Winter in Osaka / Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinoy

Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP East
www.flickr.com
I'm planning to take my wife and 11 year old daughter to Japan by mid-December this year. Bearing in mind our varying interests (shopping for wifey, theme park & J-Pop for daughter and photography for me), I've prepared my itinerary as follows:

na - Wednesday
* Depart for Tokyo at 23:45
Day 01 - Thursday
* Arrive in Tokyo at 07:15 (Narita)
* Hotel check in
* Ueno Park walkaround (Toshogu Shrine, Benten Temple)
Day 02 - Friday
* Hakone / Mt Fuji
Day 03 - Saturday
* Shibuya, Meiji Jingu Shrine
Day 04 - Sunday
* Shinjuku, Ginza, Akihabara
Day 05 - Monday
* Disneyland
Day 06 - Tuesday
* Disney Sea
Day 07 - Wednesday
* Hotel check out
* Travel to Osaka via Shinkansen (~3 hrs)
* Hotel check in
* Osaka Aquarium
Day 08 - Thursday
* Universal Studios
Day 09 - Friday
* Kyoto
Day 10 - Saturday
* Nara
Day 11 - Sunday
* Hotel check out
* Depart for SG at 11:00 (Kansai Intl Airport)
* Arrive in SG at 17:00

What do you guys think about the itinerary? Is there any "Must-Not-Miss" places for us? This will probably be our first and last trip to Japan so in a way, trying to make the most out of it.

For Day 4, I saw a tour organized by JTB - Hakone & Mt Fuji with return by Bullet Train - and it's damn pricey (at US$150?!). Was just wondering if it's worth the cost.

Japan-Guide is listing the weather as between 5 - 12 deg celcius. Just what type of "winter wear" should we get ourselves? Total noob haha. This will be our first encounter with non-Summer or non-Monsoon season. :bsmilie:

:Later,

Last edited:
Probably u might want to give Disney Sea the miss and free up another day for other things. Visit Disney main 1 is enuff. Disney Sea is much smaller. Its very expensive on the food inside, get some rations in lol.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm.. my daughter might kill me if I were to strike that off the list. :bsmilie: I heard that Disney Sea is unique.. being the only one of its kind in the world. Have seen a video feature of it as well and I thought it's interesting enough to visit.

Can we bring food in? :D

Disney seas is indeed unique. How can you stroke that off? :)

There might be a 2 day pass if my memory doesn't failed me. Oh ya, prepare to queue but it's a good experience.

1st time to disney for your precious?

I have to tell you, the amount of time you're allocating isn't a lot. Japan's sights require a lot of walking to experience. Plus, if it's really cold, some people might not be able to adapt.

So so so, ueno has ameyokocho - a bunch of shops underneath the railroad tracks, and there's a number of museums there. Don't forget to take a picture of rodin's statues.

Ginza, akiba and shinjuku are ok, but it really depends on what you want to get out of it. Knowing women, just running around one shopping mall is a major time wastage event, and these places are major time sinks. I would give shinjuku a miss though, and instead head over to roppongi hills for their museums, or harajuku for their more interesting side stores. If you're up for a walk, explore harajuku and walk up omotesando hill, hit aoyama dori and turn right into shibuya. Ignore the bathing ape cafe, where poseurs sit to eat n drink substandard food. ;) The meiji shrine is actually closer to harajuku than shibuya.

I agree about forgetting disney sea. Try the ghibli museum. I got fuxored by the idiot lawson vending machines, but i think from here it's easier.

Osaka aquarium is a must! But try not to do it on a weekend. Get a special combined ticket pass from the tourist shop at the jr osaka station. USJ can be a let down. Most of the rides are motion controlled rides, so ymmv, but the kid might not like it, esp if anyone gets car sick easily. Then at night, go for the ultimate akira moment and head off to the umeda sky building after visiting yodobashi camera.

So in kyoto, try going up north to the ginkakuji shrine and doing the walk down the philospher's path. It's long, but nice. And check out the chawanzaka tea lane, that heads up to the kyomizudera shrine. Too bad the place is sometimes overrun by tourist and some of the shops taken over by prc. Sometimes, there will be bands trying to play songs along the walkway of the river.

Oh, it gets cold at night. For 12-15, just a light wool sweater or a light jacket is enough. The walking will make you sweat. Pad up with extra shirts if you feel cold. Or, thermals from uniqlo is great if you really cannot handle it.

Ya considering u have 3 amusement park on ur itinerary, u should consider cutting them down to either Disney, universal studios or Disney Sea, universal studios. 3 of the same..., after a while rides get boring. More or less the same you know.

Your package is theme park base isit?

I suggest for Universal Studios u MUST MUST get the PACKAGE ticket or the ADVANCE ticket. Else u can never finish the MAIN Attraction rides in one day due to Severe long queues!!!

REMEMBER TO pay for the more expensive tickets.. worth it.

I finish more rides in Universal Studio than in Disney world. I do not know if they have revamp their queue system, but when i was there.... takes forever for a ride in disney world. Depends on crowd condition. Usually its..... fill to the brim.

