Windows 8.1 sucks...

rhino123

Sep 1, 2006
NA
Well... just feel like warning the bros and sis here...

I gotten a Acer Aspire P3 because it was small and light, just nice for me to bring overseas on working trip without the hassle of lugging my Fujitsu around.

My Acer was preloaded with the Windows 8 and a intel HD 4000 graphic system. It was pretty smooth running. Then I backside ichy and update my windows to windows 8.1... and that is where my nightmare being... my graphic card ease to function... it show me the freaking Code 43 error and I try updating the driver... don't work at all... in the beginning it show me that I have the latest driver... then I uninstall my driver, then reload my driver in again. Don't work at all.

I surf the net abit on this issues and found heaps of complain in the net (slapped myself for not reading the net). Luckily the good people in Acer included two recovery disks with the P3... and I am able to 'downgrade' my system back to Windows 8 and it was working ever so fine and smoothly now.

So, my advise is... if you gotten a windows 8 device... don't upgrade it. Read the reviews and forums first... microsoft might come up with a new patch (which I seriously doubt because this issues seemed to be there forever).

I happen to have also purchased a new notebook. HP envy 15 and it is running on window 8.1. No problem with mine so far but a bit of getting use to it since I previously use window 7.

I think it is more your laptop issue or related.

Enough said... :bsmilie:

ku-xlarge.jpg

The very reason I'm still on Win7 and will remain so till Microsoft come out with something more like Win7...

ku-xlarge.jpg

The very reason I'm still on Win7 and will remain so till Microsoft come out with something more like Win7...

Looking at the trend, the successor of window 8 would be GOOD. LOL

I think its rather unfair to call it bad on the whole just because of the graphic card driver. Uncle BT got it working.
I tried win 8.x on the displays, and I think its quite promising. But with $199 acer chromebooks, its a tough competition

thanks for the info ! i have paid and ordered alienware , it comes with 8.0, i was thinking " hmm...why 8.0, why no 8.1? nvm, i will upgrade it myself, since it is free".

then i read your post...

mine is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Ti, think your is driver compatibility issue?

Last edited:
Well... I think the main issue is that when you got your device brand new (pre loaded with Win 8.1) then there is no problem (my bro gotten a Sony and it was working fine according to him (he bought his comp with 8.1 pre-installed).

But if you update it from Win 8 or lower windows version... that is where the problem came up... even with a driver that said compatible with windows 8.1, it simply don't work.

The graphic card I used is the Intel HD Graphics 4000. Mine is not the only comp with issues,

https://communities.intel.com/message/210223
https://communities.intel.com/thread/45613
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19530108.aspx (this one is on NVIDIA)

I gotten a Acer Aspire P3 because it was small and light, just nice for me to bring overseas on working trip without the hassle of lugging my Fujitsu around.

My Acer was preloaded with the Windows 8 and a intel HD 4000 graphic system. It was pretty smooth running. Then I backside ichy and update my windows to windows 8.1... and that is where my nightmare being... my graphic card ease to function... it show me the freaking Code 43 error and I try updating the driver... don't work at all... in the beginning it show me that I have the latest driver... then I uninstall my driver, then reload my driver in again. Don't work at all.

I surf the net abit on this issues and found heaps of complain in the net (slapped myself for not reading the net). Luckily the good people in Acer included two recovery disks with the P3... and I am able to 'downgrade' my system back to Windows 8 and it was working ever so fine and smoothly now.

So, my advise is... if you gotten a windows 8 device... don't upgrade it. Read the reviews and forums first... microsoft might come up with a new patch (which I seriously doubt because this issues seemed to be there forever).

Did the URL below work for you ?

http://www.acer.com.sg/ac/en/SG/content/windows81-update

Ur meaning? the first thing I do is to go to the Acer website when I find that my graphic card ease working to look for a solution. And of course any downloads there don't work. If it works, I wouldn't have to go through the problem of using a recovery disc to get back to Windows 8 and would have happily stay with the newer 8.1.

For your information.

http://www.informationweek.com/software/operating-systems/8-reasons-to-hate-windows-81/d/d-id/898905

About the Metro Live Tiles user interface heated by many.
I guess that Steve Balmer may be secretly losing his eyesight. That explains his approval for the big ugly coloured tiles on the desktop.

I read that once you update to 8.1 it seems Microsoft prevents you from gong back to 8. Not sure if that is your experience.

Actually it allow you to do it... but you need a recovery disc. Acer gave me the disk so it is alright :)

Ur meaning? the first thing I do is to go to the Acer website when I find that my graphic card ease working to look for a solution. And of course any downloads there don't work. If it works, I wouldn't have to go through the problem of using a recovery disc to get back to Windows 8 and would have happily stay with the newer 8.1.

The URL provided the procedures to follow before and after the upgrade.

Brother, have you tried to go back to DOS and see how with the new machine? :)

Sion meant it as a joke.

However, DOS is actually powerful.

I just used a DOS command to count the total number of files with a particular file extension, breakdown into individual folders with subtotals and output report to text file.

You can choose target as whole hard drive or a specific folder.

Only a 1 line DOS command.

Result done fast, even for inspecting the whole drive.

Last edited:
The URL provided the procedures to follow before and after the upgrade.

I have followed their instruction, that is what I have been trying to convey. However, if you find that it work for you, then be happy and use your win 8.1. The fact is that it don't work for me, so I sent this as a warning to all. And from the net, you can see there are quite a bit of people who couldn't get it working... so there.

ku-xlarge.jpg

You missed out windows 2000, and windows NT... Unless you are talking about non enterprise user only. ;)

I have followed their instruction, that is what I have been trying to convey. However, if you find that it work for you, then be happy and use your win 8.1. The fact is that it don't work for me, so I sent this as a warning to all. And from the net, you can see there are quite a bit of people who couldn't get it working... so there.

After so many years of using Microsoft, I leart one thing: Microsoft screws you over again and again. Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Brother, have you tried to go back to DOS and see how with the new machine? :)

You need DOS drivers to link up all those devices. Remember to use HIMEM for drivers to conserve lower memory for program. :bsmilie: