at Karl Johans gate, the main street of Oslo
IMG_1029w.jpg

Oslo @ Night
IMG_1038w.jpg

Next up.... Into the Arctic!

My flight up to Narvik, above the Arctic Circle, was a morning one. My journey into the Arctic has begun!

And perhaps, as a sign of the wonders to come, midway through the flight, I caught a phenomenon known as a Glory, or commonly known in Chinese as 'Buddha's Light'.

IMG_5057w.jpg

Soon after, as the plane broke through the clouds, the Arctic landscape showed itself!

IMG_5067w.jpg

IMG_5082w.jpg

And then I caught a glimpse of my destination : the Lofoten Islands!

IMG_5111w.jpg

IMG_5114w.jpg

IMG_5117w.jpg

As the plane begin to descend below the clouds, I then realized it was actually a grey cloudy day again.... and worse, when I reached Narvik, a snowstorm greeted me :(

IMG_5122w.jpg

IMG_5123w.jpg

Well, the reintroduction to Arctic weather didn't dampen my mood though. I love winterscapes, and before making my way to the Lofoten Islands, I decided to take the Arctic Circle Train to Abisko National Park in Sweden for a few days. The scenery along the train journey is supposedly stupendous, and I can't wait.

And it didn't disappoint! I was glued to the window most of the time......

IMG_1111w.jpg

IMG_1134w.jpg

IMG_1142w.jpg

I arrived in Abisko in the afternoon, and that very night, I went straight out to the nearby Torneträsk Lake. As mentioned before, this was my 2nd attempt and trip to catch the lights, and so there was sort of a particular pressure to see it. So I was really overjoyed when the Aurora showed itself! Although it was not the brightest or spectacular type, the fact that it was visually visible was a huge relief... and that prompted me to post this :

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-city-scapes-travel/1244734-my-first-sighting-aurora.html

IMG_1243w.jpg

And I have to say, lying on the frozen lake and looking at the display can be quite a joy! ;)

IMG_1257w.jpg

So, I stood and waited on the lake for more than 3hrs, and made the best of what I could, but well, the heavens decided this teaser is enough for me :(

great thread. more please!

The next day displayed some wonderful light, and even though with a lack of sleep, it's great walking about on a mountain on a good day

IMG_1189w.jpg

IMG_1276w.jpg

The frozen lake
IMG_1195w.jpg

Super long icicles in the sun
IMG_1181w.jpg

Dusk came, and there was beautiful magic hour light.

IMG_1326w.jpg

But this was not what I came for, and so I waited...

and waited....

and waited....

and the clouds won over my patience and I collapse back to bed at 2+am

My final day, and night, and the forecasts doesn't look so good. Most of the day was spent resting, and the weather wasn't great anyway.

IMG_1355w.jpg

Even as night descended, the clouds were still hovering. Well, strangely, I was somewhat "relax". I *had* seen the lights on the first day after all, and there is still Norway to go! So I'm sure I'll have more chances! With this positive thought in mind, I went out for a walk.

It was 10+pm before something appeared in the sky. A big smile swept across my face. I was just at the edge of a small ravine and even manage a little light painting.
IMG_1373w.jpg

But the weather is really grouchy with the clouds quickly sweeping over. It's frustrating know that the Aurora are hiding behind those clouds and there I was, freezing and hoping. It was almost 12midnight as I walk back towards the resort. And in the middle of my walk, the clouds cleared and lo and behold, a wonderful display is showing!
IMG_1364w.jpg

I was thrilled. This time, it was higher in the sky and more widespread.
IMG_1367w.jpg

I was back at the hotel area, but reluctant to retire. I was quite happy that I managed to see something stronger than the first day. But it's so addictive! But it's so cold! Having being out in the open for 3+hrs continuously, the cold is seeping into my bones. And when you least expect it, it came on.

The Aurora weaved across the sky like a snake, twisting and twirling. It spanned and moved from one end of the horizon to the other. It glowed with such beautiful intensity. It was like watching a timelapse movie, and I felt like I'm in a timelapse reality. It was absolutely surreal.

I was at a loss at how to capture it. In the army, I would be termed 'kanang kapo', as in a bewildered dunno-what-to-do state. In the end, I just stood to enjoy the view and the feeling. Well, it was really a dream come true.

IMG_1396w.jpg

IMG_1397w.jpg

IMG_1411w.jpg

niceee

So I left Abisko Sweden with a load off my back, and in a way, look forward to rest of my trip in Arctic Norway with less "pressure"! And finally, to one of my main destinations of my trip - the Lofoten Islands.

It was another day of winter wonderland sights. I had the same wonderful dose of the Arctic Circle train back to Narvik and from there, I took a bus to Svolvaer, the capital of the Lofoten islands. And boy, it's another crazy wonderful bus journey where one would stick to the window again.

IMG_1641w.jpg

IMG_1655w.jpg

IMG_1687w.jpg