For japan electronic goods. go for their MADE IN JAPAN stuff.. not those made in china or thailand etc... LIKE SEIKO watch, CASIO etc etc.. they have some limited editions made in japan. consider them.

Camera stuff.. get their domestic market set like the GREY colour gears! 70-200vr grey. AT the same time ask them when the replacement set for that beast is going to be!!!! :p, FAKE OR real.. waiting forever for that replacement. Then kindly update us lol!

Lady shopping... blurberry or blue berry... dun know lol... limited editions.. pink or blue.. cant remember.. sure burnt big hole in wallet in japan!

Disney seas is indeed unique. How can you stroke that off? :)

There might be a 2 day pass if my memory doesn't failed me. Oh ya, prepare to queue but it's a good experience.
Yeah, we're taking the 2 days pass (which costs S$440+ for the 3 of us :mad2:)
1st time to disney for your precious?
This will be the 3rd. Twice in HK.:cool:

I have to tell you, the amount of time you're allocating isn't a lot. Japan's sights require a lot of walking to experience.
I'm aware of this. :( I actually had 2 choices before this:

- Stick to Tokyo and nearby areas (Nikko, Yokohama etc). This will be cheaper if going by fare alone (MAS is running a promo currently)
- Combo of Osaka and Tokyo

I decided to do the combo because of the lure of Universal Studios (daughter) and Kyoto (photography). I'm not really sure if it's worth going to (other than having this expectation that it's good), and in fact, I'm open to reconsider my plan (stick to 1st option instead). This is one reason why I decided to post my plan here.. to get feedback and help me decide ASAP which way to go.

Last edited:
Ya considering u have 3 amusement park on ur itinerary, u should consider cutting them down to either Disney, universal studios or Disney Sea, universal studios. 3 of the same..., after a while rides get boring. More or less the same you know.

Your package is theme park base isit?
Errrr.. not sure what you mean.. but this trip is Free & Easy.
I suggest for Universal Studios u MUST MUST get the PACKAGE ticket or the ADVANCE ticket. Else u can never finish the MAIN Attraction rides in one day due to Severe long queues!!!

REMEMBER TO pay for the more expensive tickets.. worth it.
Are you referring to the Booklet7 Universal Express Pass? I was thinking of just getting the 1 day studio pass.
For japan electronic goods. go for their MADE IN JAPAN stuff.. not those made in china or thailand etc... LIKE SEIKO watch, CASIO etc etc.. they have some limited editions made in japan. consider them.

Camera stuff.. get their domestic market set like the GREY colour gears! 70-200vr grey. AT the same time ask them when the replacement set for that beast is going to be!!!! :p, FAKE OR real.. waiting forever for that replacement. Then kindly update us lol!
Now that you mentioned it, I am actually hoping that Canon would be announcing a new cam (60D?)... cross fingers.

nice itenary but i wouldn't take MAS

everytime i'm in japan in hokkaido or tokyo it's very free

cos i have a house there, mainly just roaming around at akihabara visiting electronic shops

if you like to go hakone, there is a shuttle service by hotel most of the time.

if you can drive, you can also rent a car to hakone.

there is a entire shopping place where factory outlets are, all the branded stuff are there except for LV and chanel.

for more details, PM me and will tell you.

and btw to drive to hakone, it's really simple

cos the GPS is easy to use,

but you need to know how to get onto the expressways which is always the prob,

esp if you are staying somewhere near my house (roppongi) or ginza, shinbashi.

It's seems pretty packed... and looks like you plan to do alot of walking...

If you are going to Ueno.. might as well head to Asakusa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asakusa) (http://images.google.com.sg/images?...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4)

Perhaps add Odaiba (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html) venus fort... mega web .. stuff like that.

Harajuku is better for the kids I think.. (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3006.html)

Disneyland... well to me can skip (because it's all the same, hk, euro, Anaheim) but it's fun nevertheless... but go for Disneysea. The fake venetian makes for some nice photos on a sunny day.

Osaka Aquarium is nice but won't take the whole day... My friend's video that I edited (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBFoivjk30E) It's really nice but that's it.. nothing really around that area to do besides see fish.

When in Osaka ... don't forget to see Ebisu Bashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dōtonbori) (http://www.ebisubashi.or.jp/top.html)

Personally I prefer skiing in Hokkaido..

right,

it's gotemba.

if you're sick of gotemba, go to chelsea premium factory outlet!

Just realized that if I do SG -> Osaka -> Tokyo -> SG on SQ with the return on a B747 plane instead of A380, I'd get to save S$275.

Crazy...

Just realized that if I do SG -> Osaka -> Tokyo -> SG on SQ with the return on a B747 plane instead of A380, I'd get to save S$275.

Crazy...

try the A380 la, it's rather enjoyable

for a 7 hour flight, would u rather enjoy some extra legroom, comfy seats

or save the 285 dollars?

your choice:)

That's a damn packed itinerary, everything will be a big blur.

I went to Osaka and Kyoto for a week and that was not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.