Will Your CMOS be unable to capture details after it surpass The Shutter Life ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeWithoutCrutches

May 27, 2009
Hey Guys I'm Curious To know if the CMOS sensor Loss its ability over time or when it hits its shutter life ?

Can the CMOs (wear and tear)?

Hey Guys I'm Curious To know if the CMOS sensor Loss its ability over time or when it hits its shutter life ?

The sensor is separate from the shutter and will not affect one or the other. You can just simply replace the shutter assembly thru your manufacturer's service centre for a fee. But if the sensor is dead, then it's another different case

The sensor is NOT the shutter. It's the equivalent of asking if the sofa in your house will be less effective if you open and close the door a lot.

Haha!! This is a hilarious question... The CMOS sensor and the shutter are 2 separate components... One can still work if the other fails.

Haha!! This is a hilarious question... The CMOS sensor and the shutter are 2 separate components... One can still work if the other fails.

I think TS is asking if there is a lifespan to the cmos censor like the shutter. He uses shuttercount unknowingly to replace what we would term as "lifespan" for the cmos sensor.

Oh, and from what i have gathered, like all electronics component, it will inevitably degrade but the possibility of failure is very remote. Consider how rare it is to get ONE dead pixel on your sensor and then use that number probability to compound the odds for million of pixels failing together. :think:

See this article http://www.pcworld.com/article/111467-3/digital_focus_polarizing_lenses.html

Last edited:
everything will eventually fail, nothing will last forever
buy what you need now, knowing fully that it will fail eventually and have to be replaced

Oh ok So does that mean " Image Quality will Drop " Over a Long period of Time after using your Camera Like maybe 3 years (lets say every week take about 250 pictures) ???( The sensors ability to Capture ERM Stuff )

I think TS is asking if there is a lifespan to the cmos censor like the shutter. He uses shuttercount unknowingly to replace what we would term as "lifespan" for the cmos sensor.

yes i dun think TS meant that the shutter and sensor are connected, as he was just simply asking if the shutter count number is based on the wear and tear of the shutter, or the wear and tear of the sensor ...

answer should be shutter count is based on shutter alone

Oh ok So does that mean " Image Quality will Drop " Over a Long period of Time after using your Camera Like maybe 3 years (lets say every week take about 250 pictures) ???( The sensors ability to Capture ERM Stuff )

The sensor doesn't wear out. It doesn't matter for the sensor whether you take 50,000 images in a month or in 3 years. But maybe in the comparison to other (newer) cameras you will feel that your 3 year old sensor is at losing end - simply because technology advances.
Worry less, enjoy taking pictures.

you might get dead pixels, but it is very rare

shutter will die first

i think you would replace the camera before you start to get problems with sensor

and EVERYTHING wears and tears

Since nothing touches the sensor (unless your finger does...), the sensor rarely dies before the shutter.Dead shutter can usually replace for about $200-$400 but I think a sensor would cost WAY MORE TO REPAIR.

Since nothing touches the sensor (unless your finger does...), the sensor rarely dies before the shutter.Dead shutter can usually replace for about $200-$400 but I think a sensor would cost WAY MORE TO REPAIR.

By the time the sensor dies, you might be better off buying a newer model given the technology advances.

I have had sensor failure for my old pns before its shutter failed

Don't worry about touching the sensor.

You CAN'T reach it normally... it's protected by a AA filter. What you're cleaning anyway is also that.... just the filter in front of the sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.