Windows XP help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XXX Boy

Jan 11, 2004
GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
Once I installed Windows XP (without service pack 2), it is okie. But once I logged on to the internet, it straight away kena virus that countdown and restart itself. :cry:
Advice from any expert here, pls help...

Thanks!

XXX Boy said:
Once I installed Windows XP (without service pack 2), it is okie. But once I logged on to the internet, it straight away kena virus that countdown and restart itself. :cry:

Thanks!

I hit the same stuff b4. What I did to get it right was, install XP, SP1 then SP2. Then installed antivirus ... before finally going online. Then everything is fine.

renegade said:
I hit the same stuff b4. What I did to get it right was, install XP, SP1 then SP2. Then installed antivirus ... before finally going online. Then everything is fine.

Thanks for the super-fast reply! Where to get SP2???

click Start/Run
Type "shutdown -a" ENTER while the message about shutting down is on the screen.
This will disable the shutdown thing.
Then go to symantec and download the blaster/sasser worm patch, as well as updates from microsoft.

Caussway said:
And............ Don't go to XXX sites :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I did not! When I told my gf that I kena virus while logging on to the net, she also say the same thing 'Don't go to XXX sites!'.
Sad lo...the truth is that I just log on to the net in decent sites (for a decent guy like me) like Clubsnap and I also kena virus lo..life is just too unfair!!! :dunno:
BTW, anywhere to get the SP2 on shops on anything??

XXX Boy said:
I did not! When I told my gf that I kena virus while logging on to the net, she also say the same thing 'Don't go to XXX sites!'.
Sad lo...the truth is that I just log on to the net in decent sites (for a decent guy like me) like Clubsnap and I also kena virus lo..life is just too unfair!!! :dunno:
that virus is still spreading like mad, it searches for every PC on the net and very fast your PC will get infected.

I once saw in simlim sq, microsoft was giving free copies of SP2, now maybe need $$$ i have no idea. you can use microsoft update to download a quick update version.

XXX Boy said:

u can download the SP2 from the 'net. just google a 'XP SP2 download' and get it from the microsoft website.

XXX Boy said:

Thanks!

blaster virus? Exploit in RPC

google for "blaster worm" and you'll find out more details about it.

I had problem with Service Pack 2 also. PC was running ok, but when installed SP2, after reboot, system crawled. All applications loaded very slow.

Called Dell and they advised me to uninstall SP2 from the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs.

Did that, reboot and everything was back to normal.

This may be a little different from your problem as I did not seem to get any virus infection in the PC.

Do you have other partitions such as D: or E: etc? If you have files in those, they might also be infected, depending on which virus you kena. Safest way is to boot up from a floppy disk or cd containing the antivirus software and scan the entire hard disk. Be prepared to spend some hours if you have loads of files.

But if you only have C:, then just format and reinstall and it should be ok. Remember to download the latest antivirus update too from your antivirus software website. Also read the instructions on the site on how to remove the particular virus, turn off system restore etc.

should be blasterworm. the entire internet network is crawling with these infections... :sweat: anti-virus softwares have become a definite yes yes for all consumer systems. next time, make sure all ur firewall and anti-virus systems are all fully up and functional before making an access to the internet....

XXX Boy said:

with a nick like that sure got people say that mah :sweatsm: :sweatsm: :sweatsm:

madmacs said:
with a nick like that sure got people say that mah :sweatsm: :sweatsm: :sweatsm:

You can't judge a book by its cover!!! ;p

XXX Boy said:
You can't judge a book by its cover!!! ;p

LOL, but serously your nick sure stinks (more than a pig :bsmilie: )

BTW, your PC surely kenna virus liao. In the worse case, you may have to format your PC and re-install window.

i know the feeling. i got it also while repairing my bro pc.

install xp, install xp sp1, install mac afee anti-virus from fresh format.
connect to internet to dl the latest anti virus definition.
before the anti virus is downloaded completed, pc infected with blaster worm already.

If your network is crawling with worms, antivirus software is of no use. You need a good firewall like sygate etc. My windoze machines are horribly out of date and unpatched but with proper security precautions I have never had a single worm or virus attack yet. I don't even run antivirus sw on most machines here.

Status
Not open for further replies.