Windows 7 is coming! Who is going to buy???

Who is buying Windows 7???

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac for my studies, work and post processing.. :thumbsup:

Windows XP for my gaming and entertainment.. Reason being xp only needs 512mb to run it.

Always good to have the best of both worlds..

Hehehehehe.... I really can't stand that crappy one button pad...

You can't put two fingers on the pad and click? ;)

It's much simpler and it works for right- or left-handed people equally. Even my machine from 2005 supports it. Two finger scrolling from that same pad, horizontal or vertical works anywhere on the pad, not just special areas on specially-equipped machines.

Every article I've read suggests that Microsoft has borrowed a few ideas from Apple to finish Windows Vista, errr, Windows 7. I hope it really does work so well because Vista is a pain.

Yesterday, I was trying to speed up my mum's machine's Windows updates. As soon as I attached my phone for a 3G connection, the computer decided that it was new hardware. When it finished, I could no longer connect the usual way (it tried to dial through the modem instead) and had to use the vendor's special software.

Me too....dumb one button so primitive :)

Hehehehehe.... I really can't stand that crappy one button pad...

Every article I've read suggests that Microsoft has borrowed a few ideas from Apple to finish Windows Vista, errr, Windows 7. I hope it really does work so well because Vista is a pain.
So far even the dumbest computer idiot can install Vista without a pain just by inserting the Vista DVD and let Windows do everything. However, YMMV.

Actually, I don't really care about who is copying who. If they can come out with creative ways to improve productivity, I am up for it. Its not like M$ totally copy it. It adds a lot of improvements which I quite like. (except for the gadgets!)

From my experience after owning a few Macs (the most recent the 24" iMac), they are really a pain when they go down due to poorly designed hardware or don't really live up to the hype. I had a love and hate relationship with it. I sold it and got myself a PC. Life goes back to normal again. As always, YMMV.

We can do a tit for tat session until the cows go home but most importantly if you are happy with your system, that's all that matters. I love my PC.

PS: Because its running both Windows and OS X. ;)

Last edited:
Read carefully, he didn't say installing Vista is a pain, he just said that it is a pain, which can mean anything from installation, usage, maintenance to the whole user experience.

So far even the dumbest computer idiot can install Vista without a pain just by inserting the Vista DVD and let Windows do everything. However, YMMV.

Actually, I don't really care about who is copying who. If they can come out with creative ways to improve productivity, I am up for it. Its not like M$ totally copy it. It adds a lot of improvements which I quite like. (except for the gadgets!)

From my experience after owning a few Macs (the most recent the 24" iMac), they are really a pain when they go down due to poorly designed hardware or don't really live up to the hype. I had a love and hate relationship with it. I sold it and got myself a PC. Life goes back to normal again. As always, YMMV.

We can do a tit for tat session until the cows go home but most importantly if you are happy with your system, that's all that matters. I love my PC.

PS: Because its running both Windows and OS X. ;)

Read carefully, he didn't say installing Vista is a pain, he just said that it is a pain, which can mean anything from installation, usage, maintenance to the whole user experience.

Thank you! :)

He totally ignored the part where I enjoyed Vista so much, as he removed it from the quoted post. :bsmilie: :bigeyes:

Even my WinXP machine since SP2 doesn't try to re-configure devices once they've been discovered by the system.

Yes I read that paragraph fully understood what he meant. I was just making an illustration... Jeez.. you guys work in a law firm or what?? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Perhaps then you may wish to not quote in your post; because a quote is commonly understood to mean that your post is directed towards the portions quoted.

Jeez, you work in an arthouse or what? (I'm merely reversing the unnecessary point back to you) :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Yes I read that paragraph fully understood what he meant. I was just making an illustration... Jeez.. you guys work in a law firm or what?? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

From the blurb I sat through tonight at one of their presentations.....

What a load of cr+p !!!

Just my view from a MS launch....

