Windows Longhorn and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsbn said:
*ahem* u sure? :D

heheh quite sure.... I still running Win98 SE on a 4 systems network in my office which not only have internet access but powers our accounting software. Plus 3 itchy ladies who can't live without internet and MSN while at work. Many spyware and spamware just did not trigger when I detected them in emails even when I open them. But do that on my XPs...that's a difference story. I got some confirmation from some security sites too that confirm this to be true. I hate to jinx myself *touch wood*but without show off...I have not had a virus attack or viral related crash on all my 98SE PCs in the office for the last 5 yrs or more. One or two spamware every now and again...but nothing to ever disrupt the entire network.

But of course I am not saying 100% of the time it will not happen. But...less lah if you take the necessary precaution and updates...as you would a XP. Actually I like virus and spwares hehe ....there was a time I actually setup a PC just to trigger virus and even learn to write virus and experiment with those IRC virus...ah..those were the days....you find ways to send IRC trouble maker IRC bombs, ping the hell out of his ISP connection..etc...

Pro Image said:
hmmm....tried the beta of longhorn on the HP Laptop this afternoon......seems quite stable. don't really need a powerful video card but needs at least a 1GB RAM....

yeah it's a sort of the copycat of OSX10.0 sad though but i guess they are heading towards.

haha... thats the first time i heard of that..... i come in contact with longhorn daily.... so far none of the testers have anything good to say about it..... BTW which hp laptop you tested longhorn with har? :bsmilie:

tao said:
:bsmilie: powerful? now, that is something new... what I read is that it needs dual processor and a powerful video card to achieve same speed as the current windows using a slow machine.... and it looks more like copycat of OSX10.0 which came out many years ago. :bsmilie:

well thats ok, cos that is exactly what i have! bring on vista! :bsmilie:

idor said:
haha... thats the first time i heard of that..... i come in contact with longhorn daily.... so far none of the testers have anything good to say about it..... BTW which hp laptop you tested longhorn with har? :bsmilie:
Maybe for eye candy lovers I'd say.

Anyway, besides eye candies of "wah, click here, click there very smooth, look very chio & nice" what else do normal users have to say abt an OS?

I bet most would say, "DOS is dead, the era of Command Line is long gone. GUI is the one & only way (when its the worst way) to go."

jsbn said:
Maybe for eye candy lovers I'd say.

Anyway, besides eye candies of "wah, click here, click there very smooth, look very chio & nice" what else do normal users have to say abt an OS?

I bet most would say, "DOS is dead, the era of Command Line is long gone. GUI is the one & only way (when its the worst way) to go."
Not true ... The next version of Longhorn server version still have command line and GUI.

that's the reason why mindef was still using win95 until the recent move to upgrade to a newer version of windows (dunno is it xp or :dunno: )

Ola said:
Not true ... The next version of Longhorn server version still have command line and GUI.
i was laughing myself silly when i saw in the topics of an advanced computer course.

"Using DOS commands"

Those were the only commands I had to start with back then..

Ola said:
Don't pray pray, the next version of the command line (codename Monad) is very powerful. You can see that even *nix people are impressed.

Please hold comments after reading about what Monad is.

yanyewkay said:
that's the reason why mindef was still using win95 until the recent move to upgrade to a newer version of windows (dunno is it xp or :dunno: )

They call that an Upgrade? There goes our National Security! :bsmilie:

Watcher said:
Don't pray pray, the next version of the command line (codename Monad) is very powerful. You can see that even *nix people are impressed.

Please hold comments after reading about what Monad is.

How much more powerful can a command line be? Comes with special GUI eye candy one izzit? Or with billions of different font colours? Don't anyhow sian people here lah... command line is command line and it is supposed to give one full access to the system, regardless of OS.

tao said:
How much more powerful can a command line be? Comes with special GUI eye candy one izzit? Or with billions of different font colours? Don't anyhow sian people here lah... command line is command line and it is supposed to give one full access to the system, regardless of OS.
Monad is a command line taps into the entire .Net framework. That means yes, Winforms, ADO.Net, threading, invoking COM objects, having security with assertion and roles, webservices, etc.

Giving access is one thing, controlling it and connecting to other resources to go beyond your box is another.

Ola said:
Fortunately.

But as usual, the usual bugz and so on.

But I guess in favour of eye-candy. Ppl will just say its 'powerful' and dat's just about it. :think:

yanyewkay said:
i was laughing myself silly when i saw in the topics of an advanced computer course.

"Using DOS commands"

Those were the only commands I had to start with back then..
:think: Hmm.... Since when Command Line are ever 'advanced'? :think:

Those are the stuff I have to learn and memorise way back when I was learning the computer as a kid.

No learn DOS = Cannot use PC = No Games :sweat:

And the other trick my teacher made us learn COBOL was that once we know programming, we would be able to write our own games. Ok, kids back then were rather impressionable so we learnt and memorised all that we could. :sweatsm:

Watcher said:
Monad is a command line taps into the entire .Net framework. That means yes, Winforms, ADO.Net, threading, invoking COM objects, having security with assertion and roles, webservices, etc.

Giving access is one thing, controlling it and connecting to other resources to go beyond your box is another.
That would depend on how permissions are given to the individual users including admin & the root user. :)

I'm impressed when I read abt it sometime back being the converted *NIX user I am now. But with the final release being delayed and delayed till the horn blowing gets so long, I'm starting to wonder if its all fluff.

Anyway, will adopt a wait-&-see attitude. If eye-candy's can make a noob user say that its 'powerful', I'm not sure what the command line will do to him. :bsmilie:

jsbn said:
That would depend on how permissions are given to the individual users including admin & the root user. :)
The features are not permission-limited. The resouces are. Let say you need to access a DB using MSH, if you have the permission to access the db, it is no different from writing a program. However, the scripting allows users to reuse the cmdlet and chain it up to other cmdlets, unlike a normal stand-alone program.
jsbn said:
I'm impressed when I read abt it sometime back being the converted *NIX user I am now. But with the final release being delayed and delayed till the horn blowing gets so long, I'm starting to wonder if its all fluff.

Anyway, will adopt a wait-&-see attitude. If eye-candy's can make a noob user say that its 'powerful', I'm not sure what the command line will do to him. :bsmilie:
Well, MSH is in Beta 3 (released in Dec 2005). You can run it today. Hopefully will see it fully released within 6 mths of Vista...

Noobies will not understand CLI...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.