Winter Clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

exhibitj

Sep 25, 2005
Singapore NE
www.flickr.com
Going to Korea during Christmas for shoot. Anyone have any ideas where to get cheap and nice jackets/winter clothings?

Been to the WinterTime in Suntec and Hougang, desgns quite plain and still so ex. The designs at Winning in Queenstown are abit 'cheena' and old. Anyone have any reccomendations from experience?

Many thanks!

I saw John Little (Orchard) having a sale on their winter clothes yest. Look pretty cheap

I bought one last time....a no brand jacket from those shops selling winter jacket and it looks terrible.....after that went Hong Kong and bought a Polo Jeans Co jacket at slightly over $200 and it looks great and very warm...so I think better to get a good one which can use for a long tiem and doesnt go out of fashion...can use for future trips...

i think go get one simple and cheap one here..

then go over korea buy.. design should be different from here..

nicer and when u come back here, it become IMPORTED STUFF...:bsmilie:

there should be more and better and nicer ones..

k3nn3th03 said:

How about Cold Wear? They have some AEO (American Eagle Outfitters) stuff that are quite good.

I personally like to go paragon since company reimburse my winter expenses.
There's a travel shop I patron (Can't remember the name) at level 3.

k3nn3th03 said:

Yup...or you can try to borrow from a frd...then go there and buy? Since its winter there should have a lot of choices and prices should be more competitive...

Buy in Korea. Very cheap and good. Prices less than half what they are here. There's one outdoor market (Daejamun or something like that) that will more than serve your needs. You can travel light too, at least on the way there.

StreetShooter said:
Buy in Korea. Very cheap and good. Prices less than half what they are here. There's one outdoor market (Daejamun or something like that) that will more than serve your needs. You can travel light too, at least on the way there.

I second that.
First time we went to Korea we end up looking like Singaporean tour-group tourists... fugly huge jackets. Everyone was laughing at us.

Next few times we went, we learned to take a few warm clothes, then shop to our hearts' content at the markets and dept stores (even the lelong ones by the roadside were better than what you buy in SG by 5x and cheaper by 5x!)..

Have fun in Korea! Which part of korea you going to? If in the city, no need to be too warm. It's only Dec, not cold yet.

please remember to bring a water-proof pants if u going skiing...

:thumbsup:

skinnylatte said:
I second that.
First time we went to Korea we end up looking like Singaporean tour-group tourists... fugly huge jackets. Everyone was laughing at us.

Next few times we went, we learned to take a few warm clothes, then shop to our hearts' content at the markets and dept stores (even the lelong ones by the roadside were better than what you buy in SG by 5x and cheaper by 5x!)..

Have fun in Korea! Which part of korea you going to? If in the city, no need to be too warm. It's only Dec, not cold yet.

Thanks skinnylatte and all!
From the response, i guess that i shld be getting my winter wear there!

I'll be going to Seoul and Jeju, then to some ski-resort. I heard from my friends that it's vv cold in the city (Seoul) during the Christmas period, average high ard 1~2 deg. Would a normal jacket over 2 layers of clothes suffice?

Oh, and i'll be heading to Jeju once i arrive at Incheon, so are there good shopping areas for winter clothes in Jeju?

1st time to Korea!~:D

Hmm... I thought Winter Times at Suntec got a nice selection? I thought their designs are anything but plain. :)

jsbn said:
Hmm... I thought Winter Times at Suntec got a nice selection? I thought their designs are anything but plain. :)

To us, it's anything but plain.. but you don't want to wear winter times clothing to seoul when you see the average korean ajumma (auntie) and ah-mah more fashionable than you.. i kid you not!

Haha.

exhibitj: Jeju shopping not as good, you might get the same stuff as seoul but buying things on islands always more ex than buying them in the capital.. Jeju is quite chilly, so if you're going there straight, then beg steal borrow and cover yourself up with enough clothes. =) Jeju is beautiful though! I like Sunrise park.. The traditional houses and stone structures make good photo ops. wish i was into photography when I went there (i was 15 then!)..