I see no other reason other than to upgrade your ram and stick with Vista ...if you are not lucky enough to have XP.

windoiws7 will not cook you breakfast and make your tea

Actually, there's a very compelling reason to upgrade from XP to Win 7. For users who need 64bit computing, Windows 7 is the only viable option as XP64bit is some half baked version of 64bit OSes.

There's limited support for XP64 as well, so it's either Vista64 or Win7-64 (in which the choice is obvious).

Windows won't make you breakfast, but I think it'll give you less frustration compared to Vista. ;)

I guess we shall wait and see how Windows 7 performs. I'm still on XP and have been happy on it since becuase its far more stable and less fiddly to use. Maybe the rest of us XP diehards can leapfrog to 7 if it stands up to the mark. We know that Vista did not.

Pardon my ignorance, but you mean you can install mac OS on PC? :bigeyes:
How can I do that?

Well, you can look for the pirated version, which may or may not work on the generic hardware you have. Google is your friend.

Hey, precision is important. I've your going to make an illustration, I want to see a pretty scene, not a hack job on what I say. :bsmilie:

Pardon my ignorance, but you mean you can install mac OS on PC? :bigeyes:
How can I do that?

Well, you can look for the pirated version, which may or may not work on the generic hardware you have. Google is your friend.

Yes, I'm trying it out this couple of days when I have the time. I figure that if I want to use Mac as a surfing n working n I still wants the performance of a pc for work n gaming, no point for me to get 2 coms.

Waste of space n $$$. U need to download a mapping software before installing Mac OS into a pc. After which, get another patch program for running n updates.

It might not work 100% for all systems config but still works. Cos Apple only design the OS for specific types of hardware that they put into the Mac. Unless u get exactly the same hardware configuration, chances for running it at 100% is less but at least u can get @ 99% when the config is similar.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm trying it out this couple of days when I have the time. I figure that if I want to use Mac as a surfing n working n I still wants the performance of a pc for work n gaming, no point for me to get 2 coms.

Waste of space n $$$. U need to download a mapping software before installing Mac OS into a pc. After which, get another patch program for running n updates.

It might not work 100% for all systems config but still works. Cos Apple only design the OS for specific types of hardware that they put into the Mac. Unless u get exactly the same hardware configuration, chances for running it at 100% is less but at least u can get @ 99% when the config is similar.
All the info is here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

However, this thread is about Windows 7. ;)

Hi GoheadGostern,

A late reply from me but....

I first thought that from the presentation they didn't show me any thing that had Wow factor.

At least nothing that would prompt me to pay for it.

Then I think that I was put off by the people that did the MS presentation when I asked, "will it show RAW images" ....

They didn't even know what a raw image was :nono:

At that point I lost interest with the presentation.

2 days later I downloaded a Beta version from MS and installed on my laptop.

I found the interface to be very bland, and simple things such as setting up a network harder than both XP and Vista.

Maybe I did not spend the time to work with Windows7, but should I have to ?

Isn't it meant to be even easier ?

Just my view :)

Hi again GoheadGostern,

I guess that week was not one of my best weeks for replies :bsmilie:

I have looked into the windows7 usage by asking those at work and our tech guy.

My personal problem is that my laptop (3 years old) is too old... drivers are not available.

A co-worker has a laptop 1 year old and had no trouble with drivers etc...
it even recognised a new keyboard and mouse he plugged into it and gave it's name and model:thumbsup:

Our tech agrees that it will not detect early hardware and drivers are close to none, but, does say that on the right gear it works well and faster than Vista.

It erks me that Vista found all the drivers except the PCMCIA port and card (SD etc) port, yet Windows7 found those ports but not anything else such as the WIFI/sound/graphics :dunno:

So my assumption is if you have a computer no more than 1 year old or are about to buy/build a new one Windows 7 is a good idea if you want best performance from it.

Personally I will stick to XP Pro untill I have no choice....

Cheers

As always, it is best to check for compability issues first before making the plunge. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.