Windows Vista crashed after automatic updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

spindoctor

Oct 19, 2004
OK heres what happened:

Last night, my Vista automatically downloaded an update and installed it. The update was Service Pack 1. It prompted me to reboot but I continued surfing the net and later just shut down the computer before I went to sleep. Before it shut down, it completed the installation (there was a message on the screen saying "Windows is updating your computer. Dont shut down").

This morning when I switched on my computer, Windows refused to start. It recommended inserting the Windows installation disk and re-starting and then choosing Repair Windows option. I did that and selected the repair startup option first but Vista still refused to boot. I then selected the recover system from a previous point (i.e. from before the update) and that didnt work either.

My system is only a year old so I dont think its a hardware problem and yes my Vista is a genuine copy.

Anyone can offer any help? Anyone else experienced this?

Best solution is don't use Vista.:thumbsd:

Go with XP Professional SP3.....:thumbsup:

Seriously that is the best solution I can come up with.

I had billions (ok maybe a million and one....) problems when somebody gave me 1 original copy of Vista Premium and Ultimate. Tried both and both had different problems.......especially after the SP1 updates.

Was thinking of switching back to XP 32bit but decided to upgrade to XP 64bit as it's much stable and more secure as I am running a workstation.

Best solution is don't use Vista.:thumbsd:

Go with XP Professional SP3.....:thumbsup:

Seriously that is the best solution I can come up with.

I had billions (ok maybe a million and one....) problems when somebody gave me 1 original copy of Vista Premium and Ultimate. Tried both and both had different problems.......especially after the SP1 updates.

Was thinking of switching back to XP 32bit but decided to upgrade to XP 64bit as it's much stable and more secure as I am running a workstation.

yes, agreed! I didn't use Vista and have been smiling ever since using a Mac. :lovegrin:

yes, agreed! I didn't use Vista and have been smiling ever since using a Mac. :lovegrin:

Switching to a Mac now is not really an option because my system is just a year old and its too early to change. I blew more than 2K on it so there has not been much ROI. Perhaps my next compter.

But back to my problem. Any suggestions?

try googling for solutions, i'm using vista, not on SP1 yet...not v scared to have the update.

Switching to a Mac now is not really an option because my system is just a year old and its too early to change. I blew more than 2K on it so there has not been much ROI. Perhaps my next compter.

But back to my problem. Any suggestions?
Then your best bet is to install Windows XP home or pro.......

HS

Windows XP :thumbsup:

OK heres what happened:

Last night, my Vista automatically downloaded an update and installed it. The update was Service Pack 1. It prompted me to reboot but I continued surfing the net and later just shut down the computer before I went to sleep. Before it shut down, it completed the installation (there was a message on the screen saying "Windows is updating your computer. Dont shut down").

This morning when I switched on my computer, Windows refused to start. It recommended inserting the Windows installation disk and re-starting and then choosing Repair Windows option. I did that and selected the repair startup option first but Vista still refused to boot. I then selected the recover system from a previous point (i.e. from before the update) and that didnt work either.

My system is only a year old so I dont think its a hardware problem and yes my Vista is a genuine copy.

Anyone can offer any help? Anyone else experienced this?

You can always reinstall your Vista fresh...you should have the recovery CD and OS :thumbsup:

I am hoping to avoid that because there is only 1 partition on my HD (Sim Lim shop didnt split my HD even though I told them to). But worse come to the worse thats what I will have to do. Of course I will have to buy another HD and backup first.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9063479

You might have to re-install from scratch. (And this time, don't update to SP1.)

Read the last sentence of the article: "That will change in mid-March when SP1 is set to land on Windows Update as an optional update, and again in mid-April when Microsoft said it would start installing SP1 automatically on most PCs running Vista."

Thats exactly what happened in my case. It AUTOMATICALLY installed SP1. If I were to re-install and SP1 automatically installs itself again, then its back to square one! Perhaps its better to switch to XP (in other words buy another $licence$) or junk Micro$oft totally and switch to Mac or Linux.

Read the last sentence of the article: "That will change in mid-March when SP1 is set to land on Windows Update as an optional update, and again in mid-April when Microsoft said it would start installing SP1 automatically on most PCs running Vista."

Thats exactly what happened in my case. It AUTOMATICALLY installed SP1. If I were to re-install and SP1 automatically installs itself again, then its back to square one! Perhaps its better to switch to XP (in other words buy another $licence$) or junk Micro$oft totally and switch to Mac or Linux.

You might be able to call up Microsoft to exchange your Vista for a XP license key. Tell them you got compatibility issue, it's FOC.

go call microsoft and screw them upside down until they give u 10 new computers with all xp properly installed and functional :thumbsup:

go call microsoft and screw them upside down until they give u 10 new computers with all xp properly installed and functional :thumbsup:

Actually I have just called up MS but they wanted the product code blah blah blah. ;( Told them its at home and will call them later.

Actually I have just called up MS but they wanted the product code blah blah blah. ;( Told them its at home and will call them later.

just give them a hella time, frankly, we spent so much on their windows we dun expect it to turn out junkie...we expect it to perform flawlessly not give us more headaches

You might be able to call up Microsoft to exchange your Vista for a XP license key. Tell them you got compatibility issue, it's FOC.

Haha. Just called MS up and asked them:

Me: If the problem cannot be satisfactorily resolved, can I exchange my Vista license for a XP license?

MS: No, you have to buy another license for XP.

Never seriously thought they would say yes anyway.....if they can get more money from you why not? ;)

Looks like my next computer will be a Mac.

Me: If the problem cannot be satisfactorily resolved, can I exchange my Vista license for a XP license?

Never seriously thought they would say yes anyway.....if they can get more money from you why not? ;)

Not true, FYI I have many new PCs (about 100) in my office....all downgraded to XP because our software will not work in Vista.

1. You should threatern them why they double std, you will go to newspaper to criticise they are selling you a lemon :think:

2. Or you can sound like a corporate customer says your million dolar trading software cannot run on Vista and you need XP but they do not selling anymore. You pay for genuine s/w and yet they wouldn't sell you :lovegrin:

I think you were not firm enough. Just keep using the F word......they will give in. Call them everyday......until they get fed up.

HOW CAN YOU USE A PRODUCT THAT DOES NOT WORK AT ALL????????

You have keep on insisting that VISTA Farking sucks big time.........:thumbsd::thumbsd:

haiz.... why is it that every single time someone mentions problems with vista, everyone starts flaming "mac is better, xp better, vista sucks!!"? i thought last time it was pretty hip to proclaim loudly "win98 rules and xp sucks" in every OS conversation?

so, let's just try to help TS. First, can you give more infomation of what you see? when you say cannot start, any particular error messages like "missing file" or "cannot mount partition" etcetc etc or really totally blnk screen with no logo, no words, no bios info?

btw, i just updated my vista not too long ago. totally no probs. sometimes dun quite get why people hate vista so much when my whole family is using it quite smoothly:sweat:. but i do agree in an office network, upgrading to vista might cause some(or many) issues to surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.