1-2 deg is ok, doable.. for me at least I wear a normal jacket (that i wear to school) over thermal (thin one) and turtleneck.. still okay. But then again I like cold. =)

jsbn said:

To us, it's anything but plain.. but you don't want to wear winter times clothing to seoul when you see the average korean ajumma (auntie) and ah-mah more fashionable than you.. i kid you not!

Haha.

exhibitj: Jeju shopping not as good, you might get the same stuff as seoul but buying things on islands always more ex than buying them in the capital.. Jeju is quite chilly, so if you're going there straight, then beg steal borrow and cover yourself up with enough clothes. =) Jeju is beautiful though! I like Sunrise park.. The traditional houses and stone structures make good photo ops. wish i was into photography when I went there (i was 15 then!)..

1-2 deg is ok, doable.. for me at least I wear a normal jacket (that i wear to school) over thermal (thin one) and turtleneck.. still okay. But then again I like cold. =)

Think you can invest in /borrow one really good outwear.. a very warm jacket/trench coat or something. We always do that.. of course you end up wearing the same jacket everyday but it's okay cos once you get indoors you take it off.

skinnylatte said:

You know the chinese phrase YI SHI ZU XING.........the Koreans placed YI as priority and SHI as last so their dressing are VERY VERY fashionable. Those auntie also wear nice leather jackets or trenchcoats...very very stylo...taxi drivers wear coats when they go out...

Go there and buy can't go wrong...

boroangel said:
You know the chinese phrase YI SHI ZU XING.........the Koreans placed YI as priority and SHI as last so their dressing are VERY VERY fashionable. Those auntie also wear nice leather jackets or trenchcoats...very very stylo...taxi drivers wear coats when they go out...

Go there and buy can't go wrong...

Yah man they're super stylo.. my uncle married a Korean. When my cousin was two, his maternal grandmother took him out for a day.. he came back with GREEN hair and baby clothes that made him look like a hipsta (but bought from the market!)..

I miss Korea!

skinnylatte said:
Yah man they're super stylo.. my uncle married a Korean. When my cousin was two, his maternal grandmother took him out for a day.. he came back with GREEN hair and baby clothes that made him look like a hipsta (but bought from the market!)..

I miss Korea!

Last time I was at a ski resort there then got 2 aunties (around 50+) sitting at the Mac there and eat...warau their brown leather trenchcoat....then machiam like superstar yet not out of place...bery bery nice...

Sianz manz...was supposed to go F&E to Korea and then do driving trip in Jeju but because of budget have to go China...must be so shiok driving along the coast on Jeju and stopping at your own time to take photos...:cool:

Threadstarter, do post pics of Jeju next time...cant find them in here...

hi.
december in seoul is quite cold. brrr...
i am from korea and that's part of reason why i am in singapore now:)

as everyone suggested, it would be better to get winter clothes there.
dongdaemoon market is good. it's open basically all day & nite
- retail during day, wholesale at nite.
but it's crazy place and you would have to bargain, bargain.

another place you could try is 'express bus terminal' subway stop underground arcade.
it's a long long stretch of small shops(almost long as orchard road)
and you can find good bargains there.
at the far end of stretch, there are few shops that sells US labels like 'gap' 'abercrombie&fitch' for $1, $3 or $5. think they are factory over-runs and slight irregulars but quite good. just have to dig thru piles of clothes among so many fiesty aunties... pure exercise.

best bet is to buy pait of long-johns you can wear inside rather than getting bulki coat you will never wear again. Cold weather in Korea is not feeling cold outside of your body but rather it creeps inside your body... strange it might seems.

have good time in korea and let me know if you need any help on where you want to visit aside from touristy area. there are many places in seoul that are not just concretes and shopping!

k3nn3th03 said:
please remember to bring a water-proof pants if u going skiing...

:thumbsup:
Dun bother... you could always rent ski outfits from ski rental shops... take the gloves and googles too..

DId you try that "Yue Hwa" store in chinatown? Not sure if you can get some good bargains there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.