Winter Footwear

Status
Not open for further replies.

RtOaNn

Mar 3, 2004
Hougang
www.flickr.com
Hey guys,going korea in dec so wanna know if there's a need to buy any particular shoes while walking on snow..
Will be going Mt Sorak for skiing...

Are normal sneakers alright?

Normal sneakers are ok. But watch ur step on pavements. U're technically walking on ice.

RtOaNn said:
Hey guys,going korea in dec so wanna know if there's a need to buy any particular shoes while walking on snow..
Will be going Mt Sorak for skiing...

Are normal sneakers alright?
Sneakers may not be waterproof. Furthermore, water entering the shoes can be very cold to the feet and remain wet thoroughout (very difficult to dry). And lastly, sneakers on ice is very slipperly. It's beneficial for you if you buy a waterproof hiking shoes. Eg of good quality brands are HiTEC, Cloumbia, Timberland etc.

Timberland is :thumbsup:

i wore sneakers there and it was fine.... basically try a shoe with a good grip and is supposedly waterproof ok....

Hi-Tec, Nikko, Caterpillar, etc hav rugged walkabout shoes 4 such purpose.

i got Nikko & Hi-Tec (kevla 1 :lovegrin: )! each pair under $130. Nikko (sounds like chio-bu name-Nicole :lovegrin: ) has been w/ me for more than 2yrs of regular use... :thumbsup:

Timberland and Caterpillar:thumbsup:

1 Get waterproof shoes. As mentioned, snow will melt and the water will really torture your feet

2 I do not do skiing. But snow/ice are very notorius for slipping. Even my usual gore-tex "high tech" trekking boots did not protect me from falling. I had to strap ice spikes on my boots to get good grip.

Columbia :thumbsup: , a cheaper alternative to Timberland and Caterpillar, quite popular in US.

Get from Sportslink in Queensway.

http://www.columbia.com/

drop by either, Queensway Shopping Centre or Peninsula for those :thumbsup: :thumbsup: shoes. dun jus go for brands, c wad makes them :thumbsup: !

2 me its d comfort, deep grooves 4 grip, durable sole, features (like- waterproofing, ultra lightweight, etc). some gd 1s is abt $130, premium 1s can cost up to $400+!:bigeyes:

exhibitj said:
Good thread!
Any budget models for those kind of shoes? Timberland:thumbsup: but vv ex!

auntie at Peninsula Plaza offer $160 or less on Hi-Tec brand waterproof leather ver, diff design diff price...

student said:
1 Get waterproof shoes. As mentioned, snow will melt and the water will really torture your feet

2 I do not do skiing. But snow/ice are very notorius for slipping. Even my usual gore-tex "high tech" trekking boots did not protect me from falling. I had to strap ice spikes on my boots to get good grip.

gore-tex was nv meant 2 do tt... :sweat:

Sigh... SAF Gortex Boots.

They kick ssss, light & waterproof.

The last ICT, whilst on a march back to the rendezvous point, we ran into a torrential rain. Everyone's socks were soaked to the toes, we are all thoroughly soaked to the skin, except *ahem* my gortex boots & socks. Snug & dry ;p

sORe-EyEz said:
gore-tex was nv meant 2 do tt... :sweat:

Gore tex can be made water proofed. My feet sank into the snow up to mid lower leg. (was wearing water proofed "over-trousers". The water did not seep in. Of course dedicated snow boots will be better. But they are not the usual caterpiller or timberland.

But the otherwise excellent grip for trekking on rocky/watery areas was simply not good enough for walking on frozen snow.

jsbn said:
Sigh... SAF Gortex Boots.

They kick ssss, light & waterproof.

The last ICT, whilst on a march back to the rendezvous point, we ran into a torrential rain. Everyone's socks were soaked to the toes, we are all thoroughly soaked to the skin, except *ahem* my gortex boots & socks. Snug & dry ;p

Goretex waterproof on outside, but whenever it rains heavily, and my slacks get soaked, the wetness then seeps into my socks (since the slack and the socks are in contact) and travels all the way inside the boots! really hate that outfield. Can tahan the mosquitoes and combat rations, but cannot take wet feets!

:(

student said:
Gore tex can be made water proofed. My feet sank into the snow up to mid lower leg. (was wearing water proofed "over-trousers". The water did not seep in. Of course dedicated snow boots will be better. But they are not the usual caterpiller or timberland.

But the otherwise excellent grip for trekking on rocky/watery areas was simply not good enough for walking on frozen snow.

lolz, Gore-tex is d fabric part of d boots, not d outsole at d bottom of d boots tt contact d ground. :faint:

i nv seen or heard any boots w/ Gore-tec outsole.

d reason Gore-tex was used is b-cos they're equally or as tough as leather, but lighter & does not b-come brittle like prev SAF boots (dun need 2 long time 2 season). somehow Cordura fabrics did not fit d bill.

exhibitj said:
Good thread!
Any budget models for those kind of shoes? Timberland:thumbsup: but vv ex!

There a shoe shop beside Penisular Plaza, near Grammy Phone. Their shoes r cheap man, lots of variety to choose frm.

Status
Not open for further replies.