Winter in Melbourne

anmas

Feb 8, 2006
Hi All,

I have some questions on Melbourne in Winter, hope any bro or sis here who have been there can give some views.

Is it cold in Melbourne during winter?
We plan to free and easy in June or July 2010, around 8 days in Melbourne and Victoria. Is it enough, or more days require to tour the city and its surrounds? I heard Great Ocean Road, Phillip Island and the mountains are nice, what do you think?
Is Melbourne a tourist friendly city, camera DSLR safe to bring around?
We plan to put aside S$3800 for 2 person during the entire tour (including air ticket, accomodation, meals etc), is it enough?
Any hotel or motel to recommend?

Thanks in advance:)

I live in Melbourne. It's cold, but not temperature cold. It's more windy cold. A windbreaker would help much better than multiple layers of sweaters. It also rains alot. Not real hard rain like Singapore, but just drizzles and light showers, pouring for a while, then stop, then pours again. A windbreaker with water proof hoodie would be good. Umbrella is useless, unless you want to fly like Marry Poppins.

If you shoot alot, I would suggest buying a thin gloves too. 8 days is enough. I suggest Falls Creek or Mount Hotham too. You can ski there as well.

Melbourne is quite friendly to photographers. Almost no thiefs as well. You'll see many people carrying dslr here. You might still want to ask permission if you want to shoot people though.

You can safe heaps alot if you don't mind staying in backpackers hotel. Plenty of those here.

Temperature is pretty unpredictable in Melbourne. You can wake up to 3 or 4 deg and at mid day, around 15 to 18 deg. In general, its not that cold to me as long as it doen't get too windy. I survived with polos with jacket or sweater over.

8 days is reasonable. Some frequently visited spots are as you mentioned, Great Ocean Road, Philip Island and the Dendenong Ranges. There are others though, like Sovereign Hill, Mt Buller, the vinyards and wineries, Puffing Billy, etc.

Do you intend to drive? Alternatively, you can sign up for a day tour to the popular tourists' destinations. There's a day tour centre along Swanston Street. http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/Melbourne-Day-Tour-Centre
Here's another one at Federation Sq.
http://www.melbournetours.com.au/about_us.html

Melbourne is relatively safe but don't let your guard down especially if you are alone or walking along the smaller(quieter) streets.

In general, you won't find it diffucult to navigate around Melbourne(the CBD, not greater Melbourne) since its relatively small and compact. There's a visitors' centre at Federation Sq if you need it. We usually get around by trams or just walk.

Can take a look here for accommodations(with prices)
http://www.bestof.com.au/vic/

There are good info here too...
http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/AboutMelbourne/CityMaps/Pages/MelbourneMaps.aspx

melbourne is by the sea so generally its a windy sort of cold not like a icy kind of cold.
i get by fine with a hoody or jumper, even just a tshirt at times.
8 days should be enough to fit in the great ocean road, all the tourist sites within melbourne and maybe a little into te dandenongs if thats what you mean by "mountains"

stay out of the western suburbs and your camera should be safe. haha
mind you though, what is there considered a "short drive" is what most singaporeans would refer to as a "roadtrip"

Melbourne to a Singaporean in June would be very cold. I lived there for 7 years after being raised in Sydney and still couldn't get used to it. Though June isnt as cold as winter gets. The southerly winds blowing up from Bass Strait are what really can compact the cold.
8 days should be more than enough to see alot of places, though be mindful a drive to Phillip Island is 3 hours + and the same sort of time frame for the Great Ocean Road. Melbourne is relatively safe, but i would still be very cautious, particularly in places away from crowds, or even some of the inner suburbs streets. Keep in mind it is very expensive when compared to Singapore the price of traveling around and eating.

Thanks to all who have given their views, really appreciate it :)

As the planned trip is still like 6-7 months from now, will probably start preparing and finalising in April 2010. Feel free to share your experiences, and any more views from forummers here will be appreciated :cool:

The coldest in winter is prob about -5 at the southern part and near the coast/mountain regions. If possible, i will strongly discourage you from going Melbourne during winter time as you will face with cold weather, dull grey sky etc.

Best time to visit should be around Sep/Oct when the air is cool and the flowers are blooming.

The coldest in winter is prob about -5 at the southern part and near the coast/mountain regions. If possible, i will strongly discourage you from going Melbourne during winter time as you will face with cold weather, dull grey sky etc.

Best time to visit should be around Sep/Oct when the air is cool and the flowers are blooming.

Oops, I thought some forummers said Melbourne winter not as cold :confused:

What kind of clothing do you suggest? Thanks.

I was there for a holiday a few years ago, very unpredictable weather, one minute it rained, windy and sunshine in a morning.

You can take the skybus from Melbourne airport to your city hotel.

http://www.skybus.com.au/

If you're shopping at Smith Street try the baklava and kebab at Efes kebab.

2685818558_1657b7cdd3.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtemujin/sets/72157602040823918/

Last edited:
Unless you want to go skiing, else better you go during Spring or Autumn. At least the "Day" will be longer. During winter, 5+pm will be like SG 8pm dark dark already.

i agree with the many here that Melbourne is very unpredictable in Winter. Esp last year where the winter seemed alot colder and longer than previous. I would be expecting this year to be similar (i'm dreading it since i'll be there for another 2 years). Therefore, best to visit is during autumn or spring. Also, some activities (eg. strawberry picking) are not available during winter, hence u might miss out on chances to visit certain areas.

However, if u really must go during winter, bring warm clothings, scarfs and waterproof jackets to block out the wind and rain. Just my 2 cents.

