Win Xp installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Hi

I need more help here. i Tried booting it fr the cd and from there, I followed the instructions to install. However, after the first reboot by the setup, I went into this XP logo screen and it freezes over there. It is also quite dim looking. Can anyone help?

This problem may be caused by :

-Conflict in hardware
-Bad installation disc(are you using original/pirated?)

You can:

-Reboot your system and try from step one
-Change your disc

And btw, remove all external storage device(smartmedia,cf) before installing. The last time I did, I forgot to take out my smartmedia and XP detect it as boot sector.

Originally posted by Falcon
Hi

I need more help here. i Tried booting it fr the cd and from there, I followed the instructions to install. However, after the first reboot by the setup, I went into this XP logo screen and it freezes over there. It is also quite dim looking. Can anyone help?

Normally if it installs succesfully and proceeds to first reboot there shouldn't be any problem with the installation.

One thing to note is that the NT kernel is less forgiving of errors than Win98. So such things as memory or CPU instability will result in a lockup pretty quickly.

Try setting your CPU to a lower speed(default if you have overclocked, or even underclock a little just to be sure).

Also, set your ram timings to the slowest/most conservative settings if possible.

There should be a setting in bios that does this for you if you are not sure, select->failsafe defaults.

If all else fails, remove all your internal cards, leaving the video card and do a progressive install. Add a card back with each successful install until you find the culprit thats stopping the installation process.

If i'm gonna bet, I'm gonna bet that it's not hardware failure because in the first part of installation(which you've already gone thru) should have been unpassable if you have hardware error.

if cannot, i am considering win2k instead. what u guys think?

if cannot, i am considering win2k instead. what u guys think?

No harm trying. Maybe you want to try installing from dos. Boot from a startup disk. Browse intoto the win2k cd's folder i386 and type winnt.exe to start the installation of win2k.

Latest update:

I can't install win2k n win xp but can install win98. could be due to my 4gig hard disk?

Latest update:

I can't install win2k n win xp but can install win98. could be due to my 4gig hard disk?

hmm....your 4gb hard disk meets the system requirements of both win2k and winxp.

Any error while installing win2k?

Originally posted by revenant

hmm....your 4gb hard disk meets the system requirements of both win2k and winxp.

Any error while installing win2k?

Hmm... that what could be the problem then. Another observation is that in the win98 environment i can see question marks over my PCI multimedia device and audio device in the device mananger section. Could that be the problem?

did you do a clean installation or you just "upgraded" it with win98 in your harddisk? Also if you are going to use the NTFS table, do a format instead of convert FAT32 to NTFS. One more thing, did you boot from the cdrom? If so, take out the winxp disc when it starts to reboot after installation for the 1st time and go to Bios and change the boot drive setting back to your HD. Don't ask me why coz I also dunno about this but one of my friend also have this WINXP logo struck during the 1st reboot after installation and he tried everything and somehow this method worked for him. One last thing, try not to do the installation with a overclocked processor. Just leave everything as default in terms of clockspeed and after installation then overclock.;)

the os just got prob lah..
I have something that runs properly on winME, but to run XP with NO sound, NO video accel and NO USB I have to underclock my bus to 30MHz... progressive install dun work either... surprisingly the ficklest network card is the only one that installs ok....

Falcon,

Just a thought... did you disable the BIOS antivirus feature (if it has one). Cos I've read somewhere that this does affect Windows installation as it prevents the OS from writing to the bootsector (thinking it could be a virus).

Status
Not open for further replies.