Like what most of the CS mentioned, it's 4 seasons in a day with Melbourne. Having stayed there for 7 years previously I still complain on the freaking weather when I was back for 10 days just last mth & it's summer time. One day it's 37deg at MCG, the following day it's 11deg at Great Ocean Rd;(

Jun/Jul will be 1st half of winter so U may or may not get to see much snow in the mountains yet depending on your luck. maybe on Mt Buller but it's a 4-5 hrs drive up. Wind chill is the killer and sometime early morning you get frost when the temp can get to as low as 0-5deg. I'd bring thermal wear but sometimes it can get too hot wearing them:sweat:.

As mentioned by another CS, the day are very short during winter so best to get up very early(I know it's cold) as usually the weather it's better in the morning and changes for the worst in the afternoon. Also be aware & look out for hails as big as pebbles so always be prepared. Always good to check the weather forecast as they are so accurate wish they have the same formula for 4d:bsmilie: I always refer to this very informative weather site here

Lastly do bring a rain sleeve for your cam cos you do not want to bath ur cam, right. If you do go there, try the Pho beef noodles at any Vietnamese outlet in Springvale or Richmond. They are fantastic:thumbsup:Yum yum

Enjoy your trip:devil:

Last edited:
Thanks blinkx, DrSpock and all who have given their advices :)

It seems that Melbourne can be quite cold during winter, but it's ok I hope. Have somewhat confirme the trip will be in either June or July, so.. hope to enjoy the cold weather then. Will bring some warm clothings, such as jackets and sweaters, and probably scarf and gloves for my girlfriend, hope that's enough.

By the way, and bros or sis here can suggest any good chinese restaurant around Melbourne? In case we miss asian food so much ;)

I've also heard the pizzas in Melbourne are nice and prices more affordable than Singapore. Is it true? Any good pizzas to recommend?

Thanks again. :)

I went there for 10 days travelling around Melbourne and Victoria.
It wasn't enough for me.. I couldn't even cover the city area due to the insufficient amount of time. And we even rented a car over there. The last time we went there, we spent $2000 each, excluding accomodation. Personally to me, the accomodation there is pretty steep for a not so good hotel or apartment. You might want to do a research first and plan. Otherwise, there might not be enough time for you to cover major places or worst, not enough money.. :)

anmas: the good pizzas are usually in Lygon street which is about 15mins tram ride from the city depending on the time of travelling. However, do note, Lygon houses many restaurants that are pretty expensive. If you like to have dim sum, try Shark Fin's house in Chinatown. Please remember to make booking if you are going otherwise be prepared to wait for hours. One other advice, try fast food outlets such as Nandos, Grill'd and Oportos (really good and cheap for a quick lunch/dinner).

By the way, and bros or sis here can suggest any good chinese restaurant around Melbourne? In case we miss asian food so much ;)

I've also heard the pizzas in Melbourne are nice and prices more affordable than Singapore. Is it true? Any good pizzas to recommend?

The best pizza is from where I used to bake & sell pizza in a little take away shop called 'Red Spot Pizza' located along St. Kilda Rd. It's best cos I can make my own base, add as much tomato base & cheese I want & topped with any ingredients I like until it looked like Bt Timah Hill. But I'm not there anymore so...

My personal preference is 'La Porchetta' located in numerous surburbs as can be found here but there are many others where you can explore here2 & here3

If you like pasta, the best in town is SOFIA Restaurant located here4 where the portions is HUGH & yummy.

As for Chinese food I think Singapore is still better so that's why I recommended Pho earlier

Last edited:
Thanks blinkx, DrSpock and all who have given their advices :)

It seems that Melbourne can be quite cold during winter, but it's ok I hope. Have somewhat confirme the trip will be in either June or July, so.. hope to enjoy the cold weather then. Will bring some warm clothings, such as jackets and sweaters, and probably scarf and gloves for my girlfriend, hope that's enough.

Hi anmas. I was in melbourne last december. It was surprisingly chilly at times in summer. cos of the wind. the 12 apostles are especially windy. and penguin parade at philip island can be cold too.

but good thing for you is that airfare to melbourne is cheap in winter. emirates should be having offer now i think. mine cost about 1100 for summer by qantas cos i booked quite late. :(

melbourne is a nice place. the great ocean road is beautiful . try to stay at least 1 night on one of the towns along the great ocean road. self-drive would be even better. i rented a car from hertz, no problem with directions cos all the signages are very clear.

for chinese food, there are a couple of restaurants in chinatown. not too bad but definitely more ex than singapore. but the portions are bigger too.

my 2 cents worth
cheers

Thanks Cashmere, shawn207 and all for sharing your Melbourne experience. It's nice to hear from many that Melbourne is a nice place to visit. Great Ocean Road, Phillip Island, Grampian, Mt Buller are the few places we plan to visit while in Melbourne.

A little bit different here.. besides the 'must' visit places, any not-worth to visit places in Melbourne and Victoria from the bros and sis here? ;)

wah this is kinda hard.

coz everything is different from sg, so everything is worth seeing. hahaa. i love exploring their suburb and their neighbourhood. especially the backalley!! LOL!

Melb is a tourist friendly city. u can juz pop into their svc centre and u can book any trips liao. i spend around AUD1500 per pax during my 10day stay there.

do bring some entertainment along, can get abit bored while travelling.

just my 2cents worth.;)

wah this is kinda hard.

coz everything is different from sg, so everything is worth seeing. hahaa. i love exploring their suburb and their neighbourhood. especially the backalley!! LOL!

Melb is a tourist friendly city. u can juz pop into their svc centre and u can book any trips liao. i spend around AUD1500 per pax during my 10day stay there.

do bring some entertainment along, can get abit bored while travelling.

just my 2cents worth.;)
Hi KT1031, AUD1500 per pax for 10 days looks good, how you manage to control cost? I thought Melbourne is an expensive city to visit? AUD1500 includes everything, from accomodation, food, transport etc? :